What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ She Wore a Yellow Ribbon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Perhaps the the future? Amazon only has a DVD or streaming
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/3-Godfathers-Blu-ray/125363/
upload_2016-7-11_19-5-57.png

upload_2016-7-11_19-6-34.png

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"How many *r's* in territory?"

"
Join me in a chaw of tobacco, Sergeant?"

"Old soldiers...", Miss Dandridge... hah! Someday you'll learn how they hate to give up. Captain of the troop one day, every man's face turned towards you—lieutenants jump when I growl. Now, tomorrow, I'll be glad if a blacksmith asks me to shoe a horse."

"To Captain Brittles from C Troop. Lest we forget."

My favorite performance by John Wayne is as Captain Nathan Brittles, and my favorite John Ford movie is She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. Funny, corny, and surprisingly emotional, the movie also features Oscar-winning cinematography by Winton Hoch that is stunning in this Warner Archive blu-ray.

There's a little story according to wikipedia behind the storm shot:

"....Ford had finished shooting for the day, but when the picturesque storm brewed he asked Hoch if they could shoot in the declining light. Hoch answered, "It's awfully dark, Jack. I'll shoot it. I just can't promise anything." Ford then instructed, "Winnie, open her up [the camera lens] and let's go for it. If it doesn't turn out, I'll take the rap." Winnie complied, saying, "Fair enough, Jack."

To misquote another movie, "Play it again, Sam, for old time's sake." That's what I did tonight and I enjoyed this movie again even more than I thought I would.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yo, great film, great looking Blu-ray & a great performance by John Wayne, who should have won his first Oscar.
John Wayne is my favorite all-time actor, but there were a handful of acting performance in 1949, that were better than his performance in this great film. That year, Wayne was properly nominated for his acting performance in "Sands of Iwo Jima".

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
John Wayne was a criminally underrated film actor, you never caught him "acting" or saying lines, just the perfect film actor (plus a bucketload of star charisma) . Even though She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is a western, Wayne may have been out of his comfort zone playing someone 25-30 years older than he was then, but he totally nailed it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Wayne was a criminally underrated film actor, you never caught him "acting" or saying lines, just the perfect film actor (plus a bucketload of star charisma) . Even though She Wore A Yellow Ribbon is a western, Wayne may have been out of his comfort zone playing someone 25-30 years older than he was then, but he totally nailed it.
I'm not saying he didn't nail it, but that doesn't mean it was the best acting performance in 1949.:) Anyhow, I respect your opinion on the matter, I just can't agree with it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Which great performances from 1949 get your vote?
You didn't ask me, but I know off the top of my head three I would have honored before John Wayne, one who was nominated and two who weren't:

Kirk Douglas in Champion (nominated)
James Cagney in White Heat (not nominated)
Montgomery Clift in The Heiress (not nominated)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You didn't ask me, but I know off the top of my head three I would have honored before John Wayne, one who was nominated and two who weren't:

Kirk Douglas in Champion (nominated)
James Cagney in White Heat (not nominated)
Montgomery Clift in The Heiress (not nominated)
That's three of them as well as Crawford/All the King's Men, Peck/Twelve O'Clock High and Ryan/The Set-Up. With that said, I think Cagney's performance in White Heat is the most memorable one to this day.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
"Give me Remington colour!"

Give it to me in 4k UHD...

That might possible, but I assume Warner would need to go back to the original 3-strip Technicolor for a new 4k scan. That would be costly for a title that's revered by fans of old Westerns, but otherwise is maybe not very well known. Here's some information from RAH's original review from a few years ago:

"I mention this, as Warner Archive's new Blu-ray, is a wonderful representation of the original.

Not perfect, as it was taken from an IP derived from the original three-strip negatives, but so good, and with such accurate color (matched to an original nitrate), and perfect registration, that if I had to decide which way to go for the difference in cost, I'd do precisely what Warner Archive has done."

This blu-ray of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon still looks great, and so I'd rather see Warner invest in a title like The Pirate that hasn't yet made it to blu-ray at all.

But it's an interesting question as to whether we will ever see any 3-strip Technicolor movies released as 4k UHD blu-rays.

The oldest title I know of that's been released to 4k is The Bridge on the River Kwai, which, aside from a few shots (mostly in the opening) looks fantastic imho. And that's obviously not a 3-strip Technicolor film.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The oldest title I know of that's been released to 4k is The Bridge on the River Kwai, which, aside from a few shots (mostly in the opening) looks fantastic imho. And that's obviously not a 3-strip Technicolor film.
War of the Worlds is out in 4K and Dolby Vision. I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe it may have been 3-strip Technicolor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks