What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Road to Bali -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
For me, the best ROAD pictures are the middle three: ROAD TO MOROCCO, ROAD TO UTOPIA and ROAD TO RIO. That last one seems headed for Blu ray, but the first two are owned by Universal, so who knows. Although I have the blu for ROAD TO HONG KONG, for me, it just doesn't feel like it belongs in the series: Different studio, leads a bit too old, Lamour reduced to a cameo and the film just seems tired. I love many of Bob Hope films. The best period was 1939 through the early 50s. If my arm was twisted I would pick MY FAVORITE BLONDE as my favorite.

My Favorite Blonde has always been my favourite as well., followed by The Princess and the Pirate.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Bing and Bob recorded the title song for Decca, but they opted not to use the full version with lyrics for the movie itself.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Although I have the blu for ROAD TO HONG KONG, for me, it just doesn't feel like it belongs in the series: Different studio, leads a bit too old, Lamour reduced to a cameo and the film just seems tired.

The irony, of course, is that, at ELEVEN years younger than both of the male leads, Lamour was considered too "old" to play the female love interest. Bob fought for her, but Bing didn't. That the producers thought Joan Collins, a full THIRTY years younger than both Bing and Bob, was a more suitable female lead is simply ridiculous. Lamour ultimately agreed to the (humiliating) cameo only as a favor to Bob, whom she adored.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The irony, of course, is that, at ELEVEN years younger than both of the male leads, Lamour was considered too "old" to play the female love interest. Bob fought for her, but Bing didn't. That the producers thought Joan Collins, a full THIRTY years younger than both Bing and Bob, was a more suitable female lead is simply ridiculous. Lamour ultimately agreed to the (humiliating) cameo only as a favor to Bob, whom she adored.
And she is unquestionably the best thing in the movie. I mean that. Her final fifteen or twenty minutes is the fastest and funniest sequence in the picture.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
As long as we've brought up the topic of sarongs and Lamour, can anyone on earth tell my why Universal has kept "The Jungle Princess" (1936-Paramount) so maddeningly hidden away all these years? I don't think it's even circulated anywhere since the days of those old 16mm MCA syndicated film packages and the local late-shows that leased them. No vhs, no cable-tv, no dvd, etc. Hasn't made it to the Universal Vault series, although they did bring out an old transfer of the Technicolor follow-up, "Her Jungle Love" (1938). Anyway, it just seems to amaze me how this film which was a pretty prominent and highly popular release of its day has somehow been so strikingly neglected over the years. Hope it's not indicative of a problem with elements.

I used to enjoy those Lamour sarong pictures, although they tended to devolve more and more into silly fluff as they went along. "Typhoon," "Aloma of the South Seas," "Beyond the Blue Horizon." I think the last one was "Rainbow Island" (1944), and that one was indeed pretty dumb and pointless. But going back to that first one, "The Jungle Princess," that one was a real delight.

Universal has preserved virtually all of Dottie's films, but that's as far as it goes. I was pushing for a Lamour box set, but they're loathe to put out anything they haven't already released half a dozen times already. I'm hoping to show MOON OVER BURMA at next year's Cinecon.

Mike S.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Ron:

I had to do a Google search. I would strongly suspect this is the fella to whom Mr. Harris was referring. But I'm not certain.

It's me. Mr. Harris and I have been friends for the better part of 35 years, and he was just having a little fun with me. Actually, I've never been called "mysterious" before. And compared to what I'm usually called, it's downright flattering! :D

Mike S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks