1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sweet Charity - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Message #281 of 285 Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not at your house either without any knowledge of your setup. My set-up is 5.1.2 setup with SVS Prime tower and Prime center speakers as my main three speakers along with Polk surround speakers and subwoofer along with Klipsch Dolby Atmos speakers and a Marantz 6013 receiver. Also, I'm not the only one saying I didn't have to adjust my volume from my normal Blu-ray viewing. That is all I'm saying as I don't have any bone in this argument nor any reason to doubt what others are experiencing in their home theaters.

2. moovtune

moovtune Stunt Coordinator

James
    In my setup, comparing the level of "Sweet Charity" after watching a couple of scenes from "Oblivion", I found about a 4db boost was needed over my usual listening level of -10 on my Marantz 8802A.

3. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

I didn't keep the French Blu to compare. I created a Blu-Ray that normalized the sound so that the loudest point was as loud as it could be without distortion, and the rest of the track was amplified accordingly.

Now to re-do that work and add back the entr'acte and exit music with the Kino video master...

MatthewA and JohnMor like this.
  4. Message #284 of 285 Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    roxy1927

roxy1927 Stunt Coordinator

vincent parisi
    Well like listening to cds and lps sound often has to be adjusted even within a single recording due to wide dynamic ranges. I listen to a lot of classical orchestral.
    Oklahoma sounded fine to me. Noticed nothing unusual about the sound level.

Also we had earlier been talking about overtures and I pointed out the entire overture of My Fair Lady was at the beginning of the film itself during the title sequence. The titles just started later using the same continuing images. I always wondered who designed that sequence as it is one of my favorites. The gentleman Wayne Fitzgerald just died at 89 and it was in his obituary. He also designed Days of Heaven a truly stunning title sequence and I thought well that makes sense.

5. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    I also listen to a lot of classical orchestral music, and opera and chamber music. Never had the volume problem I encountered with Oklahoma.

Gary16 likes this.