1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Supergirl (Feature) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Finally got around to watching my Blu-Ray copy this evening. It's pretty awful, but not as awful as I remembered. The international cut on the Blu-Ray does at least make sense, even if a lot of the dialog is complete nonsense.

The movie Supergirl is more competent than the TV Supergirl. She lands on Earth with wonder and idealism, is almost immediately confronted by an attempted sexual assault, and figures out how to navigate a completely new planet extremely quickly. She makes mistakes, but she learns from them and doesn't repeat them. Her disguise as Linda Lee is more plausible than Superman's disguise as Clark Kent. Both Reeve and Slater were good at using body language to make their alter egos register as different people.

We've seen the Phantom Zone in the Reeve movies with the flat pane of glass effect, but this is the first movie to take us inside the Phantom Zone. The visual effects were laughable, but the landscape was suitably hellish. It's also the first time we've seen Argo City in live action. And the first time we've seen Kryptonians battle magic in live action.

Faye Dunaway is gloriously terrible as Selena. Brenda Vaccaro's Bianca is fun, because her character is the only one who seems to realize just how ludicrous and terrible the movie she's in really is. It's like if one of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 robots were a character in the film they were mocking.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  2. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Bad news. I owned one of the “rare” DVD director’s cut specimens, but accidentally spent it on a pack of Funions — right as a runaway wrecking ball bashed in the corner deli and prevented me from hurriedly changing my mind to Dipsy Doodles instead.

B-ROLL likes this.