What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Seven Brides for Seven Brothers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I call this "The Over-the-Top Reaction Syndrome." Perhaps I should have been clearer - POP music lyrics today. Please do show me some examples of great lyric writing in pop lyrics today, although great is in the eye of the beholder. Obviously I was speaking for my very own self, but that seems to be lost on you. Did I really need to add an IMO? Since I was the one posting it I think that should have been obvious. And here's a novel thought: People "liked" the post and didn't "challenge" it because they agreed with it. Funny how that works. I don't even think much of most Broadway lyrics today, either, especially this year, but that's also a personal thing. I think what I meant was perfectly clear and everyone but you seems to have understood it. That's fine, too. In the year 2018 (yes, I was that specific) I find pop lyrics atrocious. Oh, well.

As noted, there's a big difference between "I don't care for modern lyrics" or even "most modern lyrics are bad" to the idea that literally every modern song comes with lyrics so terrible that they're "swill" and don't deserve to be called lyrics.

My response was over the top? Seriously? How can a reaction of disappointment that so many "liked" your viewpoint be 1/100th as over the top as your original statement?

You didn't originally set the bar at "great" song lyrics - if you'd said "I don't think any modern songs have great lyrics", that'd be totally different.

You claimed each and every modern song has terrible lyrics, lyrics so awful they don't even qualify as lyrics. Don't demand great modern lyrics when that's not what your original comment discussed.

And I reacted not to you as much as to the "likes". I expect this kind of commentary from you - I felt disappointed that others who I usually respect felt your post deserved a "like"...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Here's a hit song lyric from right now:

Easy money
It's about to be a surgical summer
Chop the tops off the coupes
The cuatrocientos ochenta y ocho
The Spyder joint
And you know we gotta cut the heads off these snakes, right?
Watch the body drop

Drug dealin' aside, ghostwritin' aside
Let's have a heart-to-heart about your pride
Even though you're multi, I see that your soul don't look alive
The M's count different when Baby divides the pie, wait
Let's examine why
Your music for the past few years been angry and full of lies
I'll start it at the home front, "I'm on One"
Dennis Graham stay off the gram, bitch, I'm on one
You mention wedding ring like it's a bad thing
Your father walked away at five, hell of a dad thing
Marriage is somethin' that Sandi never had, Drake
How you a winner, but she keep comin' in last place?

It goes on - and on - and on - I'll take Wonderful, Wonderful Day any day or night of the week.

Yeah, you win! Those lyrics are just awful, way worse than this:

I'm a lonesome polecat
Lonesome, sad and blue
'Cause I ain't got no feminine polecat
Vowin' to be true
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
Cain't make no vows
To a herd o' cows.
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
I'm a mean old hounddog
Bayin' at the moon
'Cause I ain't got no lady friend hounddog
Here to hear my tune
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Agree 100%. Like I said, I remain way more disappointed that the original post got so many "likes". Are there that may pairs of rose-colored glasses out there?
The joke is that I'm so out of mainstream radio that I'd have trouble naming a current pop song if my life depended on it but I'm not going to generalize and say that it's all bad.

Also, the greatest song ever written is the Ramones' "I'm Against It". No connection to the Marx Brothers other stealing the title and that they must have been fans of them.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yeah, you win! Those lyrics are just awful, way worse than this:

I'm a lonesome polecat
Lonesome, sad and blue
'Cause I ain't got no feminine polecat
Vowin' to be true
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
Cain't make no vows
To a herd o' cows.
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh
I'm a mean old hounddog
Bayin' at the moon
'Cause I ain't got no lady friend hounddog
Here to hear my tune
Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh

Colin, you're a little out of your depth here. The lyric above is written for CHARACTERS in a film and for those CHARACTERS it is perfect in every way and has, I don't know, call me crazy, actual, real rhymes, in addition to being a well-constructed plot song. But keep trying.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The lyric above is written for CHARACTERS in a film and for those CHARACTERS it is perfect in every way and has, I don't know, call me crazy, actual, real rhymes, in addition to being a well-constructed plot song.

Exactly! Someone writing a popular song has the freedom to write anything he wants in whatever style he wants. There are no restrictions. Writing songs for a musical is determined by the plot, the characters, the era etc. Writing lyrics for Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady is different than writing lyrics for Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun. The lyrics for the characters in 7 Brides For 7 Brothers are appropriate. Witty lyrics in the style of Noel Coward or Cole Porter would be totally out of place. Why people don't get this is ..... perplexing. If one doesn't like the songs in 7 Brides, fine. I have no problem with that. But attempting to justify that dislike by implying they are somehow inferior is wrong.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Sparks 2017 album Hippopotamus. Brilliant, intelligent & witty lyrics in songs that tell a story or are poetic, although songwriting like this is VERY thin on the ground these days (I never pass up a chance push one of my favourite bands).

Sparks have also been one of my favourite bands since the early 70's, but they are one of a kind. There's no one in rock music or popular music in general to compare them to, but I'm not surprised that you'd bring them up here. Home Theatre Forum is full of people with catholic taste, emphasis on "taste", and that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a novel thought...

Let's return to a discussion about this new release of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

And let's leave behind the totally subjective endeavor to decide what makes a good lyric and if we've seen any good lyrics in recent years.

I happened to watch my copy of my new Blu of the film last night. The Cinescope version. I repeat what I said in an earlier post: the audio fidelity is really knock-your-socks-off stuff (which is kinda important for a musical). It's a wonderful presentation which really enhanced my enjoyment of the film above and beyond the enjoyment I used to get from watching my ol' DVD of the film.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What the hell happened?

Ha, sorry, but it was like a challenge from Hainshisway (he started it sir, honest he did sir). I shouldn't even be posting in this thread as I have no interest in the movie, but it sounds like it's an ace release. Anyway, back to the fillum.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And if that continues, it gives the division, the ability to do more work on other films.

How about any of their 1950's 3D titles? It's been years since their last 3D release. Have 3D Film Archve do the work and save about 95% what they currently spend.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
This Blu-Ray is a major release, and very well done. If we were provided more information about how it was achieved I believe there would be less tangential discussion and more technical. It is a shame WB didn't provide us with a behind the scenes featurette on how these discs were achieved. Perhaps then those of us who love the art of film and preservation could have dominated the thread, rather than all of this sideline chatter of things that don't matter.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have spot checked the disc and it looks fantastic (Cinemascope). I work second shift and checked it after I got off work. I have yet to play this as loud as I would like (you know, my wife and son asleep). Looking forward to cranking this up this weekend to hear how great this sounds. These complimentary posts have got me all fired up for this weekend. Thanks, guys!!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This Blu-Ray is a major release, and very well done. If we were provided more information about how it was achieved I believe there would be less tangential discussion and more technical. It is a shame WB didn't provide us with a behind the scenes featurette on how these discs were achieved. Perhaps then those of us who love the art of film and preservation could have dominated the thread, rather than all of this sideline chatter of things that don't matter.
Allow me to introduce you to the Warner Archive Podcast. This episode has quite a bit to say how this Blu-ray came to be: https://app.stitcher.com/splayer/f/32048/54771146

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks