What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ She Wore a Yellow Ribbon -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In case anyone is considering a Monument Valley visit, some posts back I recommended Valley of the Gods as a dry camp location. Here's a shot I took of our evening's accommodations on our trip there last June, just to give you an idea of what a horrible place it is. ;) This is looking south-southeast in the general direction of Monument Valley. Click on the thumbnail for the full rez image...

IMG_1270.JPG

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In case anyone is considering a Monument Valley visit, some posts back I recommended Valley of the Gods as a dry camp location. Here's a shot I took of our evening's accommodations on our trip there last June, just to give you an idea of what a horrible place it is. ;) This is looking south-southeast in the general direction of Monument Valley. Click on the thumbnail for the full rez image...

View attachment 32054

A number of years ago, my Asst visited Monument Valley, and kindly brought me a ball jar filled with genuine MV sand/earth.

The color is accurately represented not only in She Wore, but also in the image above.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In the case of Doug Wallen and Rodney, it seems that the postman DID ring twice.
Congratulations.
Now, can anyone out there tell me if there were any collaborations between Hoch and Hawks?:D

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well now, THIS is how you do it - stunning and the color, oh, the color - Warners please go do The Searchers again now that you've figured out how to do the color. Funny thing about The Searchers, a transfer that was initially RAVED about color-wise, save for a few of us lone voices in the wilderness - that transfer would be trounced on by the teal brigade today. I'm surprised no one's said this is too blue - it's not, but I'm surprised that no one's said it, comparing it to other earlier transfers. This is luscious, baby, and it's like watching something that was shot yesterday. Whether you love or merely like or even don't like this film, you should have it for the transfer alone, so you know what accurate color is for that era. I am, in short, gobsmacked at the beauty of this damn thing.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well now, THIS is how you do it - stunning and the color, oh, the color - Warners please go do The Searchers again now that you've figured out how to do the color. Funny thing about The Searchers, a transfer that was initially RAVED about color-wise, save for a few of us lone voices in the wilderness - that transfer would be trounced on by the teal brigade today. I'm surprised no one's said this is too blue - it's not, but I'm surprised that no one's said it, comparing it to other earlier transfers. This is luscious, baby, and it's like watching something that was shot yesterday. Whether you love or merely like or even don't like this film, you should have it for the transfer alone, so you know what accurate color is for that era. I am, in short, gobsmacked at the beauty of this damn thing.
Even before waiting upon "SWaYR", I have also wondered if the advances from these past few years might lead to a newer transfer of "The Searchers", as well. But I am also aware that these things take time.
Meanwhile, haineshisway's welcomed review sounds more like an experience, which whets the appetite further and supersedes an already high expectation. "Gobsmacked" just increases my anticipations. Thanks for the review!

Last edited:

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I also now have the SWAYR blu-ray and it's absolutely every bit as gorgeous as others have said. So happy I also got to see it in the theater at TCMFF! I wish they'd have one of those nationwide screenings usually done through Fathom Events.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Holy cow, what an amazing transfer! I was gonna wait for a price drop, but with all the accolades, I knew I had to get this. I was blown away by this high def transfer! Besides the image being so good, I was super impressed with the audio. I've always heard a tiney hollow soundtrack, but this one has a fun sounding robust soundtrack. Thanks Warner for such a wonderful job on this release!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dear Crawdaddy,

:laugh:I'm afraid that I won't be able to House-Sit for you.
I understand that the rescinding of my earlier offer [6/18 Post #81] may possibly take much of my credibility away; but I can no longer lie to you. The offer was for the sole purpose of watching your copy of "SWaYR". BUT, since my own copy will finally be arriving within a matter of days; I soon discovered that my urgency to mooch off of others has now most assuredly Wa(y)ned.:laugh:

My regards to Monument Valley,
PMF;)

P.S. I ordered "Yellow Ribbon" with "Old Yeller". Was this a subconscious purchase?:unsure:

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Dear Crawdaddy,

:laugh:I'm afraid that I won't be able to House-Sit for you....

P.S. I ordered "Yellow Ribbon" with "Old Yeller". Was this a subconscious purchase?:unsure:
As long as you didn't order it with "The Shootist" I think you'll be alright ;)

Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching this one now and wow—it looks as good as opening night at the studio theater in 1948. Great work by WB.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I received my copy on Saturday.
I have nothing to add to what has already been said, stated and Posted.
All that I can do is confirm:
P-E-R-F-E-C-T-I-O-N !!!
From the opening credits and out of the gate, the yellow tassels show a detail to which each and every twist of silken yarn could practically be felt with just your eyes..
Thank you, WAC.:)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As is often the case, I'm late to the party (there are just too many movies and too little time), but I watched this today, and I must echo the comments of others who enthusiastically endorsed this sterling transfer. No WONDER it won the Best Color Cinematography Oscar in 1949! Shot after shot will just take your breath away, and the film itself, a cavalry road movie with lots of entertaining episodes of comedy and action (and some tedious romance but I guess they had to have that for the ladies) will hold your attention throughout.

What a brilliant transfer! Thank you, Warners, for another job well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks