What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ten North Frederick - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Studio-bound from the word "go," Philip Dunne's Ten North Frederick, based upon the novel by John O'Hara, seems at times as though it will take off.

I've always been a huge fan of Gary Cooper, but the tale of a successful man seeking love, and finding it with Suzy Parker, seems better in my memory, than it does reviewed. Some okay films gain with the passage of time, others...

Nicely photographed in black & white, and CinemaScope by the great Joe MacDonald, it somehow calls out for some location shots in that city where it's always sunny.

Mr. Dunne began as a writer of some superb films at Fox, and segued into directing in 1955, with Prince of Players. There something missing with Ten North, and while I'd prefer not to point a finger at the director, the fact that he was responsible for the draft, would lead one in that direction.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for the review. It seems I like the film more than you do.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you for the review. It seems I like the film more than you do.

I’ve generally found that most Cooper films, with his unique low-key style, seem to take flight. This one isn’t a bad film. It simply seems to remain grounded.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
An awkward chemistry between Coop' and Suzy Parker, but a movie well-worth the coin, if for no other reason, than to see a Hollywood pro excelling at his craft. And yes, of course, for MacDonald's gorgeous use of B&W 'scope'.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Watched last night...One of the most bland and dull films I've ever seen. Why was Geraldine Fitzgerald's character so underwritten? Cooper was worse than wooden. Lifeless performances with the exception of Stuart Whitman, that's when the film came briefly to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks