What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Between 1937 and 1955, Fred Quimby produced over 240 animated shorts, ie Cartoons. You'll see his name as producer on this set.

The Tex Avery shorts included - 19 of them - are some of his finest work at the studio. But let's get numbers out of the way.

He started his career working for Walter Lantz in 1930, and moved to Warner in 1935, working under Leon Schlesinger. His first there was Gold Diggers of '49, working on many of the Daffy and Porky films.

In 1942, he made the move to M-G-M, starting with Blitz Wolf, which currently has an element problem

Mr. Avery directed over 90 films, through 1957.

Warner Archive's initial offering, 19 in total makes a nice dent toward getting the complete M-G-M Avery films to Blu-ray, and it does it in the requisite quality, even using secondary elements for many of the films.

Most of you are aware of the Eastman House fire.

The majority of the M-G-M nitrate cartoon SE negatives were lost.

Volume 1 is a treasure trove of Technicolor cartoons.

Red Hot Riding Hood - 1943
Who Killed Who - 1943
What's Buzzin' Buzzard - 1943
Dumb-Hounded - 1943
Batty Baseball - 1944
Screwball Squirrel - 1944
Big Heel-Watha - 1944
The Screwy Truant - 1945
The Hick Chick - 1946
Lonesome Lenny - 1946
Hound Hunters - 1947
Red Hot Rangers - 1947
Bad Luck Blackie - 1949
Wags to Riches - 1949
The Garden Gopher - 1950
The Peachy Cobbler - 1950
The Chump Champ - 1950
Symphony in Slang - 1951
Daredevil Droopy - 1951

For those who truly know their color, some may see a small difference between SE material and CRIs, but it's nothing about which to be concerned.

I can only think of two words that need to be said:

"More please!"

Every card carrying cinephile needs a copy of this. It arrives in a couple of weeks, and is currently at a street of $22. That's $1.16 per film.

Possibly illegal in some states.

Image - 4.25 - 5.0

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - without a doubt

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pre-ordered and patiently awaiting delivery later this month after waiting 20 years for this. A lot of these I simply haven't seen in years (or even decades), but this volume is worth it just for Red Hot Riding Hood (obviously), Dumb-Hounded, Wags to Riches, Symphony in Slang, Who Killed Who?, and Screwball Squirrel.

Really, I'll buy absolutely any theatrical animation Warner Archive puts out. I'm not even a big fan of the Famous Studios Popeyes, but the new 4K-sourced Blu-rays of those make even lesser cartoons into something special. I can only imagine essential classics like Avery's work given the same treatment.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Both of those sites are more expensive than Amazon. As someone who doesn't need to have the disc the exact day of release I'm happy paying less for it.

Not if you're in AUS or NZ like Murray once you add shipping and GST. Amazon appears to be $29USD to NZ, WOWHD appears to be $4-5NZD less

If you're in the US -- Deep Discount had it for 16.50 a few days ago and Bullmoose will likely have it under $16 when they get their pre-order up probably this week so cheaper and most likely get it earlier than Amazon. OTOH if you really don't have to have it early just wait until it's $10-12 around Father's Day at B&N or this summer at WbShop

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I would add BAD LUCK BLACKIE and HOUND HUNTERS to the list of what makes this release a must-buy.

They could have rounded the shorts off to an even 20 for a 115-minute collection and included one of those, or both, but even before receiving this disc, I am already looking forward to Volume Two!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
They could have rounded the shorts off to an even 20 for a 115-minute collection and included one of those, or both, but even before receiving this disc, I am already looking forward to Volume Two!!

presuming either of those films is ready to go

ThadK

Second Unit
The preview clips posted by Warner Archive look very nice, but Daredevil Droopy and Symphony in Slang have obviously distorted audio noise reduction. Are these the only titles affected?

Also, Avery went to MGM in 1941, and he was gone in 1953 (after he was fired). He only directed 65 cartoons there (remakes of two of his cartoons were made years after he was gone, and his friends Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera afforded him screen credit).

Last edited:

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
These aren't edited in anyway shape or form, similar to what Disney has done with some of their Disney+ offerings, are they?

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I'm worried about the Audio distortion too. You wouldn't have given the audio a 5/5 if there was anything obviously wrong with the audio?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m unfortunately unable to double check tracks at the moment, but noted nothing untoward. If one was really desirous of doing so properly, best thing is to run an original print on a non-updated projection system, using ancient amps and speakers, set up to run the films as they were at the time of release.

I did listen to a bit of one of the YouTube samples, and it did sound a bit tinny on my iPad, which has a smaller amp, and no Voice of the Theater speakers.

Way too bulky, and will not fit in the overhead compartment.

Thought it sounded fine on my projection system, but will recheck. Dealing with other problems currently.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve checked both. Symphony sounds fine. Daredevil tends to be a bit bright on high frequency effects, as well as the ringmaster’s voice, but I have no reference to original material.

ThadK

Second Unit
I do have Daredevil Droopy in 16mm and it sounds fine there. But the cartoon on the Boomerang app and the Droopy DVD sounds much better than that YouTube clip. Sounds like someone just threw a noise reduction filter on the track for the BD. I will say that the color looks excellent and we're getting more of the picture here than in any other version I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks