What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Rollercoaster -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You'll find the name Jennings Lang on a number of Universal films between 1969 and 1985.

His productions tended to be quality affairs, many with Clint Eastwood, but eventually turned toward lesser fair -- fun films, using technical hype like the wonders of Sensurround, or additions to the Airport series.

Earthquake and Rollercoaster were the two audio enhanced films, and both using top stars as attractions, were a bit above TV quality.

I've not seen Rollercoaster since it was originally released. I'd forgotten that Helen Hunt played George Segal's daughter, and that Craig Wasson makes his first appearance in a bit in the film.

Shout Factory's newly minted Blu-ray is top quality, as Universal seems to be making an effort toward the catalog library.

Imagery is highly resolved, with proper grain structure, color, densities, all in line.

In order to get proper Sensurround, you'll have to add a number of large subs to your setup, which probably won't be worth it for a couple of films, but apparently the audio is there, if you desire it.

The film has its fans, who should be extremely pleased with the release.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Re: Jennings Lang

I remember going to an advance preview of AIRPORT 75 at the late Tysons Twin Cinema in suburban DC. There were large standees heralding the special screening, and the standees apparently had a omission in the printing. As a result, someone using a Magic Marker had to scribble on each one in large letters "Executive Producer Jennings Lang". Everyone in line chuckled and wondered if Lang himself had done that.

My former neighbors were relatives of Lang, and told me about his infamous shooting by CLEOPATRA producer Walter Wanger, and how Lang put his wife Monica Lewis in all the Universal disaster movies he produced (including ROLLERCOASTER).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"Albert, I've got two words for you--James Caan."--Jennings Lang as the speakerphone voice of "Martin Brand" in Albert Brooks' REAL LIFE (78).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Was that released in theaters? Must have missed it.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
After seeing "Rollercoaster" with my father on its first release, on leaving the cinema he swore that he'd never go to the cinema with me again. He kept his word for almost 20 years.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Don't forget Volcano (Krakatoa East of Java) was released in Sensurround at European theatres.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Volcano (Krakatoa East of Java) was released in Sensurround at European theatres.
Where did you read that?. I see that it was originally released 70mm with 6 track stereo sound but nothing about Sensurround. which seems unlikely since the movie was released in 1969 and Universal didn't coin the term Sensurround and release their first movie with the new format until 1974 with Earthquake. Also Krakatoa was not a Universal film.
Update: Ok I see there is some user added trivia at imdb that suggests that it was re-released in Europe after Earthquake with Sensurround and retitled: Volcano. Not sure if that's true I have never read that anywhere before. It would be odd given the popularity of disaster movies and sensurround at the time that it would not have also been re-released to the US would have been a money maker for sure. Also seems odd that Universal would be willing to license out their new potential goldmine sensurround so quickly.
But I see they changed the name to Feelarama so it wasn't actually Sensurround but a copy of it. That makes more sense. I'm surprised Universal didn't sue.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Where did you read that?. I see that it was originally released 70mm with 6 track stereo sound but nothing about Sensurround. which seems unlikely since the movie was released in 1969 and Universal didn't coin the term Sensurround and release their first movie with the new format until 1974 with Earthquake. Also Krakatoa was not a Universal film.
Update: Ok I see there is some user added trivia at imdb that suggests that it was re-released in Europe after Earthquake with Sensurround and retitled: Volcano. Not sure if that's true I have never read that anywhere before. It would be odd given the popularity of disaster movies and sensurround at the time that it would not have also been re-released to the US would have been a money maker for sure. Also seems odd that Universal would be willing to license out their new potential goldmine sensurround so quickly.
But I see they changed the name to Feelarama so it wasn't actually Sensurround but a copy of it. That makes more sense. I'm surprised Universal didn't sue.

It was reissued in Europe and titled Volcano. While they used the Sensurround process it was advertised as in "Feelarama". It's Google friendly.

I understand that Zoot Suite was released in a few theatres in the US in Sensurround.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
It was reissued in Europe and titled Volcano. While they used the Sensurround process it was advertised as in "Feelarama". It's Google friendly.

I understand that Zoot Suite was released inn a few theatres in the US in Sensurround.

Reissued in the US also.

Newspaper ad.
volcano.jpg

Movie poster
volcan1.jpg

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
You'll find the name Jennings Lang on a number of Universal films between 1969 and 1985.

RAH

Jennings' beautiful wife Monica Lewis, aka The Chiquita Banana Girl, died just last year. She was active on social media and was so smart and entertaining and sweet. Her son maintains a tribute page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/monicalewissings/?fref=ts
Her autobiography is also available, which highlights her love affair with Jennings (and being pursued by one Ronald Reagan!).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Reissued in the US also.

Newspaper ad.
volcano.jpg

Movie poster
volcan1.jpg

I thought it was just in Europe that appeared in "Feelarama", but the newspaper ad tells us that it had a few US dates. [emoji3]

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read your top caption when I posted this. [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks