What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Bitter Tea of General Yen -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Delving back into the vaults, Columbia has licensed Frank (R.) Capra's 1932 The Bitter Tea of General Yen, to Amazon, who are supplying orders with burned copies.

The fact that the discs are burned should be of no relevance to consumers. They're fine. Get one that's problematic, it will be replaced.

I noted in another review, that Amazon remains a seller of illegal goods, both in hard discs, as well as digital downloads. With so many tendrils out there, inclusive of miscellaneous marketplace sellers the problem may simply be flying very low on their radar.

I've actually spoken with their reps, who seem to feign interest, and then do nothing. Possibly if they were contacted by the copyright owners...

This licensed disc, is of typical Columbia quality, meaning that every bit of image and attainable audio, has been harvested as perfectly as possible, from extant film elements.

The final result is extremely pleasing, with grain, a decent gray scale, and proper resolution. At times, black levels are less than perfect, but we're dealing with dupe elements.

Something that came to mind, was a question.

Why are there so many instances of Asian roles being played by actors who have a Danish / Swedish heritage? Or anything but someone of the proper heritage.

Think Nils Asther (Danish, raised in Sweden) as General Yen, Warner Oland (Swedish) as Charlie Chan, Oland was replaced by an American, Sidney Toler, c. 1938., Richard Barthelmess (as The Yellow Man), in Broken Blossoms, Katharine Hepburn as Jade Tan in the 1944 Dragon Seed, or possibly the most excruciatingly embarrassing of all, Mickey Rooney, as, well... you know.

As a film, Bitter Tea stands the test of time nicely.

Historically, it was the first film to run at Radio City Music Hall.

It arrived on DVD several years ago, presumably from the same master. The Blu-ray is a definite upgrade, and should be a part of any serious collection, inclusive of the work of Mr. Capra.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade - Yes!

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Which Mickey Rooney film:role is Mr. Harristalking about? Deed Al Sham? Pinocchio? Andy Hardy? I'm curious to know which film he was perhaps terrible in.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Which Mickey Rooney film:role is Mr. Harristalking about? Deed Al Sham? Pinocchio? Andy Hardy? I'm curious to know which film he was perhaps terrible in.
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Mickey Rooney himself, expressed regret at accepting that particular role in the above film, in his 1991 autobiography. It is what it is.

CHEERS! :)

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
It was a product of the time. The film is very intriguing and interesting. The cinematography is stunning. Beautiful transfer and I had never heard of this film before.

Dave Blair

Agent
Real Name
David Blair
I am confused. Amazon notes this disc as both Bluray and MOD on DVD-R. I have never encountered a Bluray Mod. Amazons image of disc package does not indicate that disc is Blu. Any ideas?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I am confused. Amazon notes this disc as both Bluray and MOD on DVD-R. I have never encountered a Bluray Mod. Amazons image of disc package does not indicate that disc is Blu. Any ideas?

The "Sony Choice Collection" are burned BD-Rs.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I am really looking forward to this. Such a fascinating and atmospheric film.

STANW.JPG

Last edited:

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
It was a product of the time.

True.. In those days (like always) they were primarily interested in filling a role with a good actor and/or a big star (preferably both qualities, ofcourse). Unlike today, they were simply not as concerned with that actor or actress being "authentic" or literally representative of that nationality/ heritage... Most people, westerners or otherwise, were not so bothered by such practices, either. While I'm thrilled that, over time, greater and greater effort has been made to use actors/stars of a appropriate heritage - and ofcourse, now it's nearly unthinkable, in these politically-correct (sometimes overly-sensitive) times - at least from a business standpoint, one can understand the thinking then.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
True.. In those days (like always) they were primarily interested in filling a role with a good actor and/or a big star (preferably both qualities, ofcourse). Unlike today, they were simply not as concerned with that actor or actress being "authentic" or literally representative of that nationality/ heritage... Most people, westerners or otherwise, were not so bothered by such practices, either. While I'm thrilled that, over time, greater and greater effort has been made to use actors/stars of a appropriate heritage - and ofcourse, now it's nearly unthinkable, in these politically-correct (sometimes overly-sensitive) times - at least from a business standpoint, one can understand the thinking then.

It’s very much a matter of keeping the times in consideration, regardless of how uncomfortable it may make some feel today.

I recall working with the original Technicolor cutting and timing sheets for Henry King’s 1939, Jesse James, and feeling a bit gobsmacked seeing certain shots with the simple identification, MS Darky.

Whomever created the pages was identifying Ernest Whitman, a wonderful actor, last seen in Mr. Ford’s, The Sun Shines Bright, in 1953.

Even seeing it innocently on paper, left me troubled.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s very much a matter of keeping the times in consideration, regardless of how uncomfortable it may make some feel today.

I recall working with the original Technicolor cutting and timing sheets for Henry King’s 1939, Jesse James, and feeling a bit gobsmacked seeing certain shots with the simple identification, MS Darky.

Whomever created the pages was identifying Ernest Whitman, a wonderful actor, last seen in Mr. Ford’s, The Sun Shines Bright, in 1953.

Even seeing it innocently on paper, left me troubled.
Tell me about it, when I first viewed that movie back when I was about 10 years old or so, I was offended about the use of that term as a young African-American kid. However, I quickly remembered a previous discussion I had with my parents after seeing "To Kill a Mockingbird" in a movie theater for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks