What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Supernatural - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hitchcock, Lloyd, Keaton, Hawks, Wyler, Wellman...

Victor Halperin?

Not a name that generally arises in discussions of the cinema, and yet in one arena, he's legendary, most probably based upon the slightly lower budgeted production he directed just before he did Supernatural for Paramount.

White Zombie.

Supernatural, with Carole Lombard and Randolph Scott in the leads, is an interesting little film about the underbelly of the medium business.

It's a decidedly short film, typical of horror at the time, at 64 minutes. But also typical of the era, a live show came along for the price of a ticket.

When it opened at the Paramount, in April of 1933, per the New York Times, you got "dancing, singing and acrobatic performers... the stage program, "Spring Varieties," is a lively entertainment, with humor furnished by the indefatigable Al Trahan. Among others who contribute to this show are Jane Friman, Betty Jane Cooper and the Lathrop Brothers, the California Collegians and Gertrude Hoffman Girls.

Kino (yes, it's Kino with yet another Paramount release, and I love it!) delivers a quality Blu-ray, which although showing its age, is just fine for our needs.

It's an odd little film, that easy to take.

Image - 4

Audio - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
It looks pretty rough but thank you, Kino, for giving us all these treasures and doing the best you can with the elements in their fragile condition. You can be sure if it's from Kino, it's the best it can look.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Mr Harris has given us much information about what happened to the Fox nitrate negatives. I don't recall anything written about the Paramount nitrate negatives other than they are gone. So what happened other than the films were sold to MCA for TV use in the 1950's.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr Harris has given us much information about what happened to the Fox nitrate negatives. I don't recall anything written about the Paramount nitrate negatives other than they are gone. So what happened other than the films were sold to MCA for TV use in the 1950's.

Afaik, all (or most) of the black & white negatives and masters were junked after new (two sets, I believe- at different times) were produced.

I also believe the original negatives on the three-strips survive.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Afaik, all (or most) of the black & white negatives and masters were junked after new (two sets, I believe- at different times) were produced.

I also believe the original negatives on the three-strips survive.

Thank you for the information. Good to know the three-strips survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks