What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sully -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Clint Eastwood's Sully is the sort of film that difficult to create, as everyone knows how it ends. What must be added is the human factor, which is discussed in the film, and the background story.

I first viewed Sully on DVD in mid-November, and I liked the film. Nice performances. Well-produced and technically efficient.

Watching it today on Warner's new 4k release was instructive, as it reminded me (we all need to be reminded occasionally) how much image resolution, and it's overall detail, color and audio affect not only performances, but how we perceive filmed (and I include digitally captured in that word) entertainment.

Bring Sully up to it's original 4k roots, along with Dolby Atmos, and HDR, which actually adds a dimension here, and you've got as whole new ballgame.

There are a myriad of details that I noticed for the first time, along with a quite extraordinary audio track, based upon wonderful recordings and a great layered mix. There are tiny things that come to the fore, such as our ability to discern the flight attendants repeating their instructions to the passengers before the landing. Editing is more instructive and interesting, as we see the event through numerous eyes, and the tale unfolds in an almost hypnotic way.

Performances take on new layering.

Bottom line here, is that Sully is 4k mit HDR is more than the sum of its parts. It's true 4k, still a rarity in the format, but what it does is to allow the work of Mssrs. Eastwood, Hanks, Eckhardt, Jacob, Stern, Komarnicki, Murray, as well as the entire digital team, and their transparent work, to shine.

Add Sully to that very shot list of true 4k Blu-rays, as it becomes another reason to move up to the format.

An absolutely gorgeous offering from Warner.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd like to take a look at the film, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending 35 bucks on a film that I most likely will only watch once.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The triumph of this movie for me is that it was made by someone who is 86 years young and putting out work as good and relevant as the work he did 50 years ago.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
I dream of owning all of Clint Eastwoods films, as both actor and Director, in a gigantic 4K boxset! What an absolute Legend!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Original aspect ratio was 1.90:1 in IMAX theaters; movie was shot on IMAX digital cameras. The 2.39:1 aspect ratio of the standard theatrical presentation and disc presentation was cropped from the original 1.90:1 frame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched in UHD tonight, man what a good movie.
I viewed this film in a movie theater back when it was released. This morning, when I viewed it again in 4K/UHD on the OLED65E6P, I got emotional during certain scenes. It felt like I was watching it for the first time and certain scenes, especially, during the crash and rescue, I got a few tears in my eyes as people came together during this incident to do right thing and save lives.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I viewed this film in a movie theater back when it was released. This morning, when I viewed it again in 4K/UHD on the OLED65E6P, I got emotional during certain scenes. It felt like I was watching it for the first time and certain scenes, especially, during the crash and rescue, I got a few tears in my eyes as people came together during this incident to do right thing and save lives.
I found myself very emotional off and on throughout the movie which I watched today on UHD for the first time. Beautifully produced and directed with terrific performances from one and all. And the sound design was sensational and certainly had my theater room rocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks