Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There seems to be a very distinct difference in accessibility and personalities between working actors, who understand that the public is a major factor in their success - and celebrities.

Reactions: Jack K and B-ROLL

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched this last night and it was terrific. Looks beautiful on blu-ray too. Also, I like the extras they chose to include, even if some of them are exactly relevant to RH. This was my first Paramount Presents disc, and I like the label.

Reactions: Osato

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the new Roman Holiday blu ray last night. It’s the first time in HD and only the second time I’ve seen the film. Its a really nice story that’s well played and a very enjoyable film. The two leads are great and I was really glad Joe has the integrity to do what he did.

The blu ray looks great. I have to say it again, I wish the Paramount Presents release of To Catch A Thief blu ray was as free from issues.

Regarding Hepburn films; I’ve also picked up another Hepburn film on blu ray while it was still available, Two for the Road with Albert Finney from Twilight Time. I’d seen some scenes from it on PBS but had not a proper sitting to watch it. It looked interesting and I also like the 1967 Mercedes they are driving. I don’t have a Sabrina yet, I’ve been meaning to add that to the collection. I was never a fan of Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Maybe I’ll get that on Blu Ray and give it another viewing, maybe it was George Peppard, didn’t seem like a good pairing with Hepburn. I definitely didn’t like Mickey Rooney. These with Charade and My Fair Lady that I already have should make an interesting marathon. And I’ve never seen Funny Face.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
[email protected] is an oddity in today's times, but there are parts of it that I still enjoy. Can't help thinking of that scene from Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story when he goes on his date.

Funny Face also has its moments, but many of the musical numbers play a bit awkward to me. Beautiful wardrobe, setting, and Hepburn is probably at her most glamorous.

My least favorite Hepburn film is Paris When It Sizzles, but I have a mind to revisit it to see if my view has changed.

I started watching The Nun's Story again, having just read Dutch Girl, Hepburn's experience with the Nazi occupation of Holland, and it plays so much more poignantly now that I understand how personal the film's subject matter likely was to her.

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Re Nelson Au ... I'd continue to give Breakfast at Tiffany's a miss. Crap when first released; even worse now. IMO, I hasten to say ...
But Charade is simply sublime. And I love Sabrina. So go go go. And anything with Fred Astaire has class, so go for Funny Face as well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I started watching Funny Face on Amazon Prime tonight. (Only got to "Let's Kiss and Make Up" before a series of phone calls ended my night of viewing). It looks fine. Not stupendous, but acceptable, certainly good enough for someone who has free access to it to see if he'd want to own it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Matt, I do have Prime, but I’ve never tried it. Maybe once, for a documentary.

Anthony, thanks for the input on those titles. I’ve seen Charade several times via the Criterion DVD and then blu ray. I’ll probably not get the Universal BD.

Cameron, I don’t care for that scene that Bruce didn’t like either.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ab1979