1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pyewacket -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I always enjoy discovering newly minted low-budget films that represent new talent - writer/director Adam MacDonald and lead actress Nicole Muñoz.

The steadfast factor of stability here, with a bit of bottle age, is Laurie Holden, as Nicole's mother.

Pyewacket (presumably named after Kim Novak's cat(s) in Bell, Book and Candle, is a genuinely creepy film, that works under the concept of "Be careful what you wish for. Someone may hear you."

And the problem is that the someone is a demon, that won't go away.

Photographed in a very specific low chroma style, by Canadian DP, Christian Bielz - Pyewacket is a Canadian production, shot in Ontario.

While it won't have you viewing through the space between your fingers, the IFC Films production, released via Scream Factory, is worthy of your attention.

Low budget. Tiny cast.

It works.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Peter Keller and JoshuaB. like this.
  2. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Jay
    Thanks for the review, Mr. Harris, any attention to Canadian cinema is appreciated! As with many Canadian productions, this film didn’t screen in either of Calgary’s two arthouse theatres (or any of the Landmark or Cineplex theatres), so I was only able to view it on the The Movie Network (yes, we still have cable). I thoroughly enjoyed the film, as the location of Sault Ste. Marie’s forests contributed to the film’s unnerving tone (Canadian geography as a physical metaphor for isolation is a constant theme in much of our literature and arts). I look forward to owning the Scream Factory Blu-ray!

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Most folks down here in the lower 48, don’t know how much film & TV is short up there. We love Canadians. As long as you stay away from the White House with anything aflame.

Please don’t do that again.

B-ROLL likes this.