What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Prometheus 3D-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
This film could have been much worse than it is and I still could have liked it.....
but they just had to make the Space Jockeys human. When I heard that was going to happen, I about flipped my table over. That very alien looking corpse we saw in ALIEN was just a suit that a human was wearing? No thank you. For everyone who loves the film, you can keep your so-called Engineers. I'm keeping my alien Space Jockeys.

MatS

Screenwriter
RobHam said:
The one movie I would compare it to wouldnt be 2001, but Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" - another movie with astonishingly ambitious visuals, but also destroyed by poor characterisation and a ridiculous script.
this is a great comparison ... one I don't think I've heard till now or thought of till you said it
though Prometheus is much more visually stunning than Sunshine

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
RobHam said:
The one movie I would compare it to wouldnt be 2001, but Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" - another movie with astonishingly ambitious visuals, but also destroyed by poor characterisation and a ridiculous script.
This comparison occurred to me as well. Personally, I thought Sunshine was very good until its somewhat ludicrous third act. Up until then, I thought it was a very interesting piece of science fiction with some really ingenious sequences. I wasn't particularly bothered by its characterization when I saw it a few years ago.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray/60#post_3990638
This film could have been much worse than it is and I still could have liked it.....
but they just had to make the Space Jockeys human. When I heard that was going to happen, I about flipped my table over. That very alien looking corpse we saw in ALIEN was just a suit that a human was wearing? No thank you. For everyone who loves the film, you can keep your so-called Engineers. I'm keeping my alien Space Jockeys.

I've been a huge fan of Alien since the late 70's, and I was never really committed either way to whether the Space Jockey was humanoid or alien. I always thought it was supposed to be ambiguous as to what the heck it was. I thought it looked like it had been dead for a long time and had over time molded into the chair. Its big snout/hose thing could have been a mask or some sort of apparatus, or maybe it was a part of the creature itself. Either way, it didn't bother me when it turned out that the whole thing was a suit and a helmet. I don't get why people have had such a negative reaction to this.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Ted Van Duyn said:
but they just had to make the Space Jockeys human. When I heard that was going to happen, I about flipped my table over. That very alien looking corpse we saw in ALIEN was just a suit that a human was wearing?
Okay, just so we're clear, the Engineers aren't human. Humanoid in appearance, sure. But Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, et. al. are the humans in the movie. The Engineer is still an alien, don't worry :)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
MattAlbie60 said:
But Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, et. al. are the humans in the movie.
Well, Charlize may or may not be a robot, and it's to the movie's detriment that the answer to that question really doesn't matter.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
MattAlbie60 said:
Okay, just so we're clear, the Engineers aren't human. Humanoid in appearance, sure. But Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, et. al. are the humans in the movie. The Engineer is still an alien, don't worry :)
Don't they say in the film that the Engineers and human have the same DNA?

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
They have certain elements of shared DNA because they (in theory) created life on Earth. But they are not "humans" in the literal sense, no.

Kurosawa

Agent
Real Name
David Fyten
I'd be wary of watching Prometheus in 3-D because you could see the actors' backs and, therefore, the wooden stands propping up their cardboard caricatures.
Call me literal, but my patience was already wearing thin when Noomi Rapace bounded off that operating table and bolted down the hall moments after undergoing the most invasive surgery imaginable. Then I was outta there.
I'm sure it's a stunning BRD, but I require an intelligent (and intelligible) story, plausibility, competent screenwriting, and well-developed characters. But to each his own.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
MattAlbie60 said:
They have certain elements of shared DNA because they (in theory) created life on Earth. But they are not "humans" in the literal sense, no.
...which is why the movie doesn't answer any interesting questions about the origins of human life. I'm not sure how 'we came here from another planet by way of DNA pollination' is any more worthy of contemplation than 'we came here from another planet by way of the #11 bus'.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Didn't say it was. Just wanted to be clear to that guy who was freaking out about them being human that they weren't human, is all.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Call me literal, but my patience was already wearing thin when Noomi Rapace bounded off that operating table and bolted down the hall moments after undergoing the most invasive surgery imaginable. Then I was outta there.
Like many others on the HTF (I'm sure), I've had several surgical procedures around my abdomen and I assure you that I was not bolting anywhere for weeks. :) Yeah, that bothered me also.
- Walter.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel /t/324523/a-few-words-about-prometheus-3d-in-blu-ray/60#post_3990744
Like many others on the HTF (I'm sure), I've had several surgical procedures around my abdomen and I assure you that I was not bolting anywhere for weeks. Yeah, that bothered me also.
- Walter.

Heck, I busted my elbow last year and I couldn't use it in any capacity for two months. Every tingle sent a nausea-like wave through the arm. The only thing I can think of in regards to Prometheus is she got totally killer pain meds....

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Regarding the tagline "Questions will be answered", where are the questions actually answered? I have the 3D set, but haven't dug into it yet except to quickly check out the 3D, which does look stunning. But, are the "questions" answered in the commentaries or supplements? I am assuming the film is the same as that shown theatrically?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Again, most people just want to be entertained and are not looking for the secret of life or even to poke holes in the plotline.
1) As dpippel also pointed out, the movie explicitly promises to deliver the "secret of life." That's what the movie is about. It's kind of hard to miss this.
2) I do not personally find the "Turn off your brain" defense to be a compelling argument. YMMV.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
MattAlbie60 said:
Didn't say it was. Just wanted to be clear to that guy who was freaking out about them being human that they weren't human, is all.
I'll have to go back and rewatch the scene, but I could have sworn that Shaw calls the Engineer/Human DNA analysis "an exact match", which would make them human. Or us Engineers. Doesn't she also literally say "They're us." or something to that effect? Someone please correct me if my memory is faulty.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Yeah, but don't forget about the heavy-handed religious metaphor of it all ;) Just because the "creator" used "part of themselves" to "create life on Earth" doesn't mean that the product of life on Earth (us) is then literally the same thing as the creator.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
MattAlbie60 said:
Yeah, but don't forget about the heavy-handed religious metaphor of it all ;) Just because the "creator" used "part of themselves" to "create life on Earth" doesn't mean that the product of life on Earth (us) is then literally the same thing as the creator.
Well, an exact match is just that - an exact match. As in the same. There's no metaphor involved.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
dpippel said:
I'll have to go back and rewatch the scene, but I could have sworn that Shaw calls the Engineer/Human DNA analysis "an exact match", which would make them human. Or us Engineers. Doesn't she also literally say "They're us." or something to that effect?
And that would make the whole DNA-pollination/Christian sacrifice-suicide concept redundant... so what exactly are we looking at, again?
An alien who is genetically identical to us (yet, somehow enormously tall, muscular and with severe albinism) comes to Earth to off himself and spill his genetic code into the currents, where it does not combine with anything else (yet, somehow, produces smaller and rosier but still genetically identical beings) because this is a better/easier way to seed the planet than would be bringing a few ladies with him, building himself a nice grass hut and getting it on?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
dpippel said:
I'll have to go back and rewatch the scene, but I could have sworn that Shaw calls the Engineer/Human DNA analysis "an exact match", which would make them human. Or us Engineers. Doesn't she also literally say "They're us." or something to that effect? Someone please correct me if my memory is faulty.
I haven't seen Prometheus since opening day, so I too am willing to be corrected, but this more or less matches my memory of the scene. It's one of the things that most bugged me about the movie, because it really doesn't make any logical sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks