What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Shane -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Lots of films remastered from the negatives loose much of their original look. The Avengers TV show for example lost all it's day for night scenes when the first remasters were made in 1992, and again recently in 2008. I phoned the remastering company and offered they sample my VHS of the original screenings to duplicate the night scenes, but they wouldn't bother. So now all previously intended at night scenes play at full day with a bizarre brown tint.

Lucky for Shane, the son of the director is involved.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
HDvision said:
Lots of films remastered from the negatives loose much of their original look. The Avengers TV show for example lost all it's day for night scenes when the first remasters were made in 1992, and again recently in 2008. I phoned the remastering company and offered they sample my VHS of the original screenings to duplicate the night scenes, but they wouldn't bother. So now all previously intended at night scenes play at full day with a bizarre brown tint.

I'm halfway through the 4th season of Perry Mason and have seen almost no night scenes that looked even remotely like night. The only scenes that have loooked like night were probably shot on a soundstage. All night exteriors look like afternoon.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
HDvision said:
The Avengers TV show for example lost all it's day for night scenes when the first remasters were made in 1992, and again recently in 2008. I phoned the remastering company and offered they sample my VHS of the original screenings to duplicate the night scenes, but they wouldn't bother. So now all previously intended at night scenes play at full day with a bizarre brown tint.
Is the recent (2011) U.K. Box set (The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition) affected by this as well?

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Yes. All the same. I know the series by heart (was involved on the original A&E DVD release which was from the video remasters). I can't do grabs, but trust me, in the original series, all the day for night shots looked like night. You could guess they were shot day for night by 10 to 20% of the look (and that was if you were knowledgeable on film techniques). On the other versions, it just look totally bizarre, especially when there's a mix-up of day for night and dusk or dawn scenes.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
HDvision said:

The recent BD releases of the ITV/Granada Sherlock Holmes series sometimes exhibit the same issue. Particularly in Sign of Four. The climax mixes day-for-night (dusk) and genuine night shooting. Without the proper filtering, on the BD transfer, the scene actually goes from high noon to pitch black in a single cut.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think that this is my release of the year thus far; there are other releases that boast more supplements, come more beautifully packaged or have arrived with much more fanfare.

But none that have provided as much sheer joy as seeing - and hearing - George Stevens masterpiece in such pristine condition, and yes, as discussed above, as seeing for the first time those day for night scenes so beautifully presented.

Tears pricked my eyes.

Bravo to all concerned.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
John Hodson said:
I think that this is my release of the year thus far; there are other releases that boast more supplements, come more beautifully packaged or have arrived with much more fanfare.But none that have provided as much sheer joy as seeing - and hearing - George Stevens masterpiece in such pristine condition, and yes, as discussed above, as seeing for the first time those day for night scenes so beautifully presented.Tears pricked my eyes.Bravo to all concerned.
I completely agree. There is going to have to be something that really knocks my socks off to replace this as my vote for best Blu-ray of the year, In several categories.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
I completely agree. There is going to have to be something that really knocks my socks off to replace this as my vote for best Blu-ray of the year, In several categories.
When it comes to PQ-wise only, it is.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Better late to the party than never:

Just watched Shane for my first time, and ... damn, what a film. But this Blu-ray -- beyond belief. Why don't we live in a world where all transfers are handled as well this one?

Back tomorrow for the commentary.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Haven't seen "Shane" in many years. So I decided to have an Alan Ladd Blu-ray double feature tonight. Watched "Shane" and "Appointment with Danger".

Watching the pristine Blu-ray of "Shane" was like seeing it for the first time. The reviews do not exaggerate. The colors and details are amazing. In a close up early on, you can count individual peach fuzz on Brandon DeWilde's cute little face.

"Appointment with Danger", made a few years earlier than "Shane", and one of Olive's film noir efforts, was not as pretty a transfer, but entertaining nonetheless.

I had forgotten how many of the great character actors were featured in these two films. A virtual who's who from so many of the great films and TV shows of the 50's and 60's. Everything from Dragnet to Petticoat Junction!

incidentally, "Shane" figured in an early part of my childhood. When I was about 3 or 4, years before I had any inkling that it was a movie, "Shane" was the name of a neighbors pet bulldog. It used to come into our yard once in a while, and one time it ate the pudding from a large bowl that that my mom had put out on the back porch to cool. My mom was furious! And one of my earliest sentences, that would amuse my family to no end was: "Shane ate the puddin'".... I guess ya had to be there. :biggrin:

Reactions: PMF

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I was going to post this on the "What Happens to Shane?" page, but it's closed. Anyway, movie blogger Glenn Erickson (aka DVD Savant) weighs in on the ending:

Nobody mentions the physical symbolism that indicates that the phantom 'angel' gunslinger Shane is not long for this world. Riders enter the town by passing through a pair of young tree saplings. Trouble is foreshadowed when Joey takes a short cut through the cemetery on his dash to town. When Shane finally exits he's last seen among the same tombstones. As the myth goes, the valiant man of violence clears the way for a civilization that no longer has a place for him. We're forced to conclude that George Stevens envisioned the filmic West as a place for optimistic American fairy tales. His next movie Giant would undercut many of the values celebrated here.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry, hit wrong button.
I would have hoped that the message of Shane was that this, one of the last of the old gunslingers, represented the final flourish which would bring peace and an end to the gun culture which was so integral to the Old West.
Sadly, the old days have gone but it seems the crazy gun culture remains ....
I shouldn't really comment from the safety of Australia, but I do have a daughter living in Brooklyn so it's hard not to notice so many sad current events .....

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
AnthonyClarke said:
Sorry, hit wrong button.
I would have hoped that the message of Shane was that this, one of the last of the old gunslingers, represented the final flourish which would bring peace and an end to the gun culture which was so integral to the Old West.
Sadly, the old days have gone but it seems the crazy gun culture remains ....
I shouldn't really comment from the safety of Australia, but I do have a daughter living in Brooklyn so it's hard not to notice so many sad current events .....
The constitution literally used to mean the right to bear arms, Yogi sneaked in and changed it and the rest is history.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Was looking at my disc library and noticed my Blu-ray of Shane and it's been years since i have seen it. Viewed it last night with the commentary by George Stevens Jr. and associate producer Ivan Moffat and what a great film and the image is so beautiful with the Wyoming mountains in the background. Colors are excellent and even the night scenes look great. One of the best looking Blu-rays i have seen and did enjoy the commentary.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Kino’s Frank Tarzi stated on a recent podcast that Shane is coming out on 4K/UHD in 2024.

So, what you're saying is, Shane is coming back?

I might know someone who'll be very happy to hear that news.

shane.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks