What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Tarnished Angels - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Will the real Douglas Sirk please stand up!

One can never be totally certain if Todd Haynes put in his time thoroughly studying the work of Mr. Sirk, or if he is Sirk incarnate.

Here is authentic Sirk. The 1957 Universal black & white melodrama, Tarnished Angels, with Sirk stalwarts Hudson and Malone in the leads.

Possibly considered among the B Sirk productions, this meticulously photographed CinemaScope production, looks superb on Kino's new Blu-ray - presumably derived from a quality fine grain. Just a bit of wear towards the end of one reel (confined to the far right side of the frame) bring the image score into the 4 category.

It's a quality film. Based upon a novel by William Faulkner, and produced by Albert Zugsmith, who also produced Written on the Wind. Zugsmith is probably best known for Touch of Evil.

Beautifully rendered, with rich blacks and terrific shadow details, Tarnished Angels is a Blu-ray worthy of addition to one's library.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - previously in a collection - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm assuming this is the same transfer as on the Eureka U. K. disc. If anyone knows something different, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The leads, plus Jack Carson, deliver some of their best performances. This is a must have.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The leads, plus Jack Carson, deliver some of their best performances. This is a must have.
Yes, I agree. I've never been a great admirer of Dorothy Malone, but she's really good in this film. I have always admired Robert Stack and Jack Carson, and consider both to be major under-rated talents. This film is prime evidence of their talent.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes, I agree. I've never been a great admirer of Dorothy Malone, but she's really good in this film. I have always admired Robert Stack and Jack Carson, and consider both to be major under-rated talents. This film is prime evidence of their talent.
Robert Stack underrated ... Shirley you can't be serious
e72fa7c340602126b6d3e86f0ab07cbd[1].png
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks