What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ronin -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always been a huge fan of John Frankenheimer's work, and to me, Ronin is his last real quality effort.

It's an interesting cat and mouse affair, with the bad guys chasing out out-manuerving the other bad guys. But then, there may be three sets of bad guys.

Very good performances, and nice dialogue, from an un-billed David Mamet, make for an overall fun two hour ride.

The wonderful thing here, beyond the film, is a glorious Blu-ray delivered by Arrow, from a new scan derived from the original camera negative.

If you've not seen this one, it's definitely worth your time, as well as the monetary investment.

Beyond that, you get DeNiro and Reno, together again for the first time...

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, I viewed my Arrow UK release last week and found it outstanding in both presentation and bonus material included with this release. The UK release is the same as the US release in presentation and bonus material too. Furthermore, it plays on Region A and B players! Plus, it's a lot cheaper on Amazon UK than Amazon USA site.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Yes. That's something I also noticed. Many Arrow releases (including Shipping) are cheaper on Amazon.UK; and the majority of them are Region A & B.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Interesting to learn that David Mamet was un-billed. Is it known if he played doctor in shaping the script, or if it was a work that was his entire? Ronin is a great addition to those seeking BD access to the Frankenheimer catalog that's been building up over these past few years.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Mamet was script doctor. There was some dispute over billing, so he asked to have his name removed from the credits.

Reactions: PMF

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
Interesting to learn that David Mamet was un-billed. Is it known if he played doctor in shaping the script, or if it was a work that was his entire? Ronin is a great addition to those seeking BD access to the Frankenheimer catalog that's been building up over these past few years.
Mamet's role in polishing the screenplay was known right from the start but he claimed to have used the pseudonym precisely so as to not detract from J.D. Zeik's work as the original author, who was making his debut.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Pulled out my copy that I had received as a gift back in 2009. Looked very good on my LG OLED. So my question is (to anyone who has seen both editions) is the new one a major improvement over the first? Since I had to remove the shrink wrap to play it, I'm thinking it's not one I would revisit often. Of course that's never stopped me before when I had to have a "better" version. Why else buy Stargate 5 or 6 times?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My copy of the Arrow version just arrived from the U.K. a couple of hours ago, so I have not watched it yet. I probably will not have time to compare it with the older release until next week (I have not sold that one yet), so hopefully someone else can give you some quicker feedback, Mike.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pulled out my copy that I had received as a gift back in 2009. Looked very good on my LG OLED. So my question is (to anyone who has seen both editions) is the new one a major improvement over the first? Since I had to remove the shrink wrap to play it, I'm thinking it's not one I would revisit often. Of course that's never stopped me before when I had to have a "better" version. Why else buy Stargate 5 or 6 times?
I have both Blu-rays. IMO, there is no comparison between the 2009 and this Arrow release. I found the latter to be a major improvement in video, audio and bonus material.

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
I have both Blu-rays. IMO, there is no comparison between the 2009 and this Arrow release. I found the latter to be a major improvement in video, audio and bonus material.
Okay, you sold me. Will be on the lookout for a good price and pull the trigger when I find it. One more disk for my sister-in-law. She gets my extras. (Keeps the wife happy.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks