What's new

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Unlike Amazon's slowness in sending newly released Warner Archive blu rays, Roman Holiday is out for delivery from Amazon today on release day!
I hope Paramount isn't one of those companies that allows Amazon to distribute Amazon-burned discs rather than officially pressed ones.:oops:
Amazon is burning discs?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never saw this film. Not a surprise to most of you who have known me over the years. It has been a slow catching-up to see many of these classic films.

Having just finished viewing this for the first time, the most immediate thought that comes to mind is that it's absolutely PERFECT.

This film was a delight to watch. Nearly 70 years later, this film has not aged for this viewer whose heartstrings were pulled at the end of the film. I choked up quite a few times when the Princess introduces herself to the press. The ending begs for a sequel, but alas...

In my eyes, Audrey Hepburn is the most beautiful woman ever to ever appear in film. After the viewing, I watched a YouTube clip -- one of her very last appearances -- of the actress receiving her BAFTA award in 1992. In case you haven't seen it, I will include it below. She was the real deal. She never lost her grace or beauty.

The transfer, for me, looked quite good. I suppose had we the original negatives, it would look as stunning as some other restorations I have seen. However, under the circumstances, I think Paramount did a great job here.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Never saw this film. Not a surprise to most of you who have known me over the years. It has been a slow catching-up to see many of these classic films.

Having just finished viewing this for the first time, the most immediate thought that comes to mind is that it's absolutely PERFECT.

This film was a delight to watch. Nearly 70 years later, this film has not aged for this viewer whose heartstrings were pulled at the end of the film. I choked up quite a few times when the Princess introduces herself to the press. The ending begs for a sequel, but alas...

There were supposedly discussions about Hepburn and Peck doing a sequel in the 70s, but it just didn't happen.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm glad it never happened - usually you just have to "let the mystery be." I think that point was proved for some with the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso and the subplot of the main character's childhood love interest.

Oh my. Done right that could have been wonderful.

There were supposedly discussions about Hepburn and Peck doing a sequel in the 70s, but it just didn't happen.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Unlike Amazon's slowness in sending newly released Warner Archive blu rays, Roman Holiday is out for delivery from Amazon today on release day!
I hope Paramount isn't one of those companies that allows Amazon to distribute Amazon-burned discs rather than officially pressed ones.:oops:
While Paramount has released some burn-on-demand titles recently [Atlantic City; On a Clear Day, You Can See Forever; The Two Jakes], this is part of a special release series [Paramount Presents] and highly unlikely to be a burned disc.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr

In my eyes, Audrey Hepburn is the most beautiful woman ever to ever appear in film. After the viewing, I watched a YouTube clip -- one of her very last appearances -- of the actress receiving her BAFTA award in 1992. In case you haven't seen it, I will include it below. She was the real deal. She never lost her grace or beauty.

The transfer, for me, looked quite good. I suppose had we the original negatives, it would look as stunning as some other restorations I have seen. However, under the circumstances, I think Paramount did a great job here.

Truly an outstanding human being. We are lucky to have our 'souvenirs' of her acting performances along with the humanitarian work she performed world wide.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Truly an outstanding human being. We are lucky to have our 'souvenirs' of her acting performances along with the humanitarian work she performed world wide.
Indeed. The one actor whose death actually brought tears to my eyes because she made a difference in this world through her humanitarian work. Had she just been a radiant, wonderful actor, she would have provided a lot of pleasure in a fleeting, perhaps shallow way. But there was so much more in her heart and in her life, and that made the difference. A great human being, full of empathy and love.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what the situation with TWO JAKES is, but I just got the budget-friendly THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER on Tuesday and it's definitely a pressed disc. Got FUNERAL IN BERLIN through MovieZyng.com which apparently does a lot of replication and, while Amazon apparently sells BD-Rs of that title, I got a pressed disc from them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Not sure what the situation with TWO JAKES is, but I just got the budget-friendly THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER on Tuesday and it's definitely a pressed disc. Got FUNERAL IN BERLIN through MovieZyng.com which apparently does a lot of replication and, while Amazon apparently sells BD-Rs of that title, I got a pressed disc from them.
How can you tell what is pressed and what is burned?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Usually burned discs you can see a demarcation line of where the disc has been burned with data, working from the center out.

CompSci_img020.gif

Here's a thread from another forum that has some photos of Blu-rays that have been burned. https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23530

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks