1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Suspiria (1977) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Mine is waiting on my doorstep, so I'm excited to give it a spin when I get home from work. It will be interesting to compare the Atmos track to the 4.0 track. The original mix is so freakin' amazing that, to be honest, it's difficult for me to imagine anything could be an improvement. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong!

Brian9229 likes this.
  2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Gorgeous transfer. I sampled the original 4.0 track and that was quite amazing. Very satisfied with this release.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My copy arrived this afternoon. I hope to have time to watch it tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing this in 4K.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm reviewing this now. Colors are gorgeous. Atmos kicks spine tingling ass.

I will never be a fan of the film itself but this new version is a damn revelation compared to the recent Blu.

dpippel likes this.
  5. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman
    Supporter

Brian
    I was really surprised by the LFE output. Deeeeep. It added a real heaviness, i think, to the soundtrack that made it a little weird to me, like just... slightly too modern. Otherwise though, wow!

Brian Kidd and Sam Posten like this.
  6. Brian Kidd

Supporter

I was also surprised by the LFE. As you said, it sounds more modern, but I didn't feel it overpowered the mix and the clarity of all of the audio elements is impeccable. It is probably the best-sounding audio mix of a film of its vintage that I've heard. It is head and shoulders above the modern mix for Star Wars, also from 1977. I think it really speaks to the amount of time, care and love put into every aspect of Synapse's work on Suspiria. A few people at a small label have been able to produce higher-quality work than an organization the size of Lucasfilm.

Brian9229 likes this.
  7. Message #47 of 48 Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman
    Supporter

Brian
    No, it didnt overpower the mix,(i shouldn't write when I'm sleepy) just namely the score during the opening credits. There were moments throughout that I felt were too heavy. I would expect as much though from Atmos. Having watched the film through every iteration from vhs copies of copies, to uhd, not to mention various copies of the soundtrack over the years, I dare say I'm hypersensitive to the soundtrack, and it's thinner low end, like so many other films of the era. No doubt though the mix is superb. The use of the height channels added a lovely extra dimemsion, especially in the rain scenes. Synapse succeeded brilliantly in making this track wholly immersive. Given the painstaking (looong)restoration, and color accuracy, now enjoyable in its best possible form, I'd vote this uhd of the year.

Brian Kidd likes this.
  8. Brian Kidd

Supporter

I concur with every part of your post, but especially the sentiment quoted above.

Brian9229 likes this.