What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ South Pacific -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
This has remained my favorite movie version of a Broadway musical. The Blu-ray does nothing to diminish that feeling. I always liked the look of the filters in the theatre. Until the Blu-ray, previous video versions were never well suited to the filters. As to the stars, Mitzi Gaynor is just perfect. I like Rossano Brazzi but wonder if someone else would have been better. Not sure who from that period. The other stars (Juanita Hall, John Kerr, France Nuyen, and Ray Walston) are all very well cast. This is a magical and beautiful film.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
In the Blu-ray, I came to rather like the color filters, when I absolutely hated them in the VHS and DVD releases. I guess that speaks to the quality of the format. As for the previous comments about inserting the roadshow footage, it should be an option to watch it with or without the (lower quality, faded) extra scenes inserted -- even though the sudden change in quality can be jarring. It should never be done again the way it was done on The Sand Pebbles, where the entire roadshow version is seen in "Super Magenta." My eyes hurt after about an hour, so I've never looked at it again, even though it would have been interesting to see how the film plays with the extra scenes. Finally, a question for Fox: What about Oklahoma!, The King and I, Carousel and State Fair?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I saw the rediscovered original roadshow 70mm print of South Pacific at the Egyptian in LA a few years ago, mostly magenta. It was shown back-to-back after the standard version in a beautifully restored 70mm print. [One interesting feature was that the restored was shown with interlock DTS sound while the longer version was shown 6-track magnetic. An interesting comparision. I found the DTS somewhat clearer but the magnetic warmer, just a personal statement.] Both of the versions of South Pacific are roadshow versions. The cutting was done while the movie was still in roadshow release. It is also true that there is not a lot of substance missing in the cut version, in particular no complete numbers. A few of the cuts improve continuity, but for the most part it is material that could be removed without damaging the film (IMHO). Nevertheless, it would be nice if the longer version could be more properly restored and released in Blu-ray. Here is an article about the Photokem restorations done in 2005-2006. http://www.in70mm.com/news/2006/south_pacific/index.htm It appears to be the case that more color can now be recovered from that print than we are seeing in the home video version by scanning the print directly. David Strohmaier might provide more details about this possibility. I agree that it is made by splicing together the standard version with the missing pieces from the original roadshow version.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have to agree with Rsmithjnr ... this is a magical movie. I grew up with the old incomparable recordings by Ezio Pinza, Mary Martin and Juanita Hall etc, and although none of those voices survive on film (though I'm sure they could have used Juanita Hall's voice if they wished), the casting, particularly of Mitzi Gaynor, France Nuyen and John Kerr, is exemplary. Yes, it's clunky at times but there are many times when you just have to surrender to its power. I play it whenever my wife is away .. she can't stand it, nor can she abide another favourite, 'Carousel' -- but fortunately she does love 'Oklahoma!' and I'm constantly amazed that that movie has not made it to Blu ray.... these studio executives really do need to be carefully taught. Anthony, in Woodend, Victoria, Australia

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thank goodness for the wonderful Blu-Ray version of "SOUTH PACIFIC". Fox did an outstanding job when you consider the likely condition of the majority of 35mm prints still remaining in existence. This is the current condition of an Australian 50s original 35mm CinemaScope 4 track Magnetic Stereo print. You will notice that this magnetic scope print also has a narrow optical mono track. The addition of the optical track was not common on 4 track magnetic prints and when available it was often used as a backup in case of a fault in the Cinema's mag sound system. Because of the narrower than normal optical soundtrack, the optical sound quality did suffer. Notice the damaged sprocket holes. Fox mag prints used smaller sprockets, so it looks like this print has been run through a projector using the larger standard size sprockets. Hence the damage.
abf652e4_pacific1.jpeg
e3a921dd_pacific3.jpeg
52814581_pacific5.jpeg
(click on image for larger view) Again, thank goodness for the brilliant blu-ray disc from Fox. Now bring on Blu-Ray versions of the other Rodgers & Hammerstein Musicals including a fully restored 70mm "Oklahoma!"

Real Name
Jeffrey Sultanof
I remember seeing a beautiful 70MM print run during the seventies in New York, and I distinctly remember some images from that film. The Blu-ray more than did justice to the movie, and the scenes with color filters look a lot better from the 70MM source vs. the 35MM source used for television. I would also like to know about the other R&H musicals. Wasn't Oklahoma restored? Are the 55MM elements of King and I and Carousel usable? The DVDs of these looked decent, although I remember reading that the 55MM negative of King and I was damaged when the film was reissued in 70MM in the early sixties. Is my memory correct here?

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
AnthonyClarke said:
I have to agree with Rsmithjnr ... this is a magical movie. I grew up with the old incomparable recordings by Ezio Pinza, Mary Martin and Juanita Hall etc, and although none of those voices survive on film (though I'm sure they could have used Juanita Hall's voice if they wished), the casting, particularly of Mitzi Gaynor, France Nuyen and John Kerr, is exemplary. Yes, it's clunky at times but there are many times when you just have to surrender to its power. I play it whenever my wife is away .. she can't stand it, nor can she abide another favourite, 'Carousel' -- but fortunately she does love 'Oklahoma!' and I'm constantly amazed that that movie has not made it to Blu ray.... these studio executives really do need to be carefully taught. Anthony, in Woodend, Victoria, Australia
I think all rights for the films still belong to the R&H Co.

Everett S.

Real Name
Everett
jeffsultanof said:
I remember seeing a beautiful 70MM print run during the seventies in New York, and I distinctly remember some images from that film. The Blu-ray more than did justice to the movie, and the scenes with color filters look a lot better from the 70MM source vs. the 35MM source used for television. I would also like to know about the other R&H musicals. Wasn't Oklahoma restored? Are the 55MM elements of King and I and Carousel usable? The DVDs of these looked decent, although I remember reading that the 55MM negative of King and I was damaged when the film was reissued in 70MM in the early sixties. Is my memory correct here?
I ran a print of Carousel in the 1960's for a monthly senoir citizen free show and the whole print was PINK.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Everett Stallings said:
I ran a print of Carousel in the 1960's for a monthly senoir citizen free show and the whole print was PINK.
We ran a print of Carousel (4-track magnetic) in about 1962 and it was CYAN. One of the few faded prints that I have seen that were cyan, almost always they are pink. Other than that, the print was totally flawless, not a scratch on it. Just like it was carefully stored away in a vault to decay gracefully. Does anyone know what the reason for this is?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Doug's actual photos and Everett's recollections are vivid testament to the ability to coax decent transfers from such compromised sources ... here's hoping that the Todd-AO version of ''Oklahoma!' gets the same wonderful treatment that was given to 'South Pacific'! Anthony

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Just watched the South Pacific blu ray and although the picture was great the lip sync drifted all over the place. I tried a manual sync adjustment on my receiver and it still seemed some parts were in sync and then it would drift again. After a search I read others have had this problem. Has anyone in this esteemed forum had this issue? Just curious if it's a defective disc.

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
had not noticed any lip sync issues period, only how well the cast is lip synced to other's voices or in Mitzi's case her own voice...one of my favorite musical films of all time, the blu ray is my own dream come true and to this day praise FOX for releasing this blu ray in 2009, making this a very early blu-ray release of a true classic, thank you FOX for putting this one on the top of your list 2009 and not making us wait! (any word on other R&H titles such as Oklahoma or King And I?)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I watched this for the first time a month or two ago. The movie's good, but I didn't find it particularly great or involving. Some catchy songs. But the transfer is a stunner. Absolutely gorgeous. I agree about the filters. I guess they were trying to achieve a heightened emotonal state, but the piss yellow is just ugly.

Everett S.

Real Name
Everett
AnthonyClarke said:
Doug's actual photos and Everett's recollections are vivid testament to the ability to coax decent transfers from such compromised sources ... here's hoping that the Todd-AO version of ''Oklahoma!' gets the same wonderful treatment that was given to 'South Pacific'! Anthony
Oklahoma! is on vUDU in HDX & looks great!!!

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
Dee Zee said:
Just watched the South Pacific blu ray and although the picture was great the lip sync drifted all over the place. I tried a manual sync adjustment on my receiver and it still seemed some parts were in sync and then it would drift again. After a search I read others have had this problem. Has anyone in this esteemed forum had this issue? Just curious if it's a defective disc.
I have terrible sync issues during the "Wonderful Guy" number. It starts out okay then starts going out of sync until the sound is about one word behind what she is mouthing.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I watched South Pacific this morning and had no sync issues. I paid attention especially during Wonderful Guy and it was fine. I was also impressed by the excellent lip syncing by the actors during Nothing Like A Dame. All those guys did a great job, it matched perfectly. I am using a PS3, DTS-HD Master Audio through a Sony receiver, and an Optoma projector.

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
agreed bryan, i am not sure why some are seeing synch issues with SP? plus i finally saw the beautiful (also originally TODD-AO) Hello Dolly released by FOX on blu ray last month! i am sure people may see what may appear to be synch issues there with Streisand, but i have always seen her to move her mouth around during a lyric, phrase, note...further evidence can be seen in any of her live performances. the disc is glorious, another AWESOME job by FOX

kpjwest

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim
Looking over some earlier comments it would appear that when issued a couple years ago, the Theatrical version of South Pacific was on Blu ray and the Roadshow version was on DVD. It has been upgraded now and the 4 disc set I bought in spring 2022 now includes both DVD and Blu ray versions of both versions.

I was looking forward to seeing the Roadshow version, so I could see the extra footage that was soon cut out, even knowing that extra footage was markedly inferior in video quality. But I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the Roadshow English sound track was Dolby digital 5.1 whereas the Theatrical version was DTS HD MA 5.1. But I started watching the Roadshow version anyway. I found it disappointing. This is a musical and the music is important. After watching up through chapter 14, Cockeyed Optimist, I switched to the Theatrical version and started with chapter 14, Cockeyed Optimist. It was so much better that I continued the Theatrical version to the end. It was a little louder, which makes it sound better but even after adjusting the volume down to match the Roadshow, the sound and music were so much richer and more deeply satisfying, and more emotionally connecting. Looking at the data rate for the intermission music, the rate was around 600 KBS on the Roadshow and about 7 MBS on the Theatrical. When there was video the rate was typically about 10 MBS Roadshow versus 30 MBS Theatrical. I didn’t notice a significant difference in the image quality, but the sound is vastly better at the higher DTS HD MA 5.1 data rate.

After thoroughly enjoying the remainder of the Theatrical version, I rewatched the first 14 chapters of it. The missing/extra footage doesn’t remove/add anything really significant. The vastly improved sound quality of the Theatrical DTS HD MA 5.1 soundtrack immeasurably enhances the movie experience of watching and listening to South Pacific. I did skim through the rest of the Roadshow version looking for the reduced image quality of the extra scenes and watched them. But I don’t think I will ever watch it again, unless perhaps the Roadshow version is released with a DTS HD MA 5.1 or better soundtrack. The loss of high quality sound detracts much more from the film than extra scenes can possibly make up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks