What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Scarlet Street -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fritz Lang's 1945 noir Scarlet Street has been in the public domain since 1973, which means that most people have seen it via murky 16mm dupes transferred to VHS or DVD.

While still very much PD, Kino Lorber ups the ante by accessing a Library of Congress 35mm element, which as transferred beautifully to Blu-ray.

Based upon a nitrate print, you'll see occasional, but not terribly problematic emulsion scratches on the con side of things. But on the pro, a very nice blacks, with far better gray scale levels than one might presume from a dupe. If this is derived from a dupe neg, the LoC is doing something very right -- but they usually do. Sync has occasional problems -- I don't know why -- on two different players, but nothing that's a deal killer.

One must wonder, however, why this release has a list of $30 and a street price of $19, when The English Patient can be had for $12.

Scarlet Street is a very good film that deserves to be seen. Edward G. Robinson, cast against former type, as a milk toast who becomes involved with Joan Bennett, playing what one would assume to be a lady of the night c. 1934. But the real player here is Dan Duryea, as a probable pimp or whatever. Talk about someone you'd love to hate. Great acting.

If there was a way for Kino bring PD titles out at even just a bit lower cost, I believe they'd find a real audience.

And for the uninitiated...

Yes. This was directed by the Fritz Lang of Metropolis and M fame.

Recommended.

RAH

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Good news about the transfer. The some of the earlier Kino DVDs such as their original Scarlet Street DVD left a bit to be desired in their transfers.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I screened this last night and agree that the shadow detail is excellent with its gray scale and solid blacks.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
What a missed opportunity not to release it as a set with Renoir's La Chienne but I don't know who holds the rights to that one.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Martin Teller

What a missed opportunity not to release it as a set with Renoir's La Chienne but I don't know who holds the rights to that one.

Very difficult to release a PD film along with a copyrighted production, especially when it comes to royalties.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks