What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Accountant -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Gavin O'Connor's The Accountant may sound like one of those low-budget affairs. You know, the one's with the substitute teacher, or whomever.

It's not.

I missed it theatrically, and have only now caught up with it on Warner's 4k release.

I've come away impressed.

At it's heart, I'm seeing it as a combination of a super-hero film, but without the capes or uniforms, and a Hitchcock production, seen through the eyes of Brian De Palma, c. 1980, but now with a bit of John Wick added.

It's an interesting film, with enough genuine surprises, that it works well.

Shot on film (35/3), and finished as a 2k DI, the 4k release appears as one might surmise that it would, with a bit of HDR waved over the glass as an extra treat.

Audio, in DTS-HD MA 7.1 is superb.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
At it's heart, I'm seeing it as a combination of a super-hero film, but without the capes or uniforms, and a Hitchcock production, seen through the eyes of Brian De Palma, c. 1980, but now with a bit of John Wick added.
Yes, John Wick. I've been hearing a lot about him lately. Time to investigate.:)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I really liked this movie one of my favorites last year. I thought it was very well executed and had enough twists and turns to keep you going.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really liked this movie one of my favorites last year. I thought it was very well executed and had enough twists and turns to keep you going.
Same here! I caught it during its theatrical run and have watched it again on 4K/UHD disc.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Really liked this one too. Will pick up the UHD disc when it goes on sale

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just watched this today on UHD. Picture and sound were superb, of course, but I was SO very impressed with the intelligence of the story construction. There were quite a few real-time and flashback stories going on but splintered and put together in a jigsaw-like format (symbolized by the puzzle the child puts together early on) that continually kept the viewer on his toes to sort everything out. The BIG revelation that I assume was meant to be a big surprise near the end was easy to spot (the character as a child just disappeared for most of the movie, so why have him if he wasn't going to turn up importantly later on), but other than that, I think this is one of the more under-appreciated movies of recent times.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched this today on UHD. Picture and sound were superb, of course, but I was SO very impressed with the intelligence of the story construction. There were quite a few real-time and flashback stories going on but splintered and put together in a jigsaw-like format (symbolized by the puzzle the child puts together early on) that continually kept the viewer on his toes to sort everything out. The BIG revelation that I assume was meant to be a big surprise near the end was easy to spot (the character as a child just disappeared for most of the movie, so why have him if he wasn't going to turn up importantly later on), but other than that, I think this is one of the more under-appreciated movies of recent times.
A personal favorite film from the past year. I saw that surprise coming to, but I also loved the other surprise too.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
By coincidence I watched this in 4K last night. Good flick with unusual charcters and a few surprises. Top notch. I really didn't see that much resemblance to John Wick.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Still waiting for a UHD sale:(
I waited and waited and waited for a sale, and then just happened to find the UHD/BD set on Ebay for a very reasonable price and free shipping. Really just a fluke that I found one so cheaply.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was talking to my sister this morning and she was telling me how much she enjoyed The Accountant. I was surprise since this film had so much violence in it, but being a former financial analyst that aspect of the film caught her eye and she was able to really enjoy this entire film.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I was talking to my sister this morning and she was telling me how much she enjoyed The Accountant. I was surprise since this film had so much violence in it, but being a former financial analyst that aspect of the film caught her eye and she was able to really enjoy this entire film.

My wife was the same way, which also surprised me a bit with the violence... This was her favorite movie last year. She was an accountant and auditor so I think she like the tie in to her world. Although I have never seen her use a .50 cal sniper rifle. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks