1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ronin -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I've always been a huge fan of John Frankenheimer's work, and to me, Ronin is his last real quality effort.

It's an interesting cat and mouse affair, with the bad guys chasing out out-manuerving the other bad guys. But then, there may be three sets of bad guys.

Very good performances, and nice dialogue, from an un-billed David Mamet, make for an overall fun two hour ride.

The wonderful thing here, beyond the film, is a glorious Blu-ray delivered by Arrow, from a new scan derived from the original camera negative.

If you've not seen this one, it's definitely worth your time, as well as the monetary investment.

Beyond that, you get DeNiro and Reno, together again for the first time...

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

DavidJ, PMF, Reggie W and 1 other person like this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yep, I viewed my Arrow UK release last week and found it outstanding in both presentation and bonus material included with this release. The UK release is the same as the US release in presentation and bonus material too. Furthermore, it plays on Region A and B players! Plus, it's a lot cheaper on Amazon UK than Amazon USA site.

3. lark144

lark144 Second Unit
    Supporter

mark gross
    Yes. That's something I also noticed. Many Arrow releases (including Shipping) are cheaper on Amazon.UK; and the majority of them are Region A & B.

SAhmed likes this.
  4. PMF

PMF Cinematographer

Philip
    Interesting to learn that David Mamet was un-billed. Is it known if he played doctor in shaping the script, or if it was a work that was his entire? Ronin is a great addition to those seeking BD access to the Frankenheimer catalog that's been building up over these past few years.

SAhmed likes this.
  5. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    Mamet was script doctor. There was some dispute over billing, so he asked to have his name removed from the credits.

PMF likes this.
  6. BIANCO2NERO

BIANCO2NERO Agent

Mamet's role in polishing the screenplay was known right from the start but he claimed to have used the pseudonym precisely so as to not detract from J.D. Zeik's work as the original author, who was making his debut.

Stephen_J_H and PMF like this.
  7. Mike Robertson

Pulled out my copy that I had received as a gift back in 2009. Looked very good on my LG OLED. So my question is (to anyone who has seen both editions) is the new one a major improvement over the first? Since I had to remove the shrink wrap to play it, I'm thinking it's not one I would revisit often. Of course that's never stopped me before when I had to have a "better" version. Why else buy Stargate 5 or 6 times?

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My copy of the Arrow version just arrived from the U.K. a couple of hours ago, so I have not watched it yet. I probably will not have time to compare it with the older release until next week (I have not sold that one yet), so hopefully someone else can give you some quicker feedback, Mike.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have both Blu-rays. IMO, there is no comparison between the 2009 and this Arrow release. I found the latter to be a major improvement in video, audio and bonus material.

SAhmed and Robin9 like this.
  10. Mike Robertson

Okay, you sold me. Will be on the lookout for a good price and pull the trigger when I find it. One more disk for my sister-in-law. She gets my extras. (Keeps the wife happy.)