1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Stan & Ollie - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 76 Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2019
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Credit where credit is due.

Had my old friend, Roy Frumkes, not introduced me to cartoonist extraordinaire, Al Kilgore back in the late '60s, I doubt that I would have ever grown to appreciate "The Boys" as they deserve.

It's probably a safe bet that very few who visit HTF are aware of the song, "At the Ball, That's All."

The lyrics begin...

"Commence advancin'

Commence advancin'

Just start a prancin'...

If they don't sound familiar, it might all come together if one watched the little dance number that Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy did, in front of a rear screen, of an outdoor western town, for Way Out West (1937).

It's the lead-in to Scottish director Jon S. Baird's delightful film, Stan & Ollie, which uses that number, beautifully shot from a reverse angle at the start, for his film which chronicles the final years of Laurel and Hardy's relationship. It segues to 1953, and their final tour through England.

I loved this film.

Probably mostly based upon the fact that Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly virtually become Stan and Ollie, along with more than a bit of help from prosthetics designer, Mark Coulier.

But had Mr. Coogan and Mr. Reilly not had the ability to channel the men they re-created, this never would have worked.

Stan & Ollie is a delight to behold, and for those not yet familiar with their work, a wonderful means of introduction.

Shot digitally, the Blu-ray, from Sony represents the film beautifully.

As an aside, the film's opening involves a long shot following the actors from their dressing to to the set, which is actually three parts, beautifully blended together.

And while you're watching them walk through a stand-in for the Roach lot in Culver City, later Selznick, keep an eye out for what I perceive to be the prop gears, probably from Chaplin's Modern Times, shot the previous year (1936).

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I loved this film in the theater. Outstanding performances which were at least recognized by BAFTA nominations.

3. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I completely fell in love with this film when I saw earlier this year. It renewed my love for the works of the comic duo so much so, that I’m watching the Laurel and Hardy DVD collection film by film again.

The Blu is on order for this film (can I call it a film, when it was shot digitally?) and can’t wait to watch it again. So glad it received your 5 rating.

4. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Way out West, The Music Box, and Big Business are my favorites from The Boys. A big fan since i was a kid and a easy buy for this new release.

5. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Wouldn't it be great if "Stan & Ollie" led a younger generation back to their own discoveries of the Laurel & Hardy shorts?:thumbs-up-smiley:

6. mark brown

mark brown Stunt Coordinator

It is timely to note that L&H will live on as UCLA is restoring the Boys' library of work as we speak! Stan and Ollie was, in my humble opinion, the best film of the year!

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I loved this one too and look forward to adding it to my collection.

PMF likes this.
  8. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    This was a great Movie.

PMF likes this.
  9. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    'Stan and Ollie' is a great tribute to my very favourite double-act in comedy history, approached only by the wonderful Morecambe and Wise and French and Saunders. It's a very touching movie, fulll of tender joy and sadness. Highly recommended to all.

PMF, benbess, nara and 3 others like this.
  10. Richard Kaufman

Richard Kaufman Stunt Coordinator

Richard Kaufman
    I went with two friends. Afterward, as we left the theater, we all said "Perfect" at the same time. And it was. Looking forward to this blu.

PMF, benbess and TravisR like this.
  11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Good luck with that. I doubt many of the "younger generation" will see this film, much less the L&H originals.

Unless by "younger generation" you mean "people under 100" - then maybe! :D

BarryR and Randy Korstick like this.
  12. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    No 4K?

PMF likes this.
  13. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    It's about time we all give RAH a Laurel and Hardy Handshake :) !
    [​IMG]

14. avroman

avroman Stunt Coordinator

Warren Thomson
    I introduced my 4 grandaughters (all now teenagers), to L&H when they were very small, and they loved them then, and still do now.
    Stan & Ollie have always stood at the head of comedy duos for me. Their chemistry is incomparable.
    By coincidence, I was about half way through re-watching the L&H DVD set when "Stan & Ollie" was released in theatres. Of course, I put my order in for the Bluray as quickly as I could.
    My grandaughters are all eagerly waiting with me to see "Stan and Ollie".

B-ROLL, PMF and TravisR like this.
  15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I'll be lucky if I get the Blu-Ray. I pre-ordered this two months ago from Amazon, It was supposed to arrive last Tuesday, it got pushed to Thursday, and now pushed back again to May 9. I don't know what is going on. I never had any issues with BD pre-orders until I ran into this mess.

16. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    Well, there's Another Fine Mess . . .

Scott_Morris, B-ROLL, PMF and 2 others like this.
  17. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Bullmoose says they have "low stock, should ship Tuesday" 19.97 + $3 shipping unless you have another item to get FS at $30.
    Trying to remember is you';re Canadian with a US Mailing address or if I'm confusing you with a different Bryan

Amazon and these MOD release don't seem to mix well, but the 3/26 releases have been especially bad.

18. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Amazon shipped my copy of the blu-ray on Friday with an expected delivery date of this coming Friday (that's the non-prime Free shipping treatment for you). Given the difficulty I've heard other people experiencing with acquiring this title, I'm surprised that Amazon has fulfilled my pre-order as early as it did. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this film for the first time next weekend.

PMF likes this.
  19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think if someone is exposed to 'old' movies or TV shows or music when they're young, they're more likely to accept or enjoy them than if they're teens or adults. I've seen many people say the same thing over the years and it was certainly true for me as well.

PMF and avroman like this.
  20. Message #20 of 76 Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    It is a wonderful tribute. A love story. Chaplin - Keaton - Langdon -Lloyd were all comedic genius's of the time but when I want to laugh out loud it's always the boys.

As I have said before - there should have been a better film launch - the movie deserved better. I also wish some of the restoration of their stuff would have been ready now as, I think, when this goes streaming it will increase demand to view some of their work. It remains to be seen. But never say never - Trail of the Lonesome Pine was #2 on the charts in the U.K. in 1975.

Tony Bensley, B-ROLL and PMF like this.