What's new

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Easy Mark. You too were just recently knocking Solo before seeing the film. ;)

Actually, I wasn't. I was expressing reservation about buying it due to the reviews regarding the quality of the film. That's not the same thing as saying the film never should have been made in the first place (the comment I responded to). I gave the film a chance (and always intended to) regardless of my reservations. That's very different than saying I won't see it because it shouldn't have been made.

Mark

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Two divergent points:

1. Profits: the grosses for any film must be seen in terms of the costs of production and distribution. Disney seems to believe that they can spend any amount of money on one of its CGI action movies. This belief allowed them to run the budget up in the first place, and then double-down on it by refilming over 70% of the film after the director was replaced. This is hardly the kind of economic film making that Roger Corman used to make many genre masterpieces. Hollywood needs to economize.

2. CGI: I am really tired to CGI action movies. I believe they are totally distorting the industry, in particular theatrical exhibition. Films today have to make it in the first 10 days of release or else they are forgotten.

I now see mostly indie, foreign, and classics films. I saw two wonderful Bette Davis films last weekend from the 30s, The Little Foxes and Cabin in the Cotton. Beautiful new 35mm prints shown at the great Stanford Theater.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Yeah, just like EVERY popcorn space adventure flick is a pointless waste of time. :rolleyes:
Mark

It was pointless to me because:

1. If I want to see a young Han Solo, I can watch the original three movies.
2. The main plot points have already been known in regards to Han's back story. I don't need to see it spelled out for me.
3. It doesn't really add anything to the overall narrative.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
It's a popcorn flick and a VERY enjoyable one at that. Your loss.

Mark

I for one don't feel any source of loss due to not enjoying this movie. I tried watching it twice and upon the second viewing I found ti to be a murky bore.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Yeah, it's really aggravating that George Lucas didn't think to hire Harrison Ford in 1970 to make a prequel for a movie that Lucas hadn't even made yet. I hate it when that happens.

:rolleyes:

Mark
No soap. He wouldn't have read young enough even then for an audience to relate.:rolleyes:

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Every new iteration of a character brings something new to them. And to think only one interpretation of the character is right is foolish.

At some point in the near future, this version of Han will be the one people will see first and then go back to Harrison Ford. Are you going to be okay when they say the same back to you...Ford is corny and a knock off and Ehrenreich is the real Solo?

"Right" can be a terrible performance, but it creates a character that becomes iconic--like Dunaway as Crawford. An audience, collectively or individually, can recognize a valid "Hamlet," and be unenthused at the idea or the poor guy acting his heart out. An audience having a firm idea of how something should be played (for whatever reason-an actor who made it live in their imagination, maybe) is not "foolish."

Artists who find an authentic human truth as actors may see their films fade in popularity in the future, but if that truth is in the performance, they still live unsurpassed in roles they got "right," and the bar was set--no matter what (Buster Keaton in The General, for example.) I don't know what longevity there is in Harrison's performance, but here and today there doesn't seem to be the studio-anticipated appeal in heating the character up with someone else.

I have no stake in the success of this picture. I like SW and am looking forward to owning this on blu (winging its way from Germany as we speak, I hope.) My speculation was based on what I have heard from big fans and my interest in why studios do what they do. If these films are important to carry on the name of "Star Wars," fine--if not, fine. We got some good stuff out of it.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
How long do your BBQs last!?

well that kind of depends on which state you are in, and what is being cooked, got friends from North Carolina that do a whole hog in the ground, and the cooking time alone is a day, so that is better for a three day weekend blow out, i just don't think the rest of the world understands the United States regional fascination with BBQ, NC Pulled Pork, KC Ribs, Chicago Rib Tips, Texas Mesquite Smoked Brisket, FL Gator Tail, all unique, all different, all wonderful,

Britton

Screenwriter
Will this be hitting Netflix like all the other Disney produced Star Wars movies? If so, I’ll wait for that.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"Right" can be a terrible performance, but it creates a character that becomes iconic--like Dunaway as Crawford. An audience, collectively or individually, can recognize a valid "Hamlet," and be unenthused at the idea or the poor guy acting his heart out. An audience having a firm idea of how something should be played (for whatever reason-an actor who made it live in their imagination, maybe) is not "foolish."

Sure it is...and here's why. Once that one actor is the only person who can "accurately" portray a character in a person's mind, you are closed off to new possibilities. If Ford is the only true Solo, then anyone else is any medium is an imposter and you discount that production. That could be a prequel, like Solo. It could be an audio play, like was done "back in the day." It could be a video game voice, a character meet and greet at a theme park or anything else.

We all have our favorite versions of a character. I won't argue that because that's obvious. But saying our preferred version is the only "right" one is foolish. The only person who has any right to say which version is "right" is the creator of the character, whether that's George Lucas in this case or Shakespeare or Gene Roddenberry for Trek or Stan Lee for many Marvel characters.

When The Force Awakens came out, I was very much against the movie. Saw it opening night, got the soundtracks and the BD and everything...but I still had a lot of problems with it. Then I realized something which turned my entire world around: this new SW is not and never will be "my" SW. "My" SW is rooted back in the OT. But does that mean I can't enjoy and appreciate anything that comes out now? No...and depriving myself of seeing the new movies only hurts me, no one else. And I don't like to be hurt. So I go into each new movie understanding that universe has changed and I can enjoy the movies on their own merits. I have to do the same with Trek and the live action versions of classic Disney movies. I have my preferred version, but by no means is that the only one which is valid.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Will this be hitting Netflix like all the other Disney produced Star Wars movies? If so, I’ll wait for that.
Don’t think so. I believe Black Panther is the last Disney film to be shown on Netflix.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep, and then the Marvel and Star Wars stuff will be only be available on Disney's own streaming service.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Disney movies are available through the end of the year, so it may make it still. Disney want to start its own streaming service next year. Everyone want a piece of that streaming pie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Disney movies are available through the end of the year, so it may make it still. Disney want to start its own streaming service next year. Everyone want a piece of that streaming pie.

It looks like Captain Marvel will be the first Marvel film exclusively streamed by Disney's new service.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It looks like Captain Marvel will be the first Marvel film exclusively streamed by Disney's new service.
Are you saying that other Disney/Marvel films won't be available to stream on iTunes and Vudu if you already have them in your digital library?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks