What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Reconstruction: America After the Civil War -- DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've mentioned here previously, that I'm a huge fan of Prof. Gates, and his work.

One of the leading proponents toward education of the black experience, and history, his four hour PBS documentary on the Reconstruction Era is a winner.

Most casual viewers of American history, probably look at the 13th Amendment to our Constitution, and think, "that's nice...

The end to slavery. Gone. Abolished."

Not so fast.

When the Amendment became law, slavery, as people knew it was gone, but all of those affected people and their families, were generally left to fend for themselves, in a world that was unknown to them.

Where would they live, earn a living, raises their families -- and in the cases of thousands of those affected, attempt to locate their families, destroyed by the sale of family members to others, in other cities, or parts of the country.

Before one even gets into the fact that blacks were not considered the equal to other citizens, by much of the population, there was that myriad of other problems.

This doc gets into the history, the reality of the situation, and attempts, quite well, I feel, to explain the era, and set that record straight.

A quality document, from start to finish, and recommend viewing for all.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, thank's for the heads up as I bought this DVD this morning. I hope to have it by next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks