What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Runaway Train -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For years, Andrei Konchalovsky's 1985 Cannon Group "B" programmer, Runaway Train, has received short shrift from the home video world. Except for a Region B Blu release, it's been available only via collectible DVDs.

Thanks to Twilight Time, the film can now be seen in an almost beautiful Blu-ray via the wonderful stewardship of MGM.

This is a film that's all about beautiful, thick grain. So heavy, and smooth, you can sometimes feel that you can stick a fork in it.

That grain is fully in place. Color is perfect, along with black levels and shadow detail. It's a really nice Blu-ray presentation, that rides along on the disc with the always welcome isolated score and a commentary track.

My only problem is occasional dirt and scratches. Never anything untoward. It's just that they're needlessly there, with the first scratch beginning during the main title sequence.

Produced on a small budget, but never appearing fully low-budget, it's an oddity, as it was nominated for three Academy Awards -- Jon Voight, Eric Roberts, and editor, Henry Richardson.

This alone, should tell you there's something special, and very un-Cannon about the goings on.

Look for Ford / Wayne standard Hank Worden, in one of his last roles, as an elderly con.

This is one Twilight Time release to grab, before it too ends up on eBay.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Great film and fine performances by Jon Voight & Eric Roberts and i can finally replace my old dvd version. I believe Akira Kurosawa was thinking to make this film around the time he was involve in the making of Tora! Tora! Tora!.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[
[...] I believe Akira Kurosawa was thinking to make this film around the time he was involve in the making of Tora! Tora! Tora!.
I believe that the working title was to be "Runaway Tora"; but don't quote me on that.
But be that as it may, don't forget to Voight on Election Day.

P.S. This is a great title offering from TT and a definite purchase. (And that's no joke).

Last edited:

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Saw it when it came out and liked it, but upon reflection, years later, decided that I am not a fan of Nietzshean criminals. They type is often seen in fiction and movies, but seldom in real life (though a number of cons I spoke to when teaching espoused a down-sampled version of the ideas, mainly in the form of rationalization for bad behaviour), so it's a kind of yes I liked it, but no I didn't think it was really a very true script. Still, an impressive piece of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks