What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Spartacus (Take 2) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Kilgore

Agent
Real Name
Glen Morgan
Robert Harris said:
It would have been one of two things. Something problematic in the action, that needed correction, or alternatively, a stock or processing problem. Regardless, editorial it was, from day one, as that cut is both physically in the original negative and duplicated to the b/w masters.
This is precisely what I was referring to earlier when I referred to a possible "glitch" or "defect" being edited. When I said it wasn't "intentional", I was speaking cinematographically. I imagine this is the same issue with the jump-cut in early in Lawrence of Arabia when Lawrence is leaving the cartography room. These cuts certainly weren't done because the editor liked the look of them, but to remove either a glitch in the actual film stock, or some defect in the shot itself that would mar an otherwise exceptionally well shot scene.

My only thing was that I never noticed the Spartacus cut until now, and I attribute that to being total mesmerized by the magnificent restoration this time around.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kilgore said:
This is precisely what I was referring to earlier when I referred to a possible "glitch" or "defect" being edited. When I said it wasn't "intentional", I was speaking cinematographically. I imagine this is the same issue with the jump-cut in early in Lawrence of Arabia when Lawrence is leaving the cartography room. These cuts certainly weren't done because the editor liked the look of them, but to remove either a glitch in the actual film stock, or some defect in the shot itself that would mar an otherwise exceptionally well shot scene.

My only thing was that I never noticed the Spartacus cut until now, and I attribute that to being total mesmerized by the magnificent restoration this time around.
There are no original jump cuts in Lawrence. Those are missing frames, due to various re-cuts.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robert Harris said:
It would have been one of two things. Something problematic in the action, that needed correction, or alternatively, a stock or processing problem. Regardless, editorial it was, from day one, as that cut is both physically in the original negative and duplicated to the b/w masters.
That curious jump cut reminds me of the very obvious one in BEN-HUR, which I always found jarring, which occurs during dialogue between Charlton Heston and Jack Hawkins on board the galley. In that case it was due to additional dialogue which had been shot but which was cut from the released film; one of several cuts made, presumably to shorten what was a very long film.

I'm still waiting for the U.K. Blu-Ray of SPARTACUS which was supposed to have been released this week but it seems that no-one has it yet.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Douglas R said:
I'm still waiting for the U.K. Blu-Ray of SPARTACUS which was supposed to have been released this week but it seems that no-one has it yet.

It is available. I re-ordered the steelbook from Zavvi and got it on saturday. I can confirm it was the new copy of the film.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Worth said:
It worked a lot better in the pre-digital days, when missing frames and jumps in the print weren't all that uncommon.

I'm not so sure.

As has been said , Peter Hunt did it a lot in those early Bond films and his own OHMSS. And while the moments are all noticeable the only one that looks like it shouldn't be intentional is the moment from Dr No which just looks wrong to me - as with the Spartacus moment it looks like it was done to possibly remove an error rather than some production decision because it looked good

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Douglas R said:
That curious jump cut reminds me of the very obvious one in BEN-HUR, which I always found jarring, which occurs during dialogue between Charlton Heston and Jack Hawkins on board the galley. In that case it was due to additional dialogue which had been shot but which was cut from the released film; one of several cuts made, presumably to shorten what was a very long film.

Hi Douglas,

I saw the UK (New Version) in HMV this morning at £17.99.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I now have it. What can I say, other than; Wow! It looks and sounds fabulous.
Yes it is fabulous, just shows how bad the 1st version was.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I hate to admit it, but I was one who always felt on the outside of "Spartacus".

There were many aspects of the film that I admired and respected; but over the years, even within a 70mm venue; I found myself approaching this work strictly as a study of film. There were its many components. A study of Kubrick; or a re-visitation of the works of Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier or Peter Ustinov; or as a viewing of the various films that took home the Oscar for Best Cinematography. But, perhaps, I was guilty of approaching this work in all the wrong manners, shapes and forms.

In the overview, I had seen Ben-Hur, first. And, admittedly, I drew up many a wrong comparisons when I was younger.

But try as I did, I could never quite get warmed up by it all; that is, until, October of 2015.

THIS restoration became the game changer for me.

For the first time, I experienced "Spartacus" not as a study, but as a whole.

THIS restoration brought it all home for me and I was totally immersed.

Rather than having a past history of sporadic "Spartacus" viewings;

I now found myself looking forward to seeing it again and again.

THIS restoration has taken me from being a distant spectator and has finally placed me fully within its arena;

as it is an altogether bold and luminous experience, dazzling all the senses a film can reach.

THIS is the "Spartacus" I had heard about.

I dare say, if Stanley Kubrick were alive and able to see this 2015 restoration that he would jealously reverse his long-held stances on "Spartacus". Clearly, for Kubrick, this restoration would had been a case of eyes wide open.

Fortunately, Kirk Douglas is still with us and he must be thrilled to no-end with its results.

Congratulations to Robert A. Harris.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
And for those who enjoy the music as much as the rest of the film I'm pleased to say the spectacular Varese Sarabande release from 2010 is still available. Its extortionately priced from Amazon sellers but I was well chuffed to find VS still had stock so managed to get it to the UK for just under £75 delivered.

The 40 minutes of the existing cd was never enough but now it's here - every note and then some.

It's 6 cd's , a 90 minute documentary dvd and a 168 page cd sized hardback book. It really is the icing on the cake and with the film now available as it should be there's no better time to wallow in the superb soundtrack.

And a big thanks to the HTF member who alerted me to the existence of this product by pure chance when he posted a photo of his favourite soundtracks.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
PMF said:
THIS restoration became the game changer for me.

I have to agree with you that the quality of presentation can totally change one's opinion of a film. I have my own films where I went from dislike to love once I saw them "properly". I know there are people who would disagree with that: a good film is always good film, a good tune is always a good tune,... As they said in primary school: neatness (presentation) counts.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
CraigF said:
I have to agree with you that the quality of presentation can totally change one's opinion of a film. I have my own films where I went from dislike to love once I saw them "properly". I know there are people who would disagree with that: a good film is always good film, a good tune is always a good tune,... As they said in primary school: neatness (presentation) counts.

I had a similar experience with The Greatest Story Ever Told. I had never seen it in Ultra Panavision 70. In fact, I had only seen it on television. Though the Blu-ray leaves a lot to be desired, to see it in its intended framing was like seeing it for the first time. I'd like to see a restoration, but until then I will still watch the present BD.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I am sure there is a 70mm print in the USA with 6 track 35mm Sep Mag sound but it was only a check print and its a bit on the blue side.
I would love to see TGSET in Cinerama one day.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Blue on Blu?

How the Hell did Bobby Vinton pop into my head?

Damn.

Now I'm thinkin' Taylor Swift's "Shake it Off"

Ah-h-h-h, what a relief.

Alex North just popped back into my head.

Pheww-w-w-w-w...for a moment there, I drifted onto the wrong thread. :lol:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Dr Griffin said:
I had a similar experience with The Greatest Story Ever Told. I had never seen it in Ultra Panavision 70. In fact, I had only seen it on television. Though the Blu-ray leaves a lot to be disired, to see it in its intended framing was like seeing it for the first time. I'd like to see a restoration, but until then I will still watch the present BD.

It's with MGM so that will probably never happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks