1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Suspiria (1977) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

It reminds me of the days of Laserdisc. It was very much a niche format in the U.S., so prices were much higher than if you bought the same film on VHS. On the one hand, the best Laserdisc releases had supplements and, often, extra books, CD's, lithographs, etc. that made them feel special. On the other hand, unless you had disposable income, Laserdisc purchases were reserved for special occasions. As expensive as this release seems, it's still less than what you would have paid for a comparable release on Laserdisc and also has image and sound quality that could have only been dreamt of back in the 80's-90's. While I miss the heyday of cheap DVD and Blu-ray releases, I've resigned myself to the reality of the marketplace that can no longer count on massive sales of physical media. Those of us who prefer physical media are dinosaurs. I'm just glad that we're still able to get great physical releases of niche films like Suspiria and freaking Criterion releases of John Waters films.

warnerbro and titch like this.
  2. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    Hey, somebody must've read my post -- they've dropped the price.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Problem I have with all of this:
    Boutique labels are fantastic, and I buy tons of deep catalog releases. But boutique labels with bigger, well known movies...that doesn't happen often. very rare.
    Niche doesn't translate to big studios very well. Will Disney ever
    License out a movie like Edward Scissorhands? Not a chance. A beautiful 4K transfer that will most likely never get another physical release. And just think what kind of features a boutique label would give it. Loaded no doubt. This in the niche collector world of physical media is what makes me sad.

4. JoshZ

JoshZ Supporting Actor

Joshua Zyber
    Just connecting your two thoughts here...

[​IMG]

titch and Brian Kidd like this.
  5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Ahhh, laserdisc; the one format for which they didn't have to resize the Odorama cards.

Brian Kidd and titch like this.
  6. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    You've talked me into it - supporting boutique labels is a worthy cause! Amazon has reduced the price down to $36, which is a big discount. I've previously forked out for both the Synapse blu ray and the Italian 4K disc (which didn't look nearly as good). I project 4K discs and have turned off the HDR, so to my eyes there isn't a huge difference between an uprezzed 4K disc and a nicely mastered blu ray.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Except this one isn't uprezzed. They did the restoration at 4K, so you're getting the full info that they pulled from the film elements. While it won't be a dramatic increase in detail given the limitations of the original elements, it still should show some improvement over the Blu-ray. In your case, since you can't use the HDR with your projector, I can see how you would be on the fence. I was on the fence, too, simply because of the initial price. I can't turn it down at the current price, though.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  8. Message #28 of 31 Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Vincent_P

Vincent_P Cinematographer

Oh wow. Conspiracy theory much?

The fact is, I frequently take sabaticals from Facebook. I had no idea this announcement was eminent when I decided to take the break from Facebook that I am right now.

Also re: your "absolute definitive version" quip- the Synapse Blu-ray of SUSPIRIA is the absolute definitive version within the constraints of the Blu-ray format (1080P resolution, SDR, 4:2:0 8-bit color, rec709 color space). The 4K theatrical DCP was better (4K resolution, P3 color space), and this UHD (2160P, HDR, Rec2020 color space) will be better than the Blu-ray as well. None of this negates how great that Blu-ray was (is). In the confines of the Blu-ray format, the Synapse Blu-ray is the definitive Blu-ray release of SUSPIRIA.

Vincent

9. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Cinematographer

This release will also include the original 4.0 theatrical sound mix from 1977, lovingly restored and remastered in 96 kHz/24-bit high-resolurion audio from original 35mm magnetic sound stems, as well as the Atmos remix.

Vincent

Stephen_J_H and Robert Harris like this.
  10. Paul Watters

Paul Watters Auditioning

Paul Watters
    Paranoid much, Mr Pereira? I don't recall saying at any point that it was you. I was also unaware that you had also dropped off Facebook at the present time...

But thank you for the comments regarding the transfer.

11. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Supporting Actor
    Supporter

noel
    Atmos lol