1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Superman: The Movie -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Well then where did the stereo track on the old 2000 dvd come from? Why are they claiming it played in 35mm Mag Stereo in London? The fact that it played in 70mm in Spain allegedly is irrelevant. What matters is the damn 35mm print!

2. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

While the raw or pre-dub music track and the three-track mono survive, it would be easy for MGM to create a stereo mix for home video. No theatrical stereo to my knowledge was created.
    Sorry Lord Dalek, I don't believe it played in stereo in London, but "SPY", yes.

PMF and DP 70 like this.
  3. ghostwind

ghostwind Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

Bogdan Urma
    Yeah, internal controls are typically crude to begin with, best moved only in small increments in either direction. Perhaps LG's CMS is more crude than Sony's. Yeah, the 2pt grayscale is just about all one can do for HDR/DV - but when I mention this, people are surprised or don't believe it. This is why I stick with SDR for judging accuracy - HDR black levels, colors, etc. vary too much from display to display and most times look inaccurate to me because of display limitations and also implementation. I have two Panasonic 4K UHD 820 players, one for 4K UHD direct to my LG on an input where I just calibrate 2pt grayscale and another for 1080p/SDR Blu-rays that goes to an external 3D LUT box for total and accurate 21pt cube calibration (9261 color points). When people see it they are amazed, as it's a lot more than 21pt grayscale + 1pt CMS (27 color points). Once they see it, they get it, but it's hard to convey just how good it looks.

JWC1969 likes this.
  4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    As was Nicholas & Alexandra

PMF likes this.
  5. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    Also, The Lion in Winter, Shalako and The Mayerling.

PMF likes this.
  6. Stephen PI

What about "Hawaii"? Although I heard it had some stereo.

PMF likes this.
  7. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Some say that a few reels were in stereo inc the storm sequence.
    Never saw it in 70 myself so can't say.
    A travesty that the film was not shot in 65.

PMF and DP 70 like this.
  8. Brett Lovett

Brett Lovett Stunt Coordinator

Brett
    image.

image.

9. Brett Lovett

Brett
    KPmusmag likes this.
  10. Brett Lovett

Brett
    Here's one more I just found that's not an interview, but discusses the "Thau" audio mix.

Souped-Up Superman - Sound & Vision

I found this interesting as it matches my impression of the Atmos track (page 4):
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think it's more effective when the overall sound is primarily balanced toward the screen giving the surround effects more contrast. In "Superman" I find this evident when the council voices simultaneously announce "Guilty." I don't find it nearly as effective or contrasting in the 7.1 TrueHD core of the Atmos mix as I do in the 5.1 DD audio. That combined with not being terribly interested in having a bazillion surround speakers to provide precise localization of sounds well off the screen is probably why I'm not all that enthusiastic about the new "Immersive Audio" formats, particularly in the home.

KPmusmag likes this.
  11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Yesterday was a snow day (I know, I know, it's only November) so I showed my kids the extended edition of Superman on blu-ray, all 3 hours and 8 minutes of it. It was terrific. For a non-director's cut, the transitions are pretty seamless. It's such a good film in any version, but I found myself laughing out loud of many of the added sequences, a lot of which are scenes involving Luthor, Otis and Ms Techmacher. It's still the best superhero movie, and all without the hero throwing so much as a punch. It had been a long time since I saw the extended version, probably since ABC aired it way back when. I've watched the scenes on the other S:TM releases but it's so nice to have them integrated back into the movie.

PS The kids loved it. They'd seen S:TM before but they most likely don't remember it.

Brian Kidd and KPmusmag like this.
  12. zoetmb

zoetmb Second Unit

Martin Brooks
    Yes, thanks - I knew all of that except for the comments about the phase problems in filters, although if you think about it, if the LFE was out of phase with the high frequencies of the split surrounds, it probably would have made no audible difference and due to the different frequencies, there would have been no perceptible cancellation or diffuseness.

But my understanding (and I don't remember the source, but it might have been Larry Blake) is that split surround was only used experimentally on Superman, only on one reel and only on one or two prints, which is why Apocalypse Now is generally considered the first Dolby 70mm film with split surround.

13. Message #133 of 225 Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    zoetmb

zoetmb Second Unit

Martin Brooks
    Those added subwoofers for CEOTTK were added to just two theaters: one in California and the Ziegfeld in NYC. The two systems were slightly different (there was an article published years ago about this, perhaps in "db" or in "Recording Engineer/Producer"), but I believe the NYC installation used bolted speakers with 3/4" plywood fronts, 8 Cerwin-Vega Baby Earthquakes, 21 Bose 901 surrounds with the system able to generate 110db at 50Hz.

I saw that original presentation and it was one of the best theatrical experiences of my life. The recent digital re-release, even seen at a Dolby Vision theater, didn't even come close. For reasons I never understood, the theaters did not keep those b-chain enhancements in place, AFAIK.

Edit: The California theater was probably the Coronet, in San Francisco.

Brett Lovett likes this.
  14. Stephen PI

I think the correct crossover point in the L/R split surround / baby boom mode should be 250hz not 500hz.

15. Britton

Britton Screenwriter

I just picked this one up and it appears the digital versions only have the Atmos soundtrack. If true, you can chalk up another reason why I will always prefer discs.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What digital service are you using as it's Dolby Vision on iTunes and Dolby HDR on Vudu for me? By the way, I have several titles in 4K in my digital libraries that are not available as such on discs. These digital potshots are getting ridiculous.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I think he’s saying it only has the Atmos track, and doesn’t include the track that isn’t Atmos.

Britton likes this.
  18. Message #138 of 225 Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Britton

Britton Screenwriter

That is correct. Thanks Tony! I prefer to watch Superman with the 1978 sound effects. I hereby revise my previous statement to say "why I prefer discs for now."

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Okay, I just played Superman on my 4K Roku and iTune units. On Roku, watching Superman on Vudu it's 4K HDR with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Using my 4K Apple TV, it plays in Dolby Vision, but there isn't a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, only a 5.1 DD audio. However, if you utilized the Vudu app. on iTunes, you do have Dolby Vision along with Dolby Atmos audio.

My personal preference is the Dolby Atmos track!

20. Britton

Britton Screenwriter

I don’t have an Apple TV, but I would wager that the DD 5.1 track has the newer sound effects. I watched the hell of out this movie growing up, so the new sound effects have always bugged me. I particularly hate the loud “whoosh” sound that Jor-El’s face makes when it moves through the camera. It almost drowns out the fantastic music that accompanies our first glimpse of Superman as he flies out of the Fortress.