What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Straw Dogs -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You know what you're getting going in.

Sam Peckinpah's 1971 Straw Dogs, starring Dustin Hoffman and Susan George, will not be to all tastes, especially in this, its unexpurgated state.

If one is a fan of Mr. Peckinpah, and I am, Straw Dogs is essential cinema.

The new Blu-ray from M-G-M, via Fox is as perfect as can be, looking much like a new print. Everything appears to have been done right. To be precise, in the entire 118 minute running time, I only noted one shot which appeared a bit thin. That should tell you something.

A great disc.

As an aside, after viewing this, one can get to thinking... it's difficult to believe that Ms. George has just celebrated her 61 birthday, and Mr. Hoffman his 74th.

Recommended.

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
More good news. Definitely for me -- even though I'm guilty of not having watched it in over 20 years when I would likely have caught it last at someplace like the Nuart in L.A. I bow my head in shame. At least I chased down the Criterion and UK DVDs a few years back, both of which will be retained for their apparent wealth of commentaries and other extras.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Perfect Blu-ray? Even though it lacks the movie's original monaural audio?

The print could be a bit dirty, too - especially during the duck hunting scene.

It's a nice disc, but I think "perfect" overstates things. And don't forget that it comes almost completely devoid of supplements...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I'm also concerned about the repurposing into surround. Hope it was done well...

I have the Criterion DVD and they did a fantastic job with it. The orig monaural mix sounded perfectly fine.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm eager to see Straw Dogs on Blu-ray. Confrontational cinema at its best from the very beginning when scrawny little Dustin Hoffman walks into a pub blowing his nose in front of taller, stronger men to the ending when, transformed by his ordeal, he drives away with his passenger. Peckinpah digs deep and aims high, as always, and this is one of his most visceral gut-wrenchers. Really fine craftsmanship. I appreciate the ebullient photography of John Coquillon, who was at his best working with Peckinpah. His work for other directors doesn't look as good. I was not old enough to be allowed in 1971 and had to wait for the re-release in 1978. I'm keeping the Fremantle and Criterion DVDs for the supplements ... which I confess I haven't watched. I must be turning into a collector or something.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez

I'm also concerned about the repurposing into surround. Hope it was done well...

I have the Criterion DVD and they did a fantastic job with it. The orig monaural mix sounded perfectly fine.

I thought the remix was fine - it didn't go crazy with material from the sides/surrounds. Just didn't see the point - and was unhappy that the Blu-ray didn't include the original mix as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks