What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sabrina -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Being released day and date with Funny Face,  is another Audrey Hepburn project, Sabrina.  Shot 1.37 and projected cropped as widescreen, this delightful black & white production, makes a sterling entrance to Blu in WB new release.

Apparently negative cut as single strand, dupes for fades, dissolves, titles, etc. are in evidence, but once one gets out of those the quality is extremely pleasing.

With Humphrey Bogart, and William Holden also in leading roles, this is a Blu that should be high on the lists of completists, as it serves multiple purposes.

Very nice gray scale, with rich blacks, Sabrina works beautifully on Blu, and I'm finally pleased to make its acquaintance at 1.85.

One of the great film of the '50s, based upon the play Sabrina Fair (1953) by Samuel Taylor, who also worked on some interesting screenplays.

Great film.  Very nice Blu.  And a steal at its street price.

Image - 4.25

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
classicmovieguy said:
The UK/Australian/European Blu releases are all in the 1:33 ratio... I think I need to double-dip...
I did because I never seen this film in its widescreen format.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm happy to see this film on Blu-ray, if only because it may get us closer to finally seeing Roman Holiday.

Or am I being too hopeful?

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I compared the US version with the international (European) 4:3 version. It's not just the aspect ratio that is different. The US version has a film look with no grain reduction and sharpening and looks darker and less contrast boosted. The 4:3 version is brighter, grain reduced and sharpened and has a digital video look (not extreme but quite obvious compared to the US version). If you prefer the original film look the US version is the preferred one.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
The death of Martha Hyer has been announced.
Oh, I am sorry.

I always admired Martha Hyer both for her acting and the way she conducted herself. She was particularly good at playing well-bred women with normal human frailties, for example in Mister Cory and Houseboat.

She wrote a slim autobiography, Finding My Way, which is well worth reading.

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
classicmovieguy said:
The UK/Australian/European Blu releases are all in the 1:33 ratio... I think I need to double-dip...
Michel_Hafner said:
I compared the US version with the international (European) 4:3 version. It's not just the aspect ratio that is different. The US version has a film look with no grain reduction and sharpening and looks darker and less contrast boosted. The 4:3 version is brighter, grain reduced and sharpened and has a digital video look (not extreme but quite obvious compared to the US version). If you prefer the original film look the US version is the preferred one.
I was just about to buy the UK edition when I happened upon these. Thank you both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks