What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Suddenly, Last Summer -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Filmmaker Joseph Mankiewicz is known for the literary value, and intelligence of his films, and his 1959 production of Tennessee Williiams' Suddenly, Last Summer, with a screenplay aided and abetted by Gore Vidal, is another winner.

It's also an oddity, which in some strange ways reminds me of Black Narcissus.

BN was shot at Pinewood in the UK, and set in the Himalayas.

S,LS was shot at Shepperton in the UK, and set in New Orleans, presumably tied in with some deal that producer, Sam Spiegel, might have had there.

Casting is superb, with Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn in the leads, along with Montgomery Clift, who never seemed to get things totally together after his 1956 accident.

The film was shot in black & white by the great Jack Hilyard (River Kwai), and naturally, akin to the seals returning to Capistrano in the Spring, the master delivered by Columbia, is superb in every regard.

An important, potentially shocking, to some, film, that deserves your attention. I suggest that if you've never seen it, read nothing in advance.

Great film. Magnificent Blu-ray delivery. Kudos for Twilight Time in making it available.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Mankiewicz, Hilyard and Tennessee;
Kate, Liz and Monty;
Crisp, Columbia and TT, too.
With triple-threat trios such as these, was there ever going to be any real doubt or question, here?
Nonetheless, I still found myself looking forward to RAH's review of Suddenly, Last Summer;
after all, its always good to know.
Indeed, all is right with the world;
or, to quote our resident archivist, "everything is in its place".:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
One of my top 10 all time favorites!

IMG_3750.JPG

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
One of my top favorites from the 'fifties-- a wonderful film, with spell-binding writing (Gore Vidal's additions are fantastic).

the plot itself is beyond belief as it unfolds, but i read somewhere that Williams thought of SLS as a 'tone poem'

the transfer itself looks great!!

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
I first saw this on TV in the late 60s some time and remember being stunned by the ending, where Sebastian (correct name?) is basically torn to bits by some street urchins. So strange and powerful. Unless of course, I am mis-remembering that part.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I first saw this on TV in the late 60s some time and remember being stunned by the ending, where Sebastian (correct name?) is basically torn to bits by some street urchins. So strange and powerful. Unless of course, I am mis-remembering that part.

You're confu-sed.

As I recall Ms Taylor was attacked by sea urchins. Very famous scene. Bad.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Hmm, Amazon lists a release of Jan 1, 2017 but they don't seem to carry it. There's one copy available from Canada for $60. Is there somewhere else I can order it for less?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the Blu-ray of this one this afternoon. Stunning picture quality, and the picture drew me in as it always does with such magnetic writing and the two leading ladies giving such galvanizing performances.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the Blu-ray of this one this afternoon. Stunning picture quality, and the picture drew me in as it always does with such magnetic writing and the two leading ladies giving such galvanizing performances.
Yeah, I need to watch my TT Blu-ray too even if it's only to keep ogling the front cover of the BD case.:blush:

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Filmmaker Joseph Mankiewicz is known for the literary value, and intelligence of his films, and his 1959 production of Tennessee Williiams' Suddenly, Last Summer, with a screenplay aided and abetted by Gore Vidal, is another winner.

It's also an oddity, which in some strange ways reminds me of Black Narcissus.

BN was shot at Pinewood in the UK, and set in the Himalayas.

S,LS was shot at Shepperton in the UK, and set in New Orleans, presumably tied in with some deal that producer, Sam Spiegel, might have had there.

Casting is superb, with Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn in the leads, along with Montgomery Clift, who never seemed to get things totally together after his 1956 accident.

The film was shot in black & white by the great Jack Hilyard (River Kwai), and naturally, akin to the seals returning to Capistrano in the Spring, the master delivered by Columbia, is superb in every regard.

An important, potentially shocking, to some, film, that deserves your attention. I suggest that if you've never seen it, read nothing in advance.

Great film. Magnificent Blu-ray delivery. Kudos for Twilight Time in making it available.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH
Well folks, I have to admit I did do a little Wiki reading in advance on this film and as I viewed it but for the most part, I didn't peek ahead. Kinda like doing the Cliff Notes thing so I could fully understand what the film artist was trying to convey.
Glad I did as I could get the full impact of the film (like I did back in my college days reading some of the ancient Greek classics).

Oh yes I did find Suddenly Last Summer rather shocking when the final plot line was revealed. Stuff that was pretty shocking to 1960 era audiences.

Don't want to give away any spoilers so that's all I'll have to say. Once again though enjoying a Twilight Time blind buy classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks