What's new

Brett Lovett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett
The mono mix is what was primarily heard in 1977, not just for those venues. Not many theaters had Dolby Stereo, and there was concern that Dolby prints wouldn't play properly in a mono theater.

It was the 35mm Dolby Stereo version that I experienced several times in 1977, although I didn't realize that as a 9 year old. I later assumed, since the theater was equipped for 70mm (later having its 70mm print of "Return of the Jedi" stolen at gunpoint), that I had seen it in 70mm 6-track, but I later learned that they never got a 70mm print of "Star Wars."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is there a topic specific to Supes 2, I can’t find one?

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
Had myself a screening of the uhd today, followed by my jp blu copy of part 2.(a different and imo, more filmic source than the US version) What a beauty the uhd is. I absolutely love Mr. Unsworth's fog filtered photography, which is finally given a wide enough berth to come through as intended in all of its soft, beautifully lit glory. The consistent color throughout the uhd is also a nice change. It's a wonderful time we live in.

Bingo85

Auditioning
Real Name
Kris Michaleski
Had myself a screening of the uhd today, followed by my jp blu copy of part 2.(a different and imo, more filmic source than the US version) What a beauty the uhd is. I absolutely love Mr. Unsworth's fog filtered photography, which is finally given a wide enough berth to come through as intended in all of its soft, beautifully lit glory. The consistent color throughout the uhd is also a nice change. It's a wonderful time we live in.

Can you share a link to the jp blu copy of part 2 you own?
I'd be really interested to view a better source of the film (without the awful teal colored suit on the US and European versions).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I finally bought the 4K disc.

The opening titles might be my favorite 5 minute short film of all time.

And now I can watch it and LISTEN to it the way it should be heard.
I’ve just listened to the 1978 six track audio a half dozen times and also switched to the over punched up Atmos track.

It’s just great to be able to see “Alexander Salkind Presents” and then hear that kettle drum lead into the swooshing names of all the main players in this movie.

As I mentioned earlier you could hear it on the Spanish language track but it was stereo and a man spoke each name over the music.

The real Swoosh, the kettle drums, the horns, very thing that’s supposed to be heard and nothing that isn’t.

I’d have a hard time finding a better opening credits for a movie.

M. Craig Siegel

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Kurland
Is it possible to confirm that the second 5.1 track on here really is just plain Dolby Digital and not a lossless encode? Also, can you let us know if it has different sound effects than the Atmos track? Does Krypton sound like a box of broken glass during the destruction?
Based on what I've researched, the Dolby Digital mix is a proper transfer of the original 1978 70mm 6-track mix.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Based on what I've researched, the Dolby Digital mix is a proper transfer of the original 1978 70mm 6-track mix.
Yes indeed. I asked that before the disc was commercially available. I've since recommended the disc based solely on the strength and availability of that original 6-track.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If you mean that tiny microsecond blue line thing, It’s still there on the digital version

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks