What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm just guessing but I think that shows how much of a mistake Spielberg feels it was. Or maybe it's as simple as that Universal didn't want to spend the extra money on it?

Maybe, but I'm betting it was SS's call. If he'd wanted the 2002 out there, Uni would've said "yessir!" and done it.

You don't f--k with the Spielberg! :D

It's noteworthy that SS apparently had already soured on the 2002 by the time the BD hit in 2012, since it's absent from that release as well...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think Blade Runner remains the gold standard for how to do a special edition/final cut. The changes were subtle and fixed actual gaffes that lack of money or technology or time couldn't fix in 1982. And the blu-ray set included every conceivable version of the film, as well.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Mixed bag. On one hand, there are way too many "George Lucas raped my childhood" morons out there.

Oh I'm not in that camp, I never seen or heard of this until this viewing. totally caught me off guard. It just doesn't fit, it doesn't make sense. I was like " what the heck is that?" . LOL it just boggles my mind why that was done.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, but I'm betting it was SS's call. If he'd wanted the 2002 out there, Uni would've said "yessir!" and done it.

You don't f--k with the Spielberg! :D

It's noteworthy that SS apparently had already soured on the 2002 by the time the BD hit in 2012, since it's absent from that release as well...
Yeah, about the only way that the idea that Universal got away with not wanting to spend the money was if Spielberg then said "Eh, I don't really care anyway." My bet is that Spielberg is that against the re-edited version that he said to not bother (especially when you consider that Universal usually puts multiple versions of movies on their discs when they exist).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, about the only way that the idea that Universal got away with not wanting to spend the money was if Spielberg then said "Eh, I don't really care anyway." My bet is that Spielberg is that against the re-edited version that he said to not bother (especially when you consider that Universal usually puts multiple versions of movies on their discs when they exist).

I'd be interested to find comments from Spielberg about why he ditched the 2002 cut.

And by "interested", I mean I want someone else to find these comment for me! :laugh:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd be interested to find comments from Spielberg about why he ditched the 2002 cut.

And by "interested", I mean I want someone else to find these comment for me! :laugh:
This is the only thing I remember seeing him say about the E.T. SE after the fact:
For myself, I tried [changing a film] once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [I might go in and change some things]…it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. […] If I put just one cut of E.T. on Blu-ray and it was the 1982, would anyone object to that? [The crowd yells “NO!” in unison.] OK, so be it.
https://www.slashfilm.com/steven-spielberg-regrets-altering-et-raiders-hit-bluray-original-forms/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashfilm+%28%2FFilm%29

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think Blade Runner remains the gold standard for how to do a special edition/final cut. The changes were subtle and fixed actual gaffes that lack of money or technology or time couldn't fix in 1982. And the blu-ray set included every conceivable version of the film, as well.

Yep. Would have even loved a 4K SDR scan of the IP used for the Theatrical/Director's cut. However, I never expected it so I am not disappointed and the BD of those versions still holds up pretty well upscaled all things considered.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Does anyone know if the dvd theatrical cuts are worth buying?

If I am not mistaken that is the best option available on disc for those versions.

Not interested in watching the tinkered versions that much.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe

If I am not mistaken that is the best option available on disc for those versions.

They’re non-anamorphic standard def.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
They’re non-anamorphic standard def.

Probably depends on what you're paying? They're just rips of the laserdisc, but without the flipping. There are definitely better versions out there that are... less legal. But if you find them at a Goodwill or something, I'd say go ahead and grab them.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
God help us if 8k takes off.

Mr Lucas will have a field day.

Star Wars: legacy Redux with new restoration and extended scenes.

One can imagine Harrison Ford in a digital de-aging scene flying the Millennium Falcon and crash landing on Antarctica.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks