What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While the latest in the Terminator series will presumably be popular with fans, I wasn't quite certain what to make of it.

I understood the storyline. It's simple.

People or machines (or a combination of them) from the past, and or, present have travelled back (or forward) in time to stop something terrible from occurring, that may or may not have already happened.

The production seems to take a position that any films in the series, after the first two, weren't.

Shot digitally, with anamorphic optics, the film (is it a film, if it's not a film?) is generally very good looking, although it doesn't seem to be true 4k material - possibly because of the sheer number of effects.

What caught my eye, or in this case, didn't, was the fact that at least in projection, Dark Fate is one of those productions that takes a "dark as a bat's groin at midnight" position toward the audience's ability to discern what is going on, who is on screen, and what are they doing.

The final reel is SO dark, that had it been shot on film, one might have cut color clear into the OCN, and allowed processing defects to stand in place of some sort of image.

That is, however, the production, as created. Or at least I presume it is, as the port to a 4k disc should not have changed data one way or another. I viewed this in projection, and not equipped with Dolby Vision. Will check and see if a flat panel makes a major difference.

If viewing in projection, consider the final 20 minutes or so, as a way to rest one's eyes, and just take in the wonderfully strong Dolby Atmos.

"The Terminator movie we've been waiting for" - Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
After reading the review, I did not expect it to receive a rating of 5 for image.

Tech ratings do not denote my personal feelings, but rather, how properly the release replicates the intended look of the production. As I mentioned, I’m presuming this was the intended look, not have seen the film theatrically.

When I have a bit of time, I can sample on an OLED, and also compare to the Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While the latest in the Terminator series will presumably be popular with fans, I wasn't quite certain what to make of it.

I understood the storyline. It's simple.

People or machines (or a combination of them) from the past, and or, present have travelled back (or forward) in time to stop something terrible from occurring, that may or may not have already happened.

The productions seems to take a position that any films in the series, after the first two, weren't.

Shot digitally, with anamorphic optics, the film (is it a film, if it's not a film?) is generally very good looking, although it doesn't seem to be true 4k material - possibly because of the sheer number of effects.

What caught my eye, or in this case, didn't, was the fact that at least in projection, Dark Fate is one of those productions that takes a "dark as a bat's groin at midnight" position toward the audience's ability to discern what is going on, who is on screen, and what are they doing.

The final reel is SO dark, that had it been shot on film, one might have cut color clear into the OCN, and allowed processing defects to stand in place of some sort of image.

That is, however, the production, as created. Or at least I presume it is, as the port to a 4k disc should not have changed data one way or another. I viewed this in projection, and not equipped with Dolby Vision. Will check and see if a flat panel makes a major difference.

If viewing in projection, consider the final 20 minutes or so, as a way to rest one's eyes, and just take in the wonderfully strong Dolby Atmos.

"The Terminator movie we've been waiting for" - Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH
Popular, I don't think so. I enjoyed it for what it is, but it's far from the first two "Terminator" movies and isn't even in the third one's class which I think is an underrated movie.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Popular, I don't think so. I enjoyed it for what it is, but it's far from the first two "Terminator" movies and isn't even the third one's class which I think is an underrated movie.
That's exactly what I thought. It's okay, if you're in the mood for that kind of thing, and better than the last two, but there's nothing new here. I thought the scenes with Arnold were the best things in the movie.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did like it better than the previous 2.

Agreed. It was frustrating to me because I felt it could’ve been a whole lot better. They brought up some interesting ideas but didn’t take the time to really explore them.

I’d be curious to know how this looks on a panel. The last act was not overly dark in the theater when I saw it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I did see this movie in the theater and while I thought I was good overall there was one scene that I hated as soon as it happened! I will however purchase Dark Fate on 4K UHD Blu-ray as soon as it comes out. I really enjoyed the Linda Hamilton & Arnold Schwarzenegger characters back on the big screen and will enjoy it on my smaller screen at home. There where flaws in the movie but still enjoyable.

Terminator Collection_a.jpg
Not pictured above Terminator Genisys on 4K UHD Bluray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I did see this movie in the theater and while I thought I was good overall there was one scene that I hated as soon as it happened! I will however purchase Dark Fate on 4K UHD Blu-ray as soon as it comes out. I really enjoyed the Linda Hamilton & Arnold Schwarzenegger characters back on the big screen and will enjoy it on my smaller screen at home. There where flaws in the movie but still enjoyable.

View attachment 67269 Not pictured above Terminator Genisys on 4K UHD Bluray.

I liked this film a great deal too. I did not see genisys. I like how this film essentially picks up after T2 Judgement Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks