What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Poldark -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I've always been a sucker for extremely high quality British television programming, and when I heard that Poldark, which I'd not seen, but about which I'd read great things was coming to Blu-ray...

Back around 1975, the novels by Winston Graham, who also wrote the novel on which Hitchcock's Marnie is based, arrived on UK television over two seasons of 29 episodes.  The earlier version, which starred Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees, is available from Acorn.  When the new series was announced, many who saw the original questioned why it was being remade.  As good as the first outing was, the answer can be found by watching the new version.

Forty years later, the series has been reimagined with Aidan Turner and Eleanor Tomlinson in the leads, along with a superb supporting cast, and the results are never less than astonishing.

Returning to his native Cornwall after representing the losing side during the American Revolution, Ross Poldark finds his family in shambles, the girl he loved betrothed to his cousin, and the economy in the region at low ebb.

The first season (yes, there's a second coming) of eight episodes captures the attention of the viewer, and never lets it go for the next 8 hours.

One of the major attributes of the production, is its location photography by Adam Etherington and Cinders Forshaw, which makes the locations, especially  in Cornwall, appear both magnificent and foreboding.

Poldark was shot with an Alexa, and a bit of help from a 4k Blackmagic camera for aerial shots of the coastline. (go here: http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/How-Lens-Foundry-shot-Poldarks-cornish-coast_nid-5438.html )

The first season of Poldark is serious drama, unhesitatingly dark and difficult at times, which only makes the wait for season two a difficult one.

Currently available from Amazon for $35, and well worth the price of admission.

A magnificent series that comes highly recommended.

RAH

Tom Logan

Second Unit
I caught the first episode on my local PBS this past Sunday, and was disappointed to see some video-like images (HFR?) and smearing, especially during interior shots that had camera movement. (Also my current problem with Michael Mann (Blackhat, Public Enemy) and others.)

The show itself seemed promising, and I didn't know the whole season was out already. Thanks for the review!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
My wife is an Aidan Turner fan, I have no idea why, but I am also enjoying this version. We are also really enjoying "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" on BBC America - highly recommended.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
For those on the fence about purchasing this show (as I was),

it can be had on Blu-ray currently at shopPBS.org for $23.99, as they are having 20% off Poldark and Downton Abbey sale.

This makes Poldark several dollars cheaper than its current price at Amazon, even if you pay for shipping. I opted to by another program from shopPBS.org, another Blu-ray that was also cheaper than at Amazon, and therefore I am getting free shipping since I passed the $59 requirement, and, frankly, I'd rather give my money to PBS than Amazon if the prices are competitive.

The sale ends on August 3rd at 11:59 PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks