What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Seven Years in Tibet -- in BD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've been very silent for a full 12 months not only about Sony's Blu-Ray launch but also as to the software chosen to represent the studio and the questionable quality of that software.

Things did not go well. Or at least not according to plan. An abortive player from Samsung with it's own problems, did little to mask the "not ready for prime time" BD software.

But a year in things have changed. The release of PS3, an updated player from Samsung, and units from both Panasonic and Pioneer have set the stage for the emergence of a format that should have occurred a year ago.

I must also applaud Sony's proactive approach toward some of their early errors, and their offer to upgrade The Fifth Element discs to the new edition.

To be honest, while I've purchased a number of Sony titles in the past few months, I haven't found the time to view them, and was equally a bit concerned as to precisely what I might find.

Finally, I did.

Jean-Jacques Annaud's Seven Years in Tibet starring Brat Pitt as what might be looked upon as a "poster" Nazi, is a far from perfect film, but tells a tale well, and looks absolutely gorgeous while doing it.

Finally, a Sony BD release that I can call spectacular. Seven Years is true to form in color, densities, black levels, shadow detail, and makes a solid case for a look that appears as if the studio has not messed with grain structure to any real extent.

I'm pleased to finally be able to say something positive about a Sony release, and hopefully more will come that represent a film close to the way that it was viewed on screen, and processed for grain removal.

I now have to find the time to check into a few earlier Sony releases to see how they measure up to this product.

While the film is Recommended, the software comes Highly Recommended. Seven Years... is a magnificent release.

RAH

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ya Rrobert, das goode! I agree with your sentiments about this film. I got it the day it came out. Sony really has picked up the last 3 months. I wish they'd put out more of the kind of films I'd like to see....like Ghandi! This one is a start on getting out something besides gameboy flicks. Lawrence, lawrence, where are you?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Boy/girl, Robert & Rachael are both in on this one!
As always, thanks.

Not a fave film, just dumped the SD DVD, however always enjoyed the look, sound, & most of the story. Brad's Austrian accent is a weak point, for me, though.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Thanks Robert, I was wondering if I should pick this up. Your review convinced me. I'll get it this weekend.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think Brad could do German with his eyes closed. Just Austrian is lighter and he keep losing his balance of tone.
Beautiful flick though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks