A Few Words About A few words about...™ Re-Animator -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator is one of those little films -- much like Night of The Living Dead, Scream, or any number of campers vs monsters productions -- that could.

Made on a tiny budget, with many familiar faces, it's been released as a boxed set, weighing in at over a pound, by Arrow, and the final result of the work is worthwhile.

According to the liner notes, the image harvest has been derived from both OCN as well as IP, and grain structure does change a bit, throughout.

Color is excellent, as are black levels.

My only criticism might be light vertical scratches that have not been cleaned up, presumably a part of the dry gate scan of the OCN.

Might it have been better to go with IP? Possibly.

But even better, to clean up the scratches.

All in all, a wonderful boxed set for fans, which is inclusive of two versions of the film, along with a plethora of extras.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

bgart13 likes this.
  2. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Are wet-gate transfers more expensive (thus avoided here) due to the prep and mess?

I just checked out the Integral version and it's a whole lotta awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed the Arrow release, even better than the green Elite Millennium Edition.

So grab your disembodied head and stumble -- don't run -- to your nearest retailer.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    There are multiple flavors of wet gate. More expense. Some solve specific problems, but not all.

Some solve some problems, but add others.

A slippery slope.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    On Amazon it says it has the "Integral" version. What is that?

5. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

6. 6 Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    There were multiple cuts of this movie. Imagine trying to make an R-rated version. Once you removed all the horrific gore and over-the-top nudity, you'd be left with... something that needs more "talking" scenes to fill out the run-time. Those are what round out the "integral" version, only all the other stuff is left in. So you still get exploding eyeballs.

And really, what movie couldn't be improved upon by a recut that leaves in the exploding eyeballs? I'm looking at you, Casablanca.

It's different and arguably "better," as you get some interesting character development not found in the original version.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I just added this release to camel camel camel and discovered that in June the Arrow release had dropped to $23. It is now $40. I think I'll wait for it to get close to the $23 and then make my purchase.

8. 8 Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Anybody know how this compares to the Second Sight BD versions? i.e. Would the Arrow package be an upgrade for me?

The SS version says the Unrated version is from a new 4K "restoration" (maybe not so much according to RAH, more like a new scan); the set has the Integral version too. I really don't know much about it other than what the box says, it's the only version I've ever seen/had. And I don't know if I even noticed the vertical scratches, I didn't remark on them in my "review" of the discs, so I assume they didn't bother me, some damage types don't.

9. Derrick King

Derrick King Supporting Actor

Both the Arrow and Second Sight releases are from the same master. The Arrow is said to have a better encode, has some new/exclusive extras and fixes some some small issues with the opening credit sequence. So, I'd say it is a slight upgrade, but unless you are a massive fan or want a region A version, I'm not too if it would be worth double dipping.

Phil Menard and CraigF like this.