Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Harris submitted a new blog post

A few words about...™ Shampoo -- in Blu-ray
ShampooFP-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
"Shampoo" is one of my all-time top ten favourite movies. In 1975, I saw it several times in the theatre, and this Blu-Ray finally looks like I remember it looking. No home video version until now has given me that, and I'm including the Criterion laserdisc, the Columbia DVD, and a recent HD version on one of the movie channels. The classic opening scene finally works the way it's supposed to! I only mind a little that the extras are very sparse, because Criterion got "Shampoo" right.

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron
I
Here's a simple one.

Hal Ashby's 1975 Shampoo, was then, and is now, a wonderful film. It stands the test of time.

Criterion's new Blu-ray, courtesy of Columbia is a perfect Blu-ray.

Terrific and correct color, gorgeous, accurate, velvety film grain, and a stable, clean image, with perfect audio.

Easy.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended

RAH
I seem to recall that when I watched this film on TV years ago that the music soundtrack seemed different than the original theatrical release. Am I mistaken? Is the music on the new Criterion release the same as the theatrical version?

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
"Shampoo" is one of my all-time top ten favourite movies. In 1975, I saw it several times in the theatre, and this Blu-Ray finally looks like I remember it looking. No home video version until now has given me that, and I'm including the Criterion laserdisc, the Columbia DVD, and a recent HD version on one of the movie channels. The classic opening scene finally works the way it's supposed to! I only mind a little that the extras are very sparse, because Criterion got "Shampoo" right.
Likewise, David. It was my favorite movie of 1975. Should have won the Oscar!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Likewise, David. It was my favorite movie of 1975. Should have won the Oscar!
Lee Grant won for Best Supporting Actress.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Best Picture nominees were:
Barry Lyndon
Dog Day Afternoon
Jaws
Nashville
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I got around to watching the Criterion disc of this great film. One thing that struck
Me was the excellent discussion in the extras between Mark Harris and Frank Rich. It’s almost like both men have the same stylist or something. With similar glasses and neonish button down blue shirts, it could be a conversation between the same man separated by 20 years.
ACC6499F-4135-411D-B1F5-592B560EBECB.jpeg

Attachments

• 6FD918B5-1FD6-4316-9800-07CE03D0C36F.jpeg
    6FD918B5-1FD6-4316-9800-07CE03D0C36F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks