What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Spartacus (Take 2) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
RolandL said:
It's with MGM so that will probably never happen.
Not even in Cinerama Roland, did you know that a screening room in Sweden has put 3 panel Cinerama in, I saw a video of the set up during the WSW at Bradford.

That's now 4 places in the world that you can now see original 3 panel Cinerama.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Dr Griffin said:
I had a similar experience with The Greatest Story Ever Told. I had never seen it in Ultra Panavision 70. In fact, I had only seen it on television. Though the Blu-ray leaves a lot to be disired, to see it in its intended framing was like seeing it for the first time. I'd like to see a restoration, but until then I will still watch the present BD.
I know what you two mean.

I had that feeling, after watching 2001: A Space Odyssey. My first experience was the DVD on my tube-TV (at least it is 16:9). I found the film to be lame.

But after watching the Blu-ray, projected, I was thrilled! :)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
DP 70 said:
Not even in Cinerama Roland, did you know that a screening room in Sweden has put 3 panel Cinerama in, I saw a video of the set up during the WSW at Bradford.

That's now 4 places in the world that you can now see original 3 panel Cinerama.

I didn't know about the screening room in Sweden. Where did they get the Cinerama projectors? I'm surprised they did that with many of the Cinerama presentations being projected digitally not 3-panel.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Whatever became of "Spartacus"?

[After some editing and re-writes, the best Post I've read thus far was # 233.] ;)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Charles Smith said:
Oh my god.

One of the most beautiful Blu-rays ever.

Watched the film on Reed's 120-inch setup last night. My eyes were glued to every frame.

(And my ears to every bar of music. That score! Is it not one of the greatest? Alex North.)

All I can say is thank you, RAH, and many many thanks to all involved at UNIVERSAL, for another dream come true.

Charles, I agree with everything you said, and definitely, IMO, that terrific score is absolutely one of the very best in film history.

Reactions: PMF

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
John Hodson said:
I have to add my voice to the chorus of acclaim for Spartacus. I avoided the dubious pleasure of the previous BD release and can only compare to the Criterion DVD; thus, in my experience, it's the most stunning upgrade, not only in terms of resolution but also as a restoration, since How The West Was Won blew my socks off.

It's simply gorgeous.

Yes, absolutely! How The West Was Won is also "simply gorgeous" looking on BD, and with its ultra-wide aspect ratio, if any film is going to make many of us wish to have a larger screen, HTWWW is it.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
CraigF said:
I have to agree with you that the quality of presentation can totally change one's opinion of a film. I have my own films where I went from dislike to love once I saw them "properly". I know there are people who would disagree with that: a good film is always good film, a good tune is always a good tune,... As they said in primary school: neatness (presentation) counts.

I also agree that a high quality presentation can greatly affect one's appreciation of a film. However, no matter how meticulous a restoration, followed by a high quality presentation, that could be given to Deep Throat, in the end, the film would still suck.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I also agree that a high quality presentation can greatly affect one's appreciation of a film. However, no matter how meticulous a restoration, followed by a high quality presentation, that could be given to Deep Throat, in the end, the film would still suck.
No pun intended? :)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
JoelA said:
No pun intended? :)

Well, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't. But by the same token, I have also wondered if the parents of a certain baby, who grew up to be a televangelist, were at least making a subconscious pun, by giving their baby son the name of Oral. But, most likely, that would merely indicate that they were hoping he'd turn out to be a great speaker, which, judging by most accounts, I guess he did.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
RolandL said:
I didn't know about the screening room in Sweden. Where did they get the Cinerama projectors? I'm surprised they did that with many of the Cinerama presentations being projected digitally not 3-panel.
Hi Roland, They are using Philips FP20 projectors but its not a very big screen.

Thanks again for all the great info and pictures on your Cinerama Website.

regards Derek.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
It's hard to add to the chorus of approval without repeating what someone else has said, so effusive has been the praise, so I must resort to making up a word: this restored Blu-ray is utterly spanktabulous.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I watched Spartacus tonight with my movie pals. I masked off the sides of my 120" 2.35 screen to 2.2 with black felt to make it just right. Great job, RAH. Everyone thought it looked fantastic! I hope you are working on more projects!!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Finally watched it in my home theater and it has to be one of the best I've watched all year. Thank you RAH for bringing enjoyment to the masses with this beautiful BD!

Reactions: PMF

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have no interest in watching SPARTACUS on my ipad but out of curiosity I downloaded the digital copy using the Ultraviolet code supplied with my UK version of the BD and guess what...it's the unrestored version!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
John Hermes said:
I watched Spartacus tonight with my movie pals. I masked off the sides of my 120" 2.35 screen to 2.2 with black felt to make it just right. Great job, RAH. Everyone thought it looked fantastic! I hope you are working on more projects!!

From widescreenmuseum.com

technirama70vstechnirama35.gif

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I finally got my hands on this Blu-ray! My local Barnes and Noble had a single copy sitting on the shelf, sans slip cover. After a 20% coupon and 10% member discount the price was lower than Amazon's price.

I hope to be able to watch it tomorrow. All depends on how my day unfolds. I think it's going to look spectacular on our new 75" Vizio!

Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mark Booth said:
I finally got my hands on this Blu-ray! My local Barnes and Noble had a single copy sitting on the shelf, sans slip cover. After a 20% coupon and 10% member discount the price was lower than Amazon's price.

I hope to be able to watch it tomorrow. All depends on how my day unfolds. I think it's going to look spectacular on our new 75" Vizio!

Mark
As long as the copy is the 55th anniversary, and not that other...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
As long as the copy is the 55th anniversary, and not that other...
No worries, I was sure to get the Restored Edition.

We watched it today and the transfer/restoration is absolutely spectacular! Great job, RAH! I sure wish every classic could look this good!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks