1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Terminator 2 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I a number of ways I feel it looks better than the version I have on blu-ray. Yes the transfer has a number of things not right but I am not sure I would call it an abomination. Yes it does fall short and this release being what it is doesn't help the format. But somehow I do not see this one bad release damaging the format and what Tristar Pictures should do now is to correct there screw up! I agree this release should have not happened the way it did and this title deserved a better transfer than it got! Is it beyond horible IMHO? With all the flaws it honestly could have looked worse and what saved it to a certain extent maybe was what 4K UHD brings to the table. Personally I feel that even though I chose to keep my 4K blu-ray the studio needs to do a new transfer and do it right 100% and we shouldn't have to wait another 6-8 years for a transfer done right. This is freakin Terminator 2 and it and we the fans deserve better! I will do a second viewing and maybe I feel a little different after a second viewing? For those of us that purchased this 4K release the studio should let us exchange it for a corrected version! Has anyone seen or heard anything from Cameron or the studio regarding the quality of this release? I am going to think about picking up the newer skynet edition at this point but maybe the studio shouldn't get any more of my cash until they fix this?

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Released: 6-27-2006
    UPC Code: 012236191513
    Aspect Ratio 2.35:1
    Audio: 5.1 DTS-ES & Dolby Digital EX

20171231_192930.
    20171231_192938.

2. Message #42 of 85 Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Received my copy last night and while it could be better I don't feel the 4k disc is an "abomination".

Image - 3.75(if the blue laser blasts in that one shot were the correct color it would be a 4.0)

Audio - 4.5(should have had an Atmos remix)

An upgrade from previous Blu-rays? - Yes

Richard V likes this.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    image.
    This is a title card before the start of my 4K disc.

Looks like the 4K version is based off that 3D master.

4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Well I thought it was definitely the best it has ever looked on home video.

I’m sure it could have looked better but I’m satisfied.

Richard V, ScottJH and Camper like this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Agreed, it should have been better and it's mediocre at best when compared to other 4K/UHD releases.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    This could have been and SHOULD have been much better. I'm disappointed that T2 just cannot seem to get a QUALITY home video release. This one should have been it. Instead it's just another missed opportunity.

Tino likes this.
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Does anyone know if the Blu-ray included in this 4k release is the same as the 2009 Skynet Edition Blu?

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    As much as I like 3D, I don't want to watch a 3D version of the version (theatrical) I don't watch. I always watch the extended. So nothing being released appeals to me.

Lets me off the hook of waiting for it to be released.

9. Message #49 of 85 Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    No it's an all new release. It does contain 3 different versions. Theatrical version is based off this new transfer. The other two versions are Frankensteined from this new transfer & older transfer. The disc menu even says something to the fact for highest quality presentation view the theatrical.

10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    How on Earth did James Cameron allow this controversial “remaster” to be released.

dpippel likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    When the film was being prepared for 3D conversion, Cameron gave interviews where he described the process and said that they were scrubbing the grain and other things to make it look as if it had been made recently. It seems possible and perhaps even likely that all of these changes are exactly the look that Cameron was going for.

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well now I can officially take T2 off of my "guess I have to buy the White Album again" list of movies to blind purchase every new format. <_<

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    For the 3D presentation sure. But you think he’s happy with this 4K release considering all the terrible reviews?

14. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I don't think he really cares that much, which is why I find his comments about not having the time to approve decent HD or 4K releases of The Abyss and True Lies to be so disingenuous. Add to that his statements indicating he thinks "scrubbing the grain" makes this film look "as if it was made recently", and I really wonder what in the heck is wrong with him. That a filmmaker of his experience and stature would say such a thing is mind-boggling to me.

IMO T2 has never received the treatment it deserves, and this 4K release just piles on that tradition. Thanks Mr. Cameron.

Duder likes this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don't think the reviews really concern him.

I also think that the things the reviewers look for may be the very things that Cameron wanted to eliminate. A reviewer who is grading the disc on how well it reproduces the original theatrical release in 1991, or the look of the original camera negative, is going to give an unfavorable review to this disc. But, on the other hand, Cameron specifically endorsed and praised the removal of the grain and the changing of the look to make it appear more modern. That's exactly the kind of thing a reviewer would give a poor grade for, and would probably be willing to do so sight-unseen just based on that philosophy or stated goal.

So if a reviewer is going to come at it with the point of view "My definition of perfect is looking like the 1991 theatrical release or the original camera negative" and if Cameron is coming at it with "I want to make it look like a movie from 2017 that was shot and edited digitally" then they're both at odds in a way that can't be reconciled.

Tino likes this.
  16. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    As I stated in my review of this disc, the disc was authored as region-free by Studio Canal (or a company they hired), so Lionsgate is nothing more than the distributor in this case.

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thanks Todd

Anyone have an email address for Studio Canal ?

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Hmm...gotta be one somewhere, but I looked at their website and only found real addresses and telephone #s,.

They're on FB and Twitter, though...

19. ArnoldLayne

ArnoldLayne Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Chris
    I just watched T2 4K HDR and it was fantastic.
    True, no grain, but also true: great detail, great contrast, great color, great dynamic range. The only 'plastic' faces I saw were somewhat obvious extra makeup.
    Comparison- wise I have the poor Skynet transfer, which of course is not in the same league.
    I generally appreciate a nice grain field- e.g. many of the Warner Archive releases.
    But I'm not complaining about this disc.
    Cheers!

20. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    I'm returning mine back to Amazon. It's sitting on the table ready for me to print and slap on the return labels. I didn't even open the package as I'm removing this edition from my collection. Speaking of package, even Robert Patrick's package has now been, um, removed from this release.

Brent Reid likes this.