1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ten North Frederick - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Studio-bound from the word "go," Philip Dunne's Ten North Frederick, based upon the novel by John O'Hara, seems at times as though it will take off.

I've always been a huge fan of Gary Cooper, but the tale of a successful man seeking love, and finding it with Suzy Parker, seems better in my memory, than it does reviewed. Some okay films gain with the passage of time, others...

Nicely photographed in black & white, and CinemaScope by the great Joe MacDonald, it somehow calls out for some location shots in that city where it's always sunny.

Mr. Dunne began as a writer of some superb films at Fox, and segued into directing in 1955, with Prince of Players. There something missing with Ten North, and while I'd prefer not to point a finger at the director, the fact that he was responsible for the draft, would lead one in that direction.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

Jack K, B-ROLL, Flashgear and 2 others like this.
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Thank you for the review. It seems I like the film more than you do.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I’ve generally found that most Cooper films, with his unique low-key style, seem to take flight. This one isn’t a bad film. It simply seems to remain grounded.

4. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    An awkward chemistry between Coop' and Suzy Parker, but a movie well-worth the coin, if for no other reason, than to see a Hollywood pro excelling at his craft. And yes, of course, for MacDonald's gorgeous use of B&W 'scope'.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    Watched last night...One of the most bland and dull films I've ever seen. Why was Geraldine Fitzgerald's character so underwritten? Cooper was worse than wooden. Lifeless performances with the exception of Stuart Whitman, that's when the film came briefly to life.

6. Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper Agent

Dan
    Great movie. Many thanks to twilight time for allowing me to retire my many boot leg dvds.