What's new

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I think you're mistaken, masters like ALIENS are degrained then regrained the Lowry way. Cameron is on record on this process. This same was applied to T2 as I described. There is only a 4K scan with grain of the film prior to all the digital fixes.

brioni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
What a travesty to hear about this one - it should be a go to reference film for home theater UHD setups.
No doubt more versions will appear....the good thing about films with multiple editions!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
At this point, I'm convinced that the old saying, "Nothing is certain but death and taxes," should be amended to, "Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and yet another home video release of T2 and Evil Dead."

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
No it's an all new release. It does contain 3 different versions. Theatrical version is based off this new transfer. The other two versions are Frankensteined from this new transfer & older transfer. The disc menu even says something to the fact for highest quality presentation view the theatrical.

Did the Blu-ray that accompanies the 4K ever get a separate release?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Did the Blu-ray that accompanies the 4K ever get a separate release?
I thought the extended edition on the accompanying BluRay looked lousy- the added scenes had a definite pink tone. I held onto my Skynet edition BluRay for this reason.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought the extended edition on the accompanying BluRay looked lousy- the added scenes had a definite pink tone. I held onto my Skynet edition BluRay for this reason.

I wasn't asking about that - I just wanted to know if the disc that came with the 4K also got an independent release.

I can't find any evidence it did but wanted confirmation either way.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My guess is no.

That's my guess as well - I hoped for "absolute confirmation".

Only reason I wondered: I thought I'd reviewed all the BD versions of "T2" but I realized recently I'd never seen the 2006 original BD... which I didn't know existed. I thought "SkyNet" was the BD debut.

In the interest of "completism", I rented the BD from Netflix under the thought it'd be the 2006.

No - they sent the version that accompanied the 4K.

Which seems odd because Netflix doesn't carry 4K discs.

So why would they have a Blu-ray to rent that only came with a 4K they don't rent? :unsure:

Which then made me wonder if the 4K's "toss-in" BD got a release I missed!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That's my guess as well - I hoped for "absolute confirmation".

Only reason I wondered: I thought I'd reviewed all the BD versions of "T2" but I realized recently I'd never seen the 2006 original BD... which I didn't know existed. I thought "SkyNet" was the BD debut.

In the interest of "completism", I rented the BD from Netflix under the thought it'd be the 2006.

No - they sent the version that accompanied the 4K.

Which seems odd because Netflix doesn't carry 4K discs.

So why would they have a Blu-ray to rent that only came with a 4K they don't rent? :unsure:

Which then made me wonder if the 4K's "toss-in" BD got a release I missed!
I thought the Skynet Edition was the first BluRay. I don’t think the picture is awful, but it takes forever to get to the menu- the worst part of the release.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I watched this tonight and must admit I was more bothered by the change in colors than the "degraining".

Yeah, the image does have that "plastic" look to a degree, but not as badly as with the Skynet BD or some of the other usual DNR culprits.

The colors are really different than in the past, though. The movie always leaned blue, but it had other hues as well - and now they're GONE.

When I flipped between the 4K and the 2015 BD, I was shocked at just how different the colors looked - and having seen "T2" on 87-skillion different formats over the last 26 years, I'm pretty sure the "old colors" were correct...
This is my biggest beef with too many 4Ks. The Lord of the Rings, for example. Peter Jackson had a new look in mind that he said would "unify" the trilogy. I respect Mr. Jackson. They're his movies. His last chance to get what he wants. But a big part of the pleasure I get from these movies is that they fundamentally don't change. Altering the color palette is, in some way, more disturbing than editing a scene out of the recent release of The French Connection because it was deemed racist. Yes, the scene is missing, and I hate that, but I don't ever see the scene because it's gone. There's nowhere else to look at The Lord of the Rings except the images. Every frame looks different not only from the way I saw it multiple times in the theater, but from the way it looked on the DVDs and Blu Rays I have watched for decades. And that's not okay to me as an audience member or a consumer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I thought the Skynet Edition was the first BluRay. I don’t think the picture is awful, but it takes forever to get to the menu- the worst part of the release.

I guess I should say that circa 2023, I thought Skynet was the movie's BD debut, but I may have known differently when I got Skynet in 2009.

I didn't delve into BD until 2009 so I had to play catchup, and since Skynet came out like 2 months after I got my first BD player, there was no reason for me to pursue an older edition.

Anyway, I may well have known about the 2006 BD back then but forgot.

On another board, I referred to Skynet as the movie's debut and was corrected.

Which prompted me to want to see the 2006 BD as mentioned.

But Netflix only has the 2017 BD - which still seems odd given it apparently only comes with the 4K they don't rent!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The 2006, Skynet, and 2014 blu-rays all use the same underlying circa-2001 transfer. Its just the way they were encoded that's different.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
The 2006, Skynet, and 2014 blu-rays all use the same underlying circa-2001 transfer. Its just the way they were encoded that's different.

My understanding is that all of the Blu-rays are sourced from the master first used for the "Extreme Edition" DVD in 2003. Cameron had approved that master back in the day, and getting him to sign-off on another one was such a pain in the butt that the disc producers and home video labels gave up and just kept using the Extreme master.

I believe the 4K release is a new master, finally approved by Cameron, but sadly he asked for it to be DNRed to hell.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
My understanding is that all of the Blu-rays are sourced from the master first used for the "Extreme Edition" DVD in 2003. Cameron had approved that master back in the day, and getting him to sign-off on another one was such a pain in the butt that the disc producers and home video labels gave up and just kept using the Extreme master.

Its actually older than that. The Extreme transfer first showed up on DVHS (hey remember that!) the previous year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks