What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Silverado -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I also enjoy Kasdan's Wyatt Earp. Unfortunately, the movie was a monstrous bomb, so much that he'll never convince a studio to give him money to make another Western.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
WYATT EARP's failure at the box-office has more to do with TOMBSTONE being a monster hit the year before than the film itself. When two competitive films come out at the same time the second one is bound to suffer at the box-office. But that is no reflection on WYATT EARP, although studio execs are always looking for an excuse to reject a proposed western. Even Kevin Costner has been having trouble getting another western financed; when studios pulled out of his last one, OPEN RANGE (2003) the Costner family financed it themselves. It made money.
TOMBSTONE had a profound impact on the western, on the reenactment profession, on tourism in Arizona, and on the town of Tombstone itself. It also started a renaissance in historical research -- countless academic papers and over a hundred books since the film was released in 1993. Plus it was filmed at Mescal only 30 miles up the road from the actual Tombstone. But of the two, I prefer WYATT EARP for many reasons.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tombstone being released six months earlier definitely hurt the box office appeal for Wyatt Earp. However, I would say that the second film was not only better made, but more historically accurate even though some would say it was less entertaining than Tombstone.

Crawdaddy

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Richard--W said:
As an aside, did you know the town-set Kasdan built in New Mexico for SILVERADO also served as the main location for WYATT EARP ? Except he doubled the size of it. Several films including LONESOME DOVE got to use it before Warner Brothers paid the ranch owner to burn it down on camera for their WILD WEST WEST remake. Only two buildings were left standing.
The same set was used in APPALOOSA, a film I quite enjoyed. It's part of Tom Ford's ranch these days.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The Tombstone and Dodge City scenes were shot mainly on Cook's Ranch near Galisteo and some scenes were shot at Eave's Ranch set (which was built by John Wayne long time ago). I've been to them many times. APPALOOSA was shot at the Bonanza Creek Ranch set south of Santa Fe. They all look alike and are situated fairly close to one another.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I like both Tombstone and Wyatt Earp for their own reasons. I actually think they go pretty well together, since Wyatt Earp skips right over a lot of the story covered in Tombstone (all the parts about the Earps establishing themselves when they first get to town).
Tombstone is a more populist-oriented action movie, so it's no surprise that it did better at the box office. However, it alone was not the only reason for Wyatt Earp's failure. Kasdan's film was widely criticized for being too long, too dull, and too self-importantly ponderous. Many of the reviews at the time were scathing.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Parker Clack said:
Loved the film.
Loved the film score.
Loved the story.
Loved the cinematography
Loved the cast.
I remember the first time I saw it at the theater and how much I looked forward to seeing it in my home one day.
Thanks to the great care that Sony has done with this Blu-ray disc I can say that I finally have in my home what I remember seeing and hearing in the theater.
Parker
The score is so rousing it will make you want to start breaking up the furniture. I've been meaning to pick up the special edition 2-disc soundtrack released by Intrada:
In my library the soundtrack CD sits next to the blu-ray / DVD on the shelf.
It has twice as much of the score as the original soundtrack which is oop now.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Robert Crawford said:
Tombstone being released six months earlier definitely hurt the box office appeal for Wyatt Earp.  However, I would say that the second film was not only better made, but more historically accurate even though some would say it was less entertaining than Tombstone.
Crawdaddy
I like both films, but I think that Val Kilmer was a more entertaining Doc Holiday than Dennis Quaid. He stole every scene he was in, and in general at least for me, made the film more entertaining and memorable. Wyatt Earp, I believe was much more true to the actual details and story, but Tombstone had the better supporting cast and moved at a better pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks