What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]
6. Will the film spur a revival of interest in L&H? Probably not. Several years ago, I remember some being very excited about The Artist and how it would do wonders in promoting silent films with the general public. That never really happened. Those who saw the film liked it, but they felt no interest in seeking out silents (I experienced this first hand when talking to a few friends on their reaction to the film). Stan and Ollie won't hurt the L&H legacy, but I don't think it's going to spur people to check out their work en masse. I wish it would though.[...]
Yours is an understandable point as to how "The Artist" (2011) did not lead audiences towards "seeking out silents";
therefore the same may be the case for those thereafter who attend "Stan & Ollie".
But, IMHO, the main and marketable distinction here is that George Velentin & Peppy Miller are a fiction;
therefore there are no existing silents to which these two characters can be found.
Whereas the existence of Laurel & Hardy are very much a fact;
as are the many shorts and features that are refereed to within "Stan & Ollie".

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Yours is an understandable point as to how "The Artist" (2011) did not lead audiences towards "seeking out silents";
therefore the same may be the case for those thereafter who attend "Stan & Ollie".
But, IMHO, the main and marketable distinction here is that George Velentin & Peppy Miller are a fiction;
therefore there are no existing silents to which these two characters can be found.
Whereas the existence of Laurel & Hardy are very much a fact;
as are the many shorts and features that are refereed to within "Stan & Ollie".

It's certainly possible. I have already heard some anecdotal evidence about people expressing an interest in seeing more L&H, and that's something I can't say about The Artist.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just rented the Blu from Netflix. Looking forward to seeing it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pretty much I'd say anywhere/everywhere else over the past several weeks would be the best alternative given Amazon's recent issues with Allied Vaughn titles

Bullmoose has it in stock $20 (usually quite reliable)-- Free Shipping at $30, but no sales tax. regular shipping is $2.99. Ignore the 2-3 week language that they have on all the Allied Vaughn titles.

FYE says in-stock plus another 25% off $30 until midnight ET so around $17.50 -- FS is $40 (extra 10% for Members)

MovieZyng is Allied Vaughn ecommerce storefront so a good chance they have it in stock or will get it back sooner than others.

Barnes and Nobles says it's in stock -- $35 FS.or for members. 15% off codes are available.

Walmart,com FS $35

Deep Discount has had it for under $20 a couple times, but it's on backorder now
BBY and Target had it earlier, but now listed OOS.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Pretty much I'd say anywhere/everywhere else over the past several weeks would be the best alternative given Amazon's recent issues with Allied Vaughn titles

Bullmoose has it in stock $20 (usually quite reliable)-- Free Shipping at $30, but no sales tax. regular shipping is $2.99. Ignore the 2-3 week language that they have on all the Allied Vaughn titles.

FYE says in-stock plus another 25% off $30 until midnight ET so around $17.50 -- FS is $40 (extra 10% for Members)

MovieZyng is Allied Vaughn ecommerce storefront so a good chance they have it in stock or will get it back sooner than others.

Barnes and Nobles says it's in stock -- $35 FS.or for members. 15% off codes are available.

Walmart,com FS $35

Deep Discount has had it for under $20 a couple times, but it's on backorder now
BBY and Target had it earlier, but no listed OOS.
I'm pretty sure I didn't see at at my SuperTarget yesterday :( ...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure I didn't see at at my SuperTarget yesterday :( ...

You aren't going to see Allied Vaughn MOD discs at any chain B&M store.
Target did have it for order at some point though -- online only like 95% of it's Media these days.
Best Buy it's an 8 digit (online only) title like all Sony MOD and WAC titles

Independents like Bullmoose and Zia will have some in stock if you are lucky enough to live near them. Otherwise you're like 98% of the rest of the country and have to look online.

I gave multiple options where to get it earlier and cheaper than hoping Amazon will get it in stock eventually

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Mention was made of CGI not being noticeable or overdone, but having seen the movie several times, i admire just how extensive the use, but in many subtle ways; just look at the end credits to see the army of CGI technicians involved. I'm sure the really crowded theater audiences were "multiplied" extensively, given the low budget. The sea journey to Ireland towards the end was totally landlocked (i saw production photos with green screen), and it's very well done. I'm sure there were lots of mattes used to evoke '50s England. And it's been pointed out that the opening six minute shot is actually seamlessly stitched from three different shots.

I'm still amazed the production was only filmed for I think $15 million--total chump change for a feature nowadays. My only sense of a tight budget is the apparent use of a single prop newsreel camera for the opening dance number; the actual Hal Roach sound stage would've been far more elaborate with more lights and larger cameras etc. But I quibble--overall kudos though for such a first class result.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
'Stan and Ollie' is a great tribute to my very favourite double-act in comedy history, approached only by the wonderful Morecambe and Wise and French and Saunders

I almost choked at the idea of French and Saunders being named alongside Laurel and Hardy and Morecambe and Wise, then I noticed that you’d posted that on April Fools Day.

I wish I’d got in first, saying that the great comedians were Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Michael McIntyre.

As for this film, it’s brilliant. It did well in the UK but less so elsewhere, so hopefully it’ll find a bigger audience on disc or on iTunes etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching this film for the first time on Blu-ray.

By the time the end credits rolled, I was really choked up. This was even more of an amazing film watch than I expected. It exceeded my expectations.

What a wonderful, exceptional tribute to two men who loved each other and made the world laugh. My childhood was graced by their films which I collected on 8mm.

Such a tremendous film. I am really saddened it didn't do better than it did, but at least it received the critical acclaim it was due.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You aren't going to see Allied Vaughn MOD discs at any chain B&M store.
Target did have it for order at some point though -- online only like 95% of it's Media these days.
Best Buy it's an 8 digit (online only) title like all Sony MOD and WAC titles

Independents like Bullmoose and Zia will have some in stock if you are lucky enough to live near them. Otherwise you're like 98% of the rest of the country and have to look online.

I gave multiple options where to get it earlier and cheaper than hoping Amazon will get it in stock eventually
Wal*Mart had it in store in DVD ... :(

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
FINALLY watched this! EXCELLENT! I was a huge fan growing up in the 60's thanks to my Dad (Mom HATED them!). Fantastic portrayals. Now, can anyone recommend a really good biography to read?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FINALLY watched this! EXCELLENT! I was a huge fan growing up in the 60's thanks to my Dad (Mom HATED them!). Fantastic portrayals. Now, can anyone recommend a really good biography to read?
I would recommend the heavy tome Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies by Randy Skretvedt, revised edition.

Individually, I would recommend two books by John McCabe:

The Comedy World of Stan Laurel
Babe: The Life of Oliver Hardy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks