What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Re-Animator -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator is one of those little films -- much like Night of The Living Dead, Scream, or any number of campers vs monsters productions -- that could.

Made on a tiny budget, with many familiar faces, it's been released as a boxed set, weighing in at over a pound, by Arrow, and the final result of the work is worthwhile.

According to the liner notes, the image harvest has been derived from both OCN as well as IP, and grain structure does change a bit, throughout.

Color is excellent, as are black levels.

My only criticism might be light vertical scratches that have not been cleaned up, presumably a part of the dry gate scan of the OCN.

Might it have been better to go with IP? Possibly.

But even better, to clean up the scratches.

All in all, a wonderful boxed set for fans, which is inclusive of two versions of the film, along with a plethora of extras.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Are wet-gate transfers more expensive (thus avoided here) due to the prep and mess?

I just checked out the Integral version and it's a whole lotta awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed the Arrow release, even better than the green Elite Millennium Edition.

So grab your disembodied head and stumble -- don't run -- to your nearest retailer.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Are wet-gate transfers more expensive (thus avoided here) due to the prep and mess?

I just checked out the Integral version and it's a whole lotta awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed the Arrow release, even better than the green Elite Millennium Edition.

So grab your disembodied head and stumble -- don't run -- to your nearest retailer.

There are multiple flavors of wet gate. More expense. Some solve specific problems, but not all.

Some solve some problems, but add others.

A slippery slope.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
There were multiple cuts of this movie. Imagine trying to make an R-rated version. Once you removed all the horrific gore and over-the-top nudity, you'd be left with... something that needs more "talking" scenes to fill out the run-time. Those are what round out the "integral" version, only all the other stuff is left in. So you still get exploding eyeballs.

And really, what movie couldn't be improved upon by a recut that leaves in the exploding eyeballs? I'm looking at you, Casablanca.

It's different and arguably "better," as you get some interesting character development not found in the original version.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just added this release to camel camel camel and discovered that in June the Arrow release had dropped to $23. It is now $40. I think I'll wait for it to get close to the $23 and then make my purchase.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Anybody know how this compares to the Second Sight BD versions? i.e. Would the Arrow package be an upgrade for me?

The SS version says the Unrated version is from a new 4K "restoration" (maybe not so much according to RAH, more like a new scan); the set has the Integral version too. I really don't know much about it other than what the box says, it's the only version I've ever seen/had. And I don't know if I even noticed the vertical scratches, I didn't remark on them in my "review" of the discs, so I assume they didn't bother me, some damage types don't.

Last edited:

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Both the Arrow and Second Sight releases are from the same master. The Arrow is said to have a better encode, has some new/exclusive extras and fixes some some small issues with the opening credit sequence. So, I'd say it is a slight upgrade, but unless you are a massive fan or want a region A version, I'm not too if it would be worth double dipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks