What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Support Your Local Sheriff / Gunfighter -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Twilight Time has released two films backed by James Garner's Cherokee Productions. Support Your Local Sheriff was released in 1969, and Gunfighter, two years hence.

They're both delightfully strange, lighthearted, feature films, that have their roots in TV land. They appear to both have small budgets, which along with their sometimes innate silliness, match their light soundtracks, filled with occasional boinks, a great deal of unfilled Foley and odd effects.

And all of this, almost day and date, up against Mr. Peckinpah's 1969 western masterpiece.

There could not be three films more disparate in every way.

So seriously, what is there to like about these two films?

What's included that should make anyone put down their hard-earned cash?

Simple.

James Garner, in all his affable splendor.

As Blu-rays, they're typical MGM fair of the era. In this case, nice viewable transfers, nothing extraordinary, but quite good enough for government work. Problems? Zero.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
So seriously, what is there to like about these two films?

What's included that should make anyone put down their hard-earned cash?

Simple.

James Garner, in all his affable splendor.

James Garner - absolutely!

Entire Sheriff supporting cast - magnificent, including one of my favourite character actors, Bruce Dern, showing his brilliant comedic straight-man flair.

Thanks for the review, Mr Harris. This would seem a safe pick-up then, audio-visually speaking. Off to place my order.

[Commentary track?]

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
I just watched the first movie last night and laughed all the way through it. I'll be watching the second film tonight. Looking forward to it!

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
This was a pleasant surprise from MGM and Twilight Time. I've always enjoyed these two pictures, and to get both of them for the standard TT price, instead of having to shell out for each individually, is a nice bonus.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Support Your Local Sheriff is my favorite western. Period. As RAH pointed out, it rides on the back of James Garner. However, it has perhaps the best supporting cast assembled in one film since MAD WORLD. Harry Morgan, Jack Elam, Henry Jones, Walter Brennan, Kathleen Freeman and Bruce Dern. Damn!

Support Your Local Gunfighter is more difficult to watch. Just doesn't have that same spirited feeling, though it's great to see most of the original cast brought back together again.

You would think I would have already watched these. Not so. I only scanned the first few minutes of SHERIFF to see if they restored the original UA logo, which they did not. Just have not had the time to watch either yet, but very good to read that RAH is happy with the transfer.

I never worry about transfers from Twilight Time. I know they do a very careful job only selecting the titles with the best transfers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My copy arrived while we were out of town last week, and I am really looking forward to watching these. Hopefully I'll have a little time tonight for Sheriff. I'm glad to read that the transfers are decent, especially since the DVD of Gunfighter was non-anamorphic, so this should be a huge upgrade.

I'll echo the comments about the films themselves. These are fun movies, with James Garner at his best, along with terrific supporting casts. While the sequel is not as good as the original, as Ron states, it still has it's moments. Plus, I love the addition of Suzanne Pleshette to this cast.

Last edited:

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Ya know - given the hefty price tag ($29.99) and exclusivity, wouldn't it have been nice.... at the very least.... for both films to be on separate discs? I received mine almost immediately after reading Mr. Harris's review - the transfers don't look bad - simply underwhelming. Support Your Local Sheriff maybe a niche title, but it's well worth the price of admission. Its sequel...eh....

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ya know - given the hefty price tag ($29.99) and exclusivity, wouldn't it have been nice.... at the very least.... for both films to be on separate discs? I received mine almost immediately after reading Mr. Harris's review - the transfers don't look bad - simply underwhelming. Support Your Local Sheriff maybe a niche title, but it's well worth the price of admission. Its sequel...eh....
Nope. A dual-layer disc is completely sufficient for two ninety minute films. Separate pressings would double the cost and Twilight Time is giving us a great 2-for-1 bargain this way.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Hey, the way I look at it, we're getting two movies for the same price TT charges for their single-film releases! I already feel like I'm getting a bargain. Three hours fit nicely onto a BD-50, so I have absolutely no worries about the disc being overloaded and overly compressed. This is a great deal for anyone who loves these movies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey, the way I look at it, we're getting two movies for the same price TT charges for their single-film releases! I already feel like I'm getting a bargain. Three hours fit nicely onto a BD-50, so I have absolutely no worries about the disc being overloaded and overly compressed. This is a great deal for anyone who loves these movies.

Absolutely. Well said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks