What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Silk Stockings -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Rouben Mamoulian's Silk Stockings, in CinemaScope and Metrocolor, and Stereophonic sound, arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of Warner's Archive Collection in absolutely magnificent form.

Color, densities, shadow detail are very good for a 1957 Eastman production, but in some ways, the color here, at least in some sequences, outshines many others.

As an example, check out the musical number between Fred Astaire and Janis Page, and you'll see for yourself. Ms Page's costume in the brightest green imaginable, and her red hair, literally jump off the screen, while flesh tones remain absolutely dead on.

This film has always reminded me of that 1939 film with the three Russian comrades, but it's probably coincidence.

A few short few words, as Silk Stockings, is a perfect film.

Unfamiliar with the work of Rouben Mamoulian?

Time to check him out. Probably best to begin with Dr. Jekyll, and continue with Queen Christina, and the Mark of Zorro. A good beginning.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for the good news.

Oh and I'd add Love Me Tonight with that fantastic opening.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Even non-musical lovers are impressed when I show them the "Isn't It Romantic" number from LOVE ME TONIGHT. A brilliant piece of cinema.

I wonder if PORGY AND BESS would be widely available today if Mamoulian hadn't been fired from the film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And I'll throw in Mamoulian's Summer Holiday (1948), a film that suffered from many edits, deletions and released almost two years after filming. It has some moments of greatness.

Excellent news about Silk Stockings. Looking forward to it.
I agree about Summer Holiday. The film seems choppy due to all of the interference after the fact, but some of those tunes will get stuck in your head and not get out for weeks. "The Stanley Steamer" has that effect on me. So glad to have the soundtrack CD which contains all of the verses of that infectious tune.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I agree about Summer Holiday. The film seems choppy due to all of the interference after the fact, but some of those tunes will get stuck in your head and not get out for weeks. "The Stanley Steamer" has that effect on me. So glad to have the soundtrack CD which contains all of the verses of that infectious tune.

Agreed. I own the Rhino soundtrack, also, and the one of many that lingers in my head is "Omar and the Princess", one of the deleted numbers. Not that Rooney was that great of a singer, but the music and arrangement is gorgeous. No surprise since the music was composed by Harry Warren.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm in the minority but I much prefer Silk Stockings to Ninotchka. Very excited about this Archives blu of SS.

Maybe so, but Garbo is woefully under-represented on blu. Are ANY of her movies on blu, besides Grand Hotel?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I love Cyd's costume for the "Red Blues" number... Helen Rose really knew how to dress a dancer, because the skirt she designed for Charisse in that scene moves and twirls around her like it's made of liquid.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Agreed about Garbo. We NEED Camille, Anna Karenina and Queen Christina for starters. Camille, my all time favorite Garbo weepie with Garbo luminescent and Robert Taylor impossibly handsome. As for Silk Stockings - what more can one say about one of only two movies to co-star the elegant Fred Astaire and luscious Cyd Charisse - "too bad, too good to be true - ya! Ya! Ya!"

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Maybe so, but Garbo is woefully under-represented on blu. Are ANY of her movies on blu, besides Grand Hotel?

I much prefer Garbo's silents to her talkies. A box set of her silents on blu would be terrific. As for her talkies ..... meh, the DVDs are good enough for me.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Sooooooo.... I guess this is another Archive release for which the Amazon release date was merely a suggestion?

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Sooooooo.... I guess this is another Archive release for which the Amazon release date was merely a suggestion?

I think the truth of the matter is that the release date is that of Warner Archives. Amazon.com seems to get them in stock about one week later than the Warner Archives release date. This is not a definite timetable. I got WA's "Victor, Victoria" and "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" within the first week of issue via Amazon.com so it wasn't exactly one week.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Except this time, most of the retailers are out of stock/ back ordered. And apparently never had stock.

And Amazon is saying 1 to 2 MONTHS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks