What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Strangers on a Train -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Amazon e-mailed me to tell me that my pre-order price order guarantee kicked in, saving me a whopping 13 cents.
So, I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by rich_d /t/324038/a-few-words-about-strangers-on-a-train-in-blu-ray#post_3986880
Amazon e-mailed me to tell me that my pre-order price order guarantee kicked in, saving me a whopping 13 cents.
So, I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
We here at the HT Forum hope that you "remember your friends" as you decide what to do with this windfall.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ken_McAlinden said:
We here at the HT Forum hope that you "remember your friends" as you decide what to do with this windfall.
I would recommend that Rich immediately direct it into a new hardware purchase for himself. Buy something nice and new and shiny (with that awesome smell of new electronics).

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
I was pleased with the PQ of this blu. The only parts that look rough are the rear-screen projection shots. Otherwise, the presentation is good.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I thought this one looked great as well. The only thing I can find to complain about is the windowboxed titles.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I watched the BD last night. It had been a few years since I'd seen the DVD, and I forgot what a wonderful movie it is. A great thriller, very witty, and wonderful performances. I'm in love with Ruth Roman again! The PQ and SQ were very good. As Robert stated, the windowboxing of the opening credits (like on The Wolf Man) were very annoying.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for the overview on this title Robert! I also appreciate the update to your initial post. Again, I have not picked this title up but it's on my list for sure.

Reactions: PMF

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
With the stay-at-home rules in place, it's been a good time to revisit some of these older titles, and I'd never seen Strangers on a Train before. It's another great addition to the Hitchcock legend.

I agree that the blu-ray video was clean, but unremarkable, but the movie itself was great. By the last third of the movie, the tension is very intense, as only Hitchcock could do it. (The scene with the dog on the stairs, just sitting there, tells you all you need to know.) The actors were really good, especially Robert Walker. (I was sorry to learn that he died at age 32 shortly after this movie. His son, of course, is famous for the Star Trek episode Charlie X. His son died just last year.)

The plot of the movie has been borrowed so many times since this movie that it's become a bit of a cliche, but great to see it unfold in its original form.

I enjoyed this a lot. I have many more Hitchcock films to see and re-see while we're home. (Next up will be Criterion's Notorious!)

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I confess to not yet seeing “Strangers on a Train”.

Indeed, catching up to an entire century of film has proven to take far longer than ever imagined or planned.

Oddly, though, I never give myself enough credit for the titles that have already been seen, which have been by the slew.

Anyway, I have just ordered “Strangers on a Train”.

After that, I shall still have about 147 remaining “must see” films to cross off my list. But needless to say, I am certain that this list of titles will more than likely become regenerated rather than depleted, as the coming year ensues.

A toast to 2021 and to all at HTF;
may we never run out of films to view.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks