What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sucker Punch -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My speakers are spotlessly clean.

I was advised to view Sucker Punch, Zack Snyder's odd film that mostly occurs during dreams, and honestly didn't know quite what to make of it.

Emily Browning is quite lovely. As is Jena Malone. First time seeing Vanessa Huggins, and realizing she cannot act.

The film is rather like viewing the editorial bravura of Rob Marshall's Chicago, which beautifully covers singing and dancing, breaking moves and bits down into split second shots.

Here we have a mixture of captured footage and digital, in a film that could not have existed outside of the digital realm.

I should explain that my speakers are clean and ready to rumble after playing back the uncompressed audio on this disc, which is huge, beautifully rendered and spread among as many speakers as one can muster for the experience. The range of frequencies is amazing, as is the clarity of the mix.

Image-wise, Warner's new Blu-ray is magnificent, but it should be. There are few excuses for not getting something correct that was born out of digital.

For fans of Snyder, and there are many, this will be a superb experience.

Several hours after viewing the film, I'm torn however, as I wonder if it might be best for some women to be lobotomized or placed into sexual slavery. There's definitely a message here.

Sucker Punch (I viewed the extended cut, and have no idea what the differences might be) is a brilliantly produced Blu-ray disc that takes one's system to the limits, and shows off the technical capabilities of the format.

Did I mention that, properly played back, this is a hugely visceral experience?

RAH

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
"odd" is certainly the word to describe this movie I only lament that Snyder was unable to include his originally shot (and incomplete) ending, which was set to include a major musical sequence

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was thinking that Snyder had originally made an R rated film that had been cut to PG-13 status, nope i was wrong since the UK extended edition has a 12 certificate, the same as the theatrical really, so some of these reviews i see online mentioning the extended as an R rated cut have to be wrong, R rated in the USA would usually get a 15 certificate or 18 certificate in the UK with notable exceptions, Terminator 3 was 12 certificate over here but R in America, i believe Last Of The Mohicans was the same when originally released at cinemas.

Anyway i don't fancy this film at all, it looks all flash and probably sounds great but does it have substance. ?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris. Yes, Emily Browning is quite lovely. I always thought she would quietly get up there from the time she was a kid. She comes from my city in Australia and had an on-going role as a young girl caring for her younger siblings in a cop show set in a country town in my state, Blue Heelers. I watched the show regularly.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by moviepas

Robert Harris. Yes, Emily Browning is quite lovely. I always thought she would quietly get up there from the time she was a kid. She comes from my city in Australia and had an on-going role as a young girl caring for her younger siblings in a cop show set in a country town in my state, Blue Heelers. I watched the show regularly.

What a wonderfully expressive face! Reminds me in ways of silent film actresses.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I am a huge Snyder fan and this is easily my favorite of his to date, in fact, it's one of my top favorite films of all time. That being said, I rarely need to watch films with substance. I want to escape into films, taken for a ride. Quality storytelling, acting and so on take a back seat to what I want most from a film, fantasy and escapism. For me, Sucker Punch is a near perfect film.

I was shocked when another Super Man film was on it's way, and bummed when Nolan was attached to it. Now that Snyder has taken on the project I could not me more happy. I rarely, and I mean rarely go out to the theater but because Snyder is behind this film I will go.

If you like Emily Browning her new film, Sleeping Beauty, is creating quite a stir and upsetting quite a few.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
FoxyMulder said:
I was thinking that Snyder had originally made an R rated film that had been cut to PG-13 status, nope i was wrong since the UK extended edition has a 12 certificate, the same as the theatrical really, so some of these reviews i see online mentioning the extended as an R rated cut have to be wrong, R rated in the USA would usually get a 15 certificate or 18 certificate in the UK with notable exceptions, Terminator 3 was 12 certificate over here but R in America, i believe Last Of The Mohicans was the same when originally released at cinemas.

Anyway i don't fancy this film at all, it looks all flash and probably sounds great but does it have substance. ?
No, the extended cut is, amazingly enough, rated R. I don't understand why the MPAA gave it an R, but I do know what thy objected to. The MPAA didn't like the sex scene between Jon Hamm and Emily Browning. A quote from Emily Browning:
“I had a very tame and mild love scene with Jon Hamm. It was like heavy breathing and making out. It was hardly a sex scene… I think that it’s great for this young girl to actually take control of her own sexuality. Well, the MPAA doesn’t like that. They don’t think a girl should ever be in control of her own sexuality because they’re from the Stone Age. I don’t know what the f--k is going on and I will openly criticize it, happily. So essentially, they got Zack to edit the scene and make it look less like she’s into it. And Zack said he edited it down to the point where it looked like he was taking advantage of her. That’s the only way he could get a PG-13 (rating) and he said, ‘I don’t want to send that message.’ So they cut the scene!”

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The added scenes in the DC in no way make it "R" rated, makes no sense to me. There was very, very little heavy breathing and some minor making out. What it did have was lots of talking. The added musical number towards the beginning was a bit risque but nothing we haven't seen before in films like Moulin Rouge, NINE or Burlesque. Why the MPAA had Snyder do what he did is beyond me. There are a ton of PG-13 films out there with worse content than what this DC cut of Sucker Punch has.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Derrick King
“I had a very tame and mild love scene with Jon Hamm. It was like heavy breathing and making out. It was hardly a sex scene… I think that it’s great for this young girl to actually take control of her own sexuality. Well, the MPAA doesn’t like that. They don’t think a girl should ever be in control of her own sexuality because they’re from the Stone Age. I don’t know what the f--k is going on and I will openly criticize it, happily. So essentially, they got Zack to edit the scene and make it look less like she’s into it. And Zack said he edited it down to the point where it looked like he was taking advantage of her. That’s the only way he could get a PG-13 (rating) and he said, ‘I don’t want to send that message.’ So they cut the scene!”

As Emily says it must be a real tame sex scene if our BBFC gave it a 12 certificate, i guess the MPAA don't mind heavy screen violence in many a PG-13 rated film but bare a breast or show some flesh and suddenly they get all worked up and its an R rating even if its tame stuff, coming from Europe i just don't get it, its like when Janet Jackson bared her breast at the Superbowl ( it was still covered up ) i couldn't understand the fuss, it was silly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
..coming from Europe i just don't get it, its like when Janet Jackson bared her breast at the Superbowl ( it was still covered up ) i couldn't understand the fuss, it was silly.
Coming from America, I don't get it either. I think the FCC and the MPAA cater to a very small but vocal minority rather than looking at what concerns or offends a large segment of the public.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
FoxyMulder said:
As Emily says it must be a real tame sex scene if our BBFC gave it a 12 certificate, i guess the MPAA don't mind heavy screen violence in many a PG-13 rated film but bare a breast or show some flesh and suddenly they get all worked up and its an R rating even if its tame stuff, coming from Europe i just don't get it, its like when Janet Jackson bared her breast at the Superbowl ( it was still covered up ) i couldn't understand the fuss, it was silly.
That is the thing, it was tame and there was no nudity. Actually, calling it a sex scene really overstates what happens in the scene. The MPAA's overreaction to the scene was just inexcusable.

The One Coz

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean Cosgrove
Glad to hear this movie will push my 7.1 surround home theater to the limits. I need to buy it now. :)

Babydollsp

Auditioning
Real Name
Barbara
Look, clearly you guys did not see the ending sex scene. Search it up. The explains everything.
Like the part when the old man first met babydoll & then started talking, Then he said " It will be a deep sacrifice but a perfect victory then if you do, IT WILL SET YOU FREE" That was the ending sex scene, the guy she has sex with says " I will give you freedom, freedom for the darkness the horror the depression" ect ect ect. That is when she gets free, the labotamy was her freedom. She has sex with the doctor and the labotamy is her freedom, because when they put that needle through her head, she forgot about all of the drepressio & stuff. Please reply:)
Moderator's Note: Part of post has been "spoilerized" by a moderator for those who have not yet seen the film. it contains numerous important plot points relevant to the outcome of the film. --Mike Frezon

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks