What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ South Park - The Complete Twelfth Season -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are rabid South Park fans who can't get enough of it, there are those who can't abide it, and then a few in the middle.

This is a show that I'd watch with my son once he thought I was old enough, and found it oddly humorous.

Having grown up on Disney animation, where one can count the moving blades of grass in the background, South Park seemed somehow less animated. Even less so than the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies.

I've also only had the opportunity to see it broadcast in standard definition on a rear projection LCD. Seeing South Park projected in high definition on a hundred or so inch screen is a slightly different experience.

Rather like the difference between damming up water in a slowly moving stream and watching it rise an inch as a child, and Charlton Heston parting the waters of the Sea.

South Park on Blu-ray may be too radical an experience for some.

Colors pop in intensity, while facial highlights play in and out of meticulously drawn shadows. Well, there may actually not be any facial highlights, but I surmise that skin tones are accurate to something. Everything has been raised to hurricane force imagery.

The audio also is a totally different experience in Dolby True HD. The score, while not reaching the heights of Moross, Steiner, Korngold or Bernstein, takes on a life of its own with new intensity and clarity.

Even the performances stand out in Blu-ray, as the camera hovers for even larger close-ups, with details more readily perceived. There is nothing more electrifying that a fine thespian in close up.

For those who hold South Park in a special place, Paramount's new Blu-ray of Season Twelve, may be the final point toward the decision toward the purchase of a Blu-ray player and a huge screen.

Life is good, and South Park on Blu-ray has everything a fan could ask. It comes Highly Recommended.

BTW, rumors that South Park is shot on three-strip Technicolor are false.

RAH

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Nice post, Mr. Harris.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

You know, at first I thought this was a typo, but South Park being South Park, I'm not really sure!

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. When I first heard about this release, I must admit I thought "Why?". I am big fan of South Park, but always found it visually... over-simplistic? I didn't think an HD version would make much difference.

After reading this it has instantly become a must-buy. Is it in widescreen? I've never seen South Park in widescreen (even when it is broadcast in HD) apart from the BL&U movie, that is.

Anyway, thanks RAH. Can't wait now.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Wide screen, and a set of discs that displays one of the most instantly drastic differences between standard and high definition that I've ever seen. I'm quite serious when I say that I expect this release will sell a nice quantity of Blu-ray players to new adopters, and deserved so!

RAH

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't surprise me as far as improvement to HD. Animation benefits so much from HD. I remember watching the Simpsons movie and couldn't believe it. I'll have to check this out.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
It should be noted that it's probably matted widescreen, like the Justice League cartoon series. I checked some episodes online and there's an awful lot of headspace in about every shot.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
OK, I understand that they aren't upconverting, but if the presentation of season 12 is 16x9, they still have to be cropping the top and bottom, right?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I imagine this to be like Pixar's re-formatting of their films for full-frame versions. In other words, the various shots are re-formatted depending on the visual content, and (notably) done by the creators of the show instead of a third party.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
No, the past few seasons of South Park were rendered in HD and in 16x9. On DirecTV, Comedy Central has been airing the HD broadcasts of the past season, and there is more information on the sides than before.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who senses a very tongue in cheek element to RAH's comments?

C'mon guys - he says that South Park will sell reams of BD players. Are people really taking that seriously? :laugh:

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator

Well, I took parts of the post to be playfully facetious, i.e. "fine thespian" comment, but with regards to the selling of BD players, he did say "For those who hold South Park in a special place...". So, I take him at his word, if the improvement is that drastic.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think RAH was essentially telling us there ISN'T any/much difference between South Park SD and South Park Blu-Ray. How can you take comments like this seriously?

"South Park on Blu-ray may be too radical an experience for some.

Colors pop in intensity, while facial highlights play in and out of meticulously drawn shadows. Well, there may actually not be any facial highlights, but I surmise that skin tones are accurate to something. Everything has been raised to hurricane force imagery.

The audio also is a totally different experience in Dolby True HD. The score, while not reaching the heights of Moross, Steiner, Korngold or Bernstein, takes on a life of its own with new intensity and clarity.

Even the performances stand out in Blu-ray, as the camera hovers for even larger close-ups, with details more readily perceived. There is nothing more electrifying that a fine thespian in close up."

C'mon - he's describing cardboard cut-out animated characters as "fine thespians" and referring to the super-basic visuals as being "raised to hurricane force imagery"!

My gut tells me that the show on Blu-Ray will look and sound a heckuva lot like the show on SD-DVD, and RAH is glib enough throughout this review to reinforce that notion. I'm really surprised so many seem to be taking his comments at face value... :confused:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Just the day before I read RAH's "review", I was watching SP and thinking South Park would be the LAST thing I'd ever need or want to get on BD. I mean the broadcasts and DVDs have to be some of the lousiest-looking out there. Acceptable for what it is is the best I could say.

So I really didn't know what to make of what RAH said. On one hand I thought "good", now it'll look half decent. OTOH I thought "what's there to see?".

I think RAH was a little too subtle for me this time...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator

Mike, do you think RAH is being wholly sarcastic or here or is his praise genuine?

Must admit I'm perplexed that Colin is so sure of himself here. Maybe I'm just gullible...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Genuine.

I think he's slightly tongue-in-cheek the way he's explaining it...but I believe he's honestly enthusiastic about this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks